Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Kathryn is 6!


I can't believe that my sweet little girl is 6! It seems like a world away from the time that she first came here to be with us. She has been here in our home with us for the past 2 1/2 years. I can hardly remember life without her. I have worked so hard to not let her past define her negatively. I know this is not an easy task and I have relied on prayer so much. Now that she is here with us, our family is not complete without her. Six things I love about Kathryn-

1. She is so helpful! She will give up what she is doing to make others happy. Namely the 3 yr old in our family. She helps with him a lot!
2. She is a morning person. In the morning before school, I have no idea what time she wakes up. She gets up and makes her bed, then sits in her room until the rest of us wake up. She doesn't want to wake us, that's what she tells me. And the making her bed part, all her idea but I love it!
3. She is so loving! She will be the first to give you a hug and stay right by your side. Also, she loves animals, something I am not fond of. She is always telling me how much she loves them and wants one here in our house. Yikes!
4. She is a great swimmer. Last summer when the kids took lessons, she was always ahead of the others, swimming like a fish. Underwater, using a stroke, whatever they taught her, I was impressed with her, it was her first year.
5. She has a memory that will not quit! She can remember when I get lost. She remembers the names of people that come over to get their hair done. She never forgets a promised reward or dessert. She can recall the stories we read in FHE or the ones in her primary class when I ask her about people in the scriptures.
6. She has such a strong spirit! I know Heavenly Father blessed her to be strong. Her dad died at 14 months, and then her mom was not able to care for the 9 kids left at home. She is Milo's little half sister so that is how we came in to the picture to get her into a better home. She is split up from her full siblings but we have been honest about this with her and hope she can understand how much we love her and want her here.

I know this all might be confusing. It usually is even when I tell it in person. I do love Kathryn as my own. That did not come over night even though I wanted it to. My boys love her so much, they do not even know life with out her. Nathan was 2 1/2 and Dane was only 7 months old. When I look back, I must have been directed by the spirit, who would decide to take on a 3 1/2 year old when the other two were still do little? I know she is answer to prayer and I know I have so much to learn from her sweet, strong resilient spirit.

Happy Birthday Kat!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post Melanie...it made my eyes water. You are both angels...and I know you well enough to say it and mean it :)

jenny said...

What a sweet post. Happy Birthday Kat.

Bond Girl 007 said...

Wow, I always love birthdays...all the possibilities!

Jill said...

Wow that's quite a story, you and Milo must be amazing people too. Happy Birthday to Kat!

everything pink! said...

love it. aren't you so glad you have a blog just to have all these written down.
what a grat mom!

Anonymous said...

the pu ssy isn't quite ready yet but that sweet arse is