
This was Dane last night at midnight, so sad looking in the ER. At bedtime he was playing around after we had said prayer. Milo and the big kids were in the kitchen and I was still in the living room. Between the two rooms he started screaming out in pain and we had no idea what happened (still don't actually). He kept saying over and over his arm hurt and that it wouldn't work. We think he fell with his upper body and all of his 30 lbs down on his elbow and twisted it. Who knows. I didn't take him right in, we just gave him some ibuprofen and he went to bed willingly. Around 10:45, before Milo left for work, I went to check on him. I didn't even touch him, just woke him with sound, again he started screaming and couldn't sit up or roll over. By this time I was starting to get a little concerned. I knew it must be serious because it was his left elbow (he sucks his left thumb) and he wasn't even trying to put it in his mouth, just crying because he said he couldn't. It was so heartbreaking.We got right into the ER, there was no wait, and they took us back to the x-ray room. When we got back there he was crying and crying, asking us to stop and to take him home. Again, heartbreaking. They had to take two pictures, one with his arm straight (he screamed) and the other bent (he only whined). When she came to take the film to get developed she said sometimes if it is dislocated that might do the trick to put it back in place. She was gone about 1 min and he started sucking his left thumb. WHAT??!! I said can you move your arm now and he swung it in all directions and said it was better now. I about DIED! At that point I was relieved it wasn't broken but also felt a little silly being there. If only I had waited until morning. Oh well that is what insurance is for, right? They called it nurse maid elbow, or something like that. Usually caused by pulling on the arm but for whatever reason happened to him differently. Have you ever taken you child to the ER and it turned out to be for no reason?
I have decided this kid is here to test me, try me, make me LAUGH all the time and essentially make a liar out of me. Good story for later in his life right?
This is the 'snack' that Nathan got at preschool today. A mom made 18 of these for the 4 & 5 year olds to devour. Is this crazy or is it just me. I am all for a cute snack but how much time would this have taken? I'm sure the cost wasn't cheap either. Nutter Butter cookie, Hostess cupcake, candy corn, jelly beans, chocolate graham cracker, reg graham cracker, chocolate and white frosting. I'm tired just thinking about it. I decided her day has more hours than mine. Would you spend the time making these turkeys?Tomorrow we are going to start cooking for Thanksgiving. All the peeling, chopping, mixing should be a good time. I hope the kids are good so we can get all the prep work done.
5 comments:
Those pictures of Dane crying are so sad. I think you did the right thing by taking him in to the ER. It's rather mysterious that his arm hurt so much and that you guys don't know how it go dislocated, but since you couldn't have put it back into place yourselves then it's not a wasted visit to the ER. He still may be here to test you, but at least the poor kid could suck his thumb after that visit.
As for the preschool snack, I bet you anything the woman who made these was irritated and felt like an idiot by the time she finished. It seems like one of those idea that sounds fun but then end ups being expensive and time consuming, and ultimately wasted on little kids who don't appreciate the effort involved. Kind of funny really.
The look on his little face is heartbreaking! Mya had the same thing with her arm twice now- the first time I was so worried and we took her to insta-care and they bent it back and did the x-ray thing. The second time I just knew and did what the nurse did with bending it. It was the saddest thing both times.
I can't believe those turkeys for a preschool snack- that poor woman. I would send her a thank you note just so she knew that someone appreciated all the work she put into it. I wouldn't see myself doing that :/
I can not tell you how many times I went to the dr. only to have the child in question be perfectly fine when we got there. I honestly wondered about actually going in to meet with the doctor, but you know, when you're already there...
Now, this comment from a woman who MADE little pillowcases with invites in them for my four year old's birthday party, just remember that it is all about priorities. My priority isn't designing, or decorating a very cute birthday cake, but it is about making a cute invite. We all have our vices. Hers is preschool treats, yours is something else.
This very same thing has happened to my 4 yr old countless times. Let's just say that I am now an expert at fixing it, but we have been to the ER twice for it, because the second time it seemed like it was her wrist bothering her as well. Just be careful, the DR told me that until they are about 5 yrs old, the tendon over the elbow is really relaxed and doesn't firm up completely until then. So, it is quite common to have it happen again. It is so sad to have these things happen to our kiddos though. I'm with you on the child that makes you wonder if they will survive childhood, my 4 yr old has been to the ER at least 8 times! Craziness!
So sad. And maddening! I haven't been to the ER much, but I have had several dr. visits where the sick child is mysteriously better. Good grief.
I absolutely love what Susan said, "We all have our vices. Hers is preschool treats, yours is something else." SO true! I probably wouldn't have made those treats, but I do a lot of crazy things.
Post a Comment