Today was busy and scheduled right until the end. I did hair this morning and when that was over we braved Walmart. It was ugly. First of the month, first Sat of December and sunshine. Yeah, none of these were good combos for a trip with all three kids!
When they got up we put decorated the gingerbread house together (a kit from Costco). Surprisingly there was not any fighting and they shared the candy. I know, it does seem crazy but, we actually had fun doing it. Usually they argue about who gets the next turn and that the other person took what they wanted. I think it turned out pretty cute even if it looks like it is from a kit. They are so proud of it and want to know when they can eat it (yuck!).Journey to Bethlehem
Every year our stake does a nativity. For a few years they would display hundreds of different nativities from all over the world. I LOVED it, mostly because of my love for nativities. Last year they decided to do something different. They called it a Journey to Bethlehem and I was skeptical. I mean I felt the Spirit just looking at nativities so why mess with it. I was quickly won over, they did a great job. But this year, this year they did a fabulous job. We braved the weather 17^F! (brrrr), bundled up and out we went. SO much work went into it, I wanted to take more pictures to 'walk you through Bethlehem' but my camera battery was quickly dying. So stupid not to charge it! You walked around outside and they gave you a penny to pay your taxes. The kids thought it was so important, they freaked if they dropped it.
They had these signs by each scene, describing it along the way. I missed a picture of the Roman soldiers with a horse (not sure how) and the 3 wise men. If you can believe it, the kids did not even complain about being too cold. They were very attentive.
Here is what we found when we made it into the gym after paying out taxes (kids loved that part too). Right here is where my camera battery died and I was mad! Mary sang 'Breath of Heaven' one of my all time favorite songs (on one of Amy Grant's Christmas cd's) . Shepard's sang, wise men sang, Joseph sang but where I really wanted to take a picture was of the cutest children's choir. They were all dressed in white holding candles, adorable. I kept getting teary eyed the whole time they sang. I had never heard the song they sang and couldn't tell you what it was now but, the Spirit was so strong, you could not deny it.Leaving the gym they took us into the chapel and showed a video presentation with pictures of Christ while 'I know that My Reedemer Lives' played. Not surprisingly, I cried during it. Again, the Spirit was so strong. Kathryn kept leaning her head on me, it was so sweet. My thoughts were focused on the Savior, His birth, His life, His sacrifice (the pictures helped). I am so grateful for all He has given to me and feel like I need to write it here. Tonight just put this holiday season in perspective for me. Where my focus needs to be, my priorities and my goals. They need to be centered around my Savior and my family. Two things that truly are priceless to me. I am so glad I went to this Journey to Bethlehem, even though it was so cold. (Jane, did you love ALL of it too?)
Has your stake/ward ever done anything this elaborate to celebrate Christmas? Have you been on a Journey to Bethlehem?

10 comments:
That sounds so wonderful. Thanks for reminding me about the song, Breath of Heaven. I love that song and totally forgot about it somewhere in having my two kids. (Along with a lot of other things)
Melanie,
I did love it all, too. It was good, wasn't it?
I loved the angels' song, the shepherds' song, the wisemen's song . . . Joseph's song. Yup. It was ALL good. Could you believe how quiet the program was?
The part I cried in (at least the part I didn't expect to :)was seeing the missionaries lined up in the foyer--for lots of reasons I guess, but the big one was it made me think of Abe sharing the gospel in the Philippines and how grateful I am to be a part of the gathering process.
I was especially excited because my two closet neighbors came and they really enjoyed it and gave me a big hug and thanked me for inviting them at the end. The little three year old sat mesmerized the whole time and hummed along (loudly:) Could you hear her clear over on your row?! She was the one who excitedly clapped and said, "Oh!" in the silence after Mary finished her song.) She hummed to all the verses of "I Know that My Redeemer Lives," too....and I know she's never heard of any of those songs. I thought, "Perfect. Next step (when the time is right), I'll tell your mom about Primary." :)
It was so fun to see you and Milo and the kids there. What a great family you have.
Our ward did a Jerusalem theme on year. It was pretty fun.
We have those same kits from Costco, we do them the first famiy night every December, the kids have been talking about it for days.
your evening sounds like it was a wonderful experience. our ward/neighborhood has done this but we haven't gone. i was thinking about going this year - which is planned for tomorrow night - and now after reading your post i will make sure we attend. just thinking about it chokes me up for some reason. i don't know if it's being pregnant or what but the idea of Mary riding a donkey for such a long journey has been so touching to me this year that i almost cry everytime i think of it.
your gingerbread house looks so festive and fun. you are a great mom.
Our stake has done something I think, but we have never attended. Okay your weather is FREEZING. I just don't function in the cold.
Your gingerbread houses turned out way cute. Mine never seem to look that good (maybe too many helpers)
Bummer about the camera--been there done that. I too get bugged!
I love the journey to Bethlehem idea...I got teary eyed just reading about it! What an incredible experience for your kids!! I would love that, and there is nothing more beautiful than Christmas songs!
The gingerbread house is so cute!
That activity sounds so great, I'm glad you took pictures and told us about it. A woman in our ward talked about seeing The Nativity Movie that's out right now and how moved she was by the grim reality of the Savior's birth portrayed in it. It made me want to see it. I think events like this make it more real and that that's helpful, especially early in the season.
I've never heard of a journey to Bethlehem. How neat. I love that idea.
oh wow...the ginger bread house looks soo cool. I love the bethlehem story specially when Santa takes over sometimes...i too want to see that movie jill mentioned!
oh i forgot last christmas they had a night in bethlehem...and they served the food like in olde times...everyone was dressed like in robes and they gave you a sack of gold coins when you entered, and you could use it to buy chicken, food, cheese, etc., it was quite stricking from the regular Christmas festivities...I also do love nativities....they are soooo fun! I love a tradition in mexico 'that is where i grew up..they have posadas...and it is kind of like your activity...except that is it more like a party' gathering...gosh I am geting excited for chrstimas.!!!
Post a Comment