Monday, December 11, 2006

Treat #1

Why am I starting a post at midnight?!! I'll tell you- in the dictionary if you look up night owl, you will see a picture of me! I just never get tired at a normal time, like a normal person. Instead I start projects that keep me up even later. Will I ever learn? Do you have any tricks that work for you?


I just got finished making the first batch (115, 2 cookie sheets) of these Rolo turtles. In the past I have packaged them up in a cellophane bags with ribbon and called it good. I plan on doing that this year too, just not tonight. These are so easy and are different version of what Angie made for treats. They are pretzels, Rolo candies and pecan halves. Don't scoff if you think you hate pecans, I have won over many in the pecan department! They don't taste overwhelmingly like pecans because of the pretzel. Just the right amount of chocolate, caramel, and crunch. Don't forget the sweet/salty tastes either (a great combo in my eyes). The two combined together are some of my favorites.

Here's how you make them (I know most of you aren't inept at treat making but in case some people ask). Preheat the oven to 250^ and line a cookie sheet with foil. Top each pretzel with a Rolo candy and heat in the oven for 5 minutes. Squish each candy with a pecan half and you will never know a round Rolo was underneath it. Put pan in the fridge to harden up the candy (15 minor so). Enjoy if you take on this very easy task!

So far this week I have tons of hair to do, lots of wrapping (I might wait for mom to get here), Pink Christmas to get off (I need a box!), cleaning, laundry (duh, it will never go away), some shopping, a visit with Granny, kindergarten Christmas program, and something else I cannot for the life of me remember.

I've heard this lots these past couple weeks but can you BELIEVE it that Christmas is only 2 weeks away?!! Crazy! Where are you in your shopping, no where near or nearing the end?

12 comments:

Amie said...

Your turtles are so cute. My MIL loves store bought ones, I should let the kids make her a little batch. Is it just the small size pretzel?

I am basically done shopping. About 10% on the wrapping, no Christmas card yet, no neighbor gifts, and wishing I felt a bit more panicked about how close it is getting.

Anonymous said...

I am so making those turtle things- they look so fabulous and easy.

I am done shopping, done wrapping what I have bought, neighbor gifts have been delivered, debating christmas cards, and have a few handmade things to do this next week. I can't believe it is like 2 weeks away though. I am hoping I don't run into any snags with my handmade stuff.

melanie said...

Amie, It is the little pretzels and if I were into letting my kids help, it would be very easy for them. Definitely something I need to work on. I'm just choosing not to do it this year.

Liz said...

Your turtles look yuumy! Great idea!

I am almost finished with my shopping, and just have a few packages to mail off. I've got sick kids though, so that is putting a damper on my list of things to do.

Good luck with your busy week!

Laurie said...

That is such a great treat. I've never seen that done before, and I really like it. I love all those things. YUM.

I think it's great you have so much energy at night. That is so great when you have young kids and can't get a lot done during the day. I don't have that same ability at night. I find once the kids go to bed, all the life is already zapped outta me.

I'm doing pretty o.k. with Cmas prep. Still plenty to do, but somehow I always get it done.

becca said...

I love the turtles...and easy, something I can actually do!! Thanks for the idea! I am so the opposite of you, my clock just stops at 10pm...my husband laughs because at 9:45 I am begging to watch one more show, then by 10:15 I am falling asleep on the couch!! I wish i could stay up some nights and get more done, but I turn into the wicked witch when I am tired, so I go to bed by 10:30 most every night!! (JUst think of how much less you would accomplish?! Are you tired in the day?)

jenny said...

Yummy treats. I'm stealing some from Angie since she is two houses down. By the way I was wondering if you could email me a list of your great Christmas music so I could download them from itunes or something. I am putting it in one of my envelops for avent calendar I am making. My email texbonedoc@yahoo.com

Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Yummy!!!!!!!
I am done with shopping at wrapping. I can't believe you can stay up the late. I am not a night owl.

Anonymous said...

we are two peas in a pod! i have only gotten to bed before midnight once for the last couple of weeks and that's because dave made me on saturday night. i was so glad. other than that i'm averaging between 1 and 2 a.m. my body is not liking me.

your treats look delicious! just like your white popcorn sounds...hint, hint ( :

i still have a few things to shop for, a few Christmas cards left, need to finish neighbor gifts, and my yw books. i have only wrapped one gift. and somehow i'm still not getting sleep. oh, maybe the light at the end of my tunnel is farther away than i thought! i suppose i could quite blogging until the new year, but then i would feel strangely lonely.

Jill said...

I love Rolos so those look really good to me.

I have wrapped 5 presents so far, ordered the pictures for our Christmas cards (but have no cards yet), bought the stamps for our cards, am almost finished with my Pink Christmas gift, and just sent a ton of good mail. That's something right?

Anonymous said...

tips on how to get to bed ontime? i wish! when you come across any pass them along. :) i've tried reading, watching tv, staying up, nothing seems to wear me out enough to settle my mind. but I am a morning person, so i'm up early. running helps me get through the day without dragging. i used to not be able to catch the late news. now I feel lucky to be in bed by midnight.

about my progress, friday i posted on your blog that i have done nothing. i'm being a guy this year and it's really nice. i sent out my cards today, not stressing that the picture wasn't perfect, spend the evening at target knocking out the majority of our list (wrapped under the tree, the remainder i will finish tomorrow) and have my neighbor gifts planned. now i just need that white chocolate popcorn recipe... :)

and i would also like your christmas mix, mostly i want the coldplay song. if not i can get it from crystalyn. annalisa727@gmail.com.

good luck with all your holiday projects. here's to a a stress-free 2 weeks.

everything pink! said...

we make these every year with the girls and made them for annie's baptism, they were gone in seconds