Monday, December 11, 2006

Treat #2 ( popcorn variety!)

But first, this is the exciting package I had stuffed in my mailbox this afternoon. Good Mail from Jill! What a busy girl! A cute ornament with a sweet note about blogging and her new blogging friends. It definitely made me smile. I love the kindness that is here in this blogging circle! I love feeling uplifted and renewed! Thanks Jill, it is already on my tree! You are so thoughtful and I love the example you set for me and those around you!

Here is the White Chocolate Popcorn 'recipe'. It really isn't a recipe at all, just popping and melting but, if you make it you WILL be popular where ever you take it!
Pop three batches of popcorn in your air popper. I separate it into two bowls so I can remove all the old maids. You can use plain microwave if you can find it (not sure how many bags though).
Any almond bark will do. I have tried other kinds and they all work fine. There is a little bit of taste difference so find the one you like.I melt the bark (one pkg for 3 batches of popped corn) the way it says on the back. The first time 90 seconds then 15 second intervals until all melted and smooth. Here is where you can add flavoring if you want. I have tried raspberry (my mom's favorite) and lemon. Add the flavoring to taste. I always just stick with plain because that is my favorite . Experiment! You can get it too hot and it will separate or burn so be patient and don't melt it all at once. While the bark is melting cover your table with wax paper (tape it down) for drying time.
Pour over the two bowls and mix it gently (to avoid broken popcorn) until it is all coated. Here is where it gets messy. I wanted to take a picture of my hands but didn't want it all over my camera.
Pour it all out on the wax paper in one layer and let it dry completely, about 15 minutes. Finished! See I told you it was easy and cheap!

16 comments:

everything pink! said...

that jill, isn't she great.

this recipe is also great with crushed up candy canes for Christms!!!
thanks for reminding me of how much i love this stuff

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! I feel so dumb I didn't get when you said treat #1 that you were going to post a treat #2. And you didn't lie. It looks pretty easy. Here's to gaining 5 pounds this month on your yummy treats :).

becca said...

I love it!! I love this stuff, but never had any idea how easy it was to make!! Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Those look like fun. I already decided to do Angie's pretzels and now I am going to do these also. I like that you post at midnight. (because of the time difference. It's fun to check your blog before I go to bed and see what you have written.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this does look wonderfully easy. I am trying to come up with some Christmas eve treats this year and so far yours are making the list. Love the easy ones. Have you tried coloring the almond bark? Just wondering if it takes color very well.

Jill is amazing- what more can one say?

melanie said...

Kristi- LOVE the candy cane idea. I like things plain but adding that sounds great!

Hannah, I have tried to tint the chocolate before but wasn't happy with the results. I was probably doing something wrong but have never taken the time to figure out what it is.

To make it look different I have used the very fine sprinkles of red and green. I just put them in after all the popcorn is spread out on the wax paper and mix them in with my hands.

Jill said...

That looks so good. Thanks for taking pictures of the step by step process. I think I'll give this recipe a whirl.

I'm glad you got my little Christmas gift. I loved those ornaments, and I thought the ones with the word Charity were particularly cool if you consider that Charity is The Pure Love of Christ.

jenny said...

I wish I had an air popper! Guess I could do it the old fashioned way. Your treats look yummy.

I got my ornament today too and it's hanging on my tree as well :)

Anonymous said...

How fun. "Good Mail". I hope you have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday Melanie gave me a bag of the turtle treats and they are WONDERFUL. (She also gave me one fine haircut...I wish you all had her).

I'm excited to try this Melanie and appreciated the cd yesterday, too. It's beautiful.

Maybe next time I'll have you perm and dye and highlight and cut and style my hair so that we can visit longer.

And by the way...the funniest thing Melanie kept saying yesterday to Nathan (who she'd given a duster to to keep busy while she cut my hair). "Nathan, we keep our dirt private." It made me laugh everytime. He'd dust, come show us the stuff on the rag and she'd say, "Embarrassing Nathan...we keep our dirt private."

She's a great neighbor...and friend. So glad you're blogging Melanie.

Anonymous said...

melanie, THANK YOU!!! i am doing this. so glad to know how now. i really appreciate you taking the time to post it and to show us the step-by-step photos. so helpful...i'm very visual. thanks again!

Liz said...

Fun good mail!

Love your treat ideas. I made Angie's treats yesterday, and am planning a sugar cookie or fudge day soon. Also have to make some cookies for Lindsey's class this friday, they are having a cookie exchange. Fun stuff!

Laurie said...

Oh my goodness. I have to make this. I love it. We've had it before with M&Ms mixed in. It's the best mixture of sweet and salt.

Anonymous said...

Where are you this week? I hope all is well!

Anonymous said...

I'm missing you, too, Melanie.

Kristen said...

I love the visuals! It makes it easier for me to see how it's made! Looks yummy!! I'm going to try it!