Sunday, December 31, 2006

Visit to Grandma Great

On Wed this past week we went and spent the night and next day at my Grandma's house. Basically it is a little bit of torture. She lives in a REALLY small town (as opposed to my medium small town) and it is painful to visit. I swear the only thing to do it eat or read so why not do both? She was a little offended that I called it Purgatory and Outer Darkness. Ok, so that would offend most people but seriously the time could not have gone faster. These sunset pictures are from when we were just getting there. They sky was changing so fast. I think these were taken less than 2 minutes apart. The best part of being there was getting to learn a little bit about my new camera. No easy task, it is way different from my last one. These are a few pictures I took, playing around with some of the settings. I have tons to learn.

These are not Utah mountains (I love UT mountains) but I still think they are pretty. I love Washington sunsets too. Generally I'm not awake for sunrises but I hear they are pretty too.

I did wake up to this site, out my grandma's back yard. The pink cast through the trees was so pretty and I was sad that I did not get up just 30 minutes earlier. No doubt I missed some great photos.

She has a small cherry orchard in her back yard (5 acres), I love how the trees look so barren and twisty.
This tree was next to the huge garden that my grandparents used to have in the summers. I was so sad when they got to old to have it anymore. I loved eating strawberries right out of the patch. Doesn't everybody love that?
When the sun was all the way up, everything was so bright. It was a beautiful day even though the temp never was above 35^F! I LOVE the sunshine in the winter. I'm always glad we visit but I am so glad to get home. She has little knick knacks ALL over the place and we have to be watching the kids non stop.

I am so excited to get back to the daily grind! And I can hardly believe that I am saying that. Usually I want a break from it all. But this 2 1/2 weeks is just too much of a break. My mom leaves on Tues so from there things should get back to normal (I'm praying anyway)! I have had so much to say here in blog land but have not been able to make it happen.

I can't believe it is 2007! I wanted to have this done so I could post a Happy New Year to everyone and a post about the great lesson we had today in combined RS/Priesthood. All of it is on the list for when my mom leaves on Tues. Until then... Have a wonderful New Year's Day!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photography Melanie! Really beautiful.

I'm excited for you to be able to post more freely, too, and can't wait to hear what you have to say.

everything pink! said...

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

happy 2007! your pictures are something else! wow, melanie! i think the 2nd is my favorite. did you get a camera for christmas? what is your new camera? i love to read your posts. here's to getting back into the daily grind.

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!! Those are some beautiful pictures. I hope that you are to get back to normal. I am trying too!
Have a great day,

becca said...

The pictures are gorgeous...I am imagining those same shots in the spring and i am thinking that it is probably so green and gorgeous!!

Hope you are having a great New Year's Day!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures Melanie. And that is some COLD weather. Happy 2007!

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful pictures. I have been playing around with my camera also. So fun! The fresh fruit sounds great!

Jill said...

The pictures are beautiful. The landscape looks a lot like out where my parents live in Eagle Mountain, Utah (which I also feel like is the end of the Earth). At least there's beauty involved eh?

Hooray for getting back to normal life and being able to blog freely!

Anonymous said...

Blog, blog, blog already! :)
Cool pics. My grandparents had a grape vine, cherry tree, a garden, horses, and who knows what else. The cousins used to have grape fights and my grandpa would mad. There are many a fond memory of their place, but you're right as an adult you just want civilization.
Oh, and what is it with grandmothers and knick knacks? I hate knick knacks! I was at my mom's today helping her unpack and trying to get her to throw all those little things out (and everything else she collects), to no avail of course.

michelle said...

I so love the pink light on the mountains, always my favorite time of day here. I also love the winter sunshine. I guess I'm lucky it doesn't give me headaches like it does Jill, and after living in Seattle for 7 years, I relish it every day!

Here's to getting back to our regular routines.

Laurie said...

Hooray to you getting back to normal life and being on your own again - free to blog. :-)