Saturday, January 06, 2007

About time

I have been writing this post in my head since Sunday and am finally getting to it. We had a great lesson taught from an article in The Church News titled 'About time'. I wanted to scan a copy (scanner not cooperating) of it here so I could link it because we don't have a subscription, dang it! We used to but stopped when I always kept forgetting to renew. Again, dang! Back to topic Mel.... The teacher is great, he has taught many years of seminary and he knows how to teach. I wish he did it every week, I would get so much more out of it! I digress (again). He had us break up into groups (a total seminary thing to do) of 3 so we could read and review this one page article.

Here are some quotes from the article

"The wise use of time--the wise use of choices--is a vital issue."
Vital is such a strong word. We have vital organs that keep us alive and time falls into the same category. Interesting.
"We cannot call back time that is past we cannot stop time that now is, and we cannot experience the future in our present state. Time is a gift, a treasure not to be put aside for the future but to be used wisely in the present." Thomas S. Monson

"Yet who among us can say that he has not 24 hours in each day?"
Each of us has the same chance every day to make a difference with how our time is spent. I have never looked at it this way.
"If there is one lesson to be taught by a clock or calendar, it is that time, not money, is the true currency of life."
This is one of the best ones! Time is how we get ahead, not money. So with our time, we can earn rewards from being organized and efficient. I love thinking that if I spend my 'time money' on scripture study or prayer or visiting teaching, I will be 'paid' with a stronger testimony of the word of God or better communication with the Lord or the love of serving others. So on and so on. How cool is that?
"The experiences we choose will be the occupants of this most precious, nonrenewable resource."

"How unwise we are to waste our todays when they determine our tomorrows. We should wisely live a day at a time because that is all we have." Marvin J. Ashton
This is hard to remember when we are living our todays. I have felt the effects of being wasteful of time when it has become tomorrow. I know most of us have. A life lesson that doesn't go away, don't you think?
"It isn't easy."
I loved this quote, it was all alone in a paragraph. We know this isn't easy because we have to

"With the incessant flow of time comes and inexorable flow of choices. If we are to harness time to achieve our goals, we must be as single minded as it is. Regardless of how many hard choices we have to make in order to do so."
This last statement really has stuck with me. We will make many hard choices to meet our goals. Many of them dealing with how we spent our time. Yikes!

Every group would highlight what hit them the most. I could not decide on a favorite quote, I really loved them all. Thomas Monson's quote sums it all up for me. I love the first sentence. I am not a great manager of my time to most of this hit home for me. So far I have let this be an eternally revolving goal for me because things haven't really changed. Every year I tell myself I will be different with my time. I have set goals in other areas and been successful but here, I always fall short. Do you have this problem? Do you think it is personality related or can I fully overcome it? ( I know I can, sometimes it just seems insurmountable)

I wrote this post not to condemn myself or others about the abuse of time. I mean, hello, I love to blog therefore I have wasted time in front of my computer. I have learned to balance (for the most part) time spent here and I am ok with it. I wanted some of this article here for me to look back on, to help me reach my goal this year. It is at the top of the list.

*I think one of the reasons I have this on my mind is that we start 830 church in the morning!! That's right, I said 830, don't you think it should be illegal? (Except you Jane, I bet you love it!) I am having such a hard time with it, it will be the only day of the week I have to set an alarm clock. I hate alarm clocks. I get Kat ready for school during the week at this time but not the boys and I at the same time. How on earth am I going to get all 4 of us ready while Milo is still at work? I am just short of freaking out over it. I'll let you know how it goes since we'll have the rest of the day to do who knows what. First on the list though will be a NAP!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh ya first to post here!! i enjoyed this post..i have learned a WHOLE NEW meaning to what time is..i feel like i can say there isnt enough time in my life..heheh..
i have learned that when im doing something lazy i quickly stop and think..okay what else could i do..then 10 things come up..and the laziness stops..

i have also learned that its NEVER TOO LATE TO START..anything! and dont "wait till monday" either..i start whenever im prompted too..if its "start reading your scriptures" i dont wait till monday morning..i start that day and plug it in..and before i know it..its a habit and not a challenge anymore..

well hope you enjoy sunday and what the heck?? 830am it STARTS??? thats just not right!! i'll be thinking of you as i wake up AND THEN GO BACK TO SLEEP? guess that contradicts my whole laziness speech huh!?!?!

Laurie said...

Thanks for sharing the inspiration, Melanie. The success of my goals this year is hinged a lot on mangaging my time wisely. I've been thinking a lot about this topic today.

Anonymous said...

What great quotes and thoughts from you. I also have trouble managing my time. I didn't make any New Years resolutions. But I am thinking this should really be one of them.

Amie said...

Thank you so much for this post. I love it and totally need it. I took a quote out for my lesson today. If your scanner gets up an running I would be interested to see the whole article.

I know I must waste more time than I think because I feel like everyone else gets so much more done. Since my new year begins tomorrow this was perfectly timed. I was only going to let myself look at 3 blogs before I go over my lesson again and your name jumped out at me on my sidebar - what a perfect read for a Sunday morning. (the pressure is on for the next two blogs! j/k)

Hope you have a great Sunday, good luck with 8:30 church.

michelle said...

Interesting food for thought. I too feel like my success with my goals for the new year depend in large part on good time management. Specifically, I think I need to get up earlier (sigh) and get going before my kids, which is not easy to do when they are already early risers.

I thought we had it bad with our church time! (1:30) but 8:30 is awful. Maybe you can do most of the prep on Saturday night?

Anonymous said...

Melanie,

I'm going to track down that article. It sounds wonderful. Thanks for pulling out quotes and sharing them and your ideas with us.

You're right...8:30 church makes for one looooong afternoon with little kids and an even looooonger evening. Did you know that Moses Lake nights would be so dark for so long in the winter?

I'm going to do better. (You can quote me on that :)

becca said...

What a great post! I have the Church News (I have the last 4 of them unopened in a drawer) and am going to go find that article. So perfect for me. I love the thought of "time currancy"...so true! Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

So interesting that you posted this. We are going to focus our FHE on this exact topic tomorrow. Well, the media to be exact and how we use our time. I LOVE that quote from Pres. Monson. I will have to print it and use it. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Wow a great post. I was to thinking the samething. I relly need to mangaging my time wisely. I need to always worry about he house work and need to play with my children more. They grow up so fast.

Anonymous said...

Time is one of my favorite topics. It's hard to grasp your mind around it once you start thinking about it. It's totally true that time is our currency. Especially as mothers, wifes, friends, and neighbors when we aren't full-time working moms. Time is what we have to offer and it is way more valuable than anything we could buy.
Time is one of our stewardships in life. How embarrassed will I be to stand at the judgment bar and think about all the time I wasted watching TV or any other meaningless activities? At least blogging isn't meaningless despite how much time I waste online. Sure if I'm neglecting Alexis over blogging that is wasting time, but it's valuable when managed.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. There are some wonderful quotes -- really lots to think about. This is a topic that has been on my mind lately, too.

Anonymous said...

What an inspired post. I too struggle with the wise use of time, I always have, I constantly tell myself it's just because I'm home all day with a 2 year old and a 1 year old, but I know I've always been this way.
I really enjoyed the quote by President Monson and the one that said all of us have 24 hours in the day. I make many excuses for why I got nothing done in a day. Thanks for posting about his and helping me realize that I need to set goals on this topic this year.
all I have to say about 8:30 church... yuck. I hated 9:00 church. My kids don't wake up till after 9:00 so Sundays were really hard. Now we have 11:30 church which is heaven (except for interferring with naps) I hope you figure out a schedule soon to help you on Sundays.

Anonymous said...

love your quotes. thanks for sharing. time, time, time...i always want more!