Sunday, January 21, 2007

Braids, Good Mail and a lesson


Today I taught a class about hair for a YW conference in our stake. It went really good. The 30 minutes went by way too fast, it all seemed so rushed to me. Before hand, I was worried that it would be too much time but it wasn't at all. I love the YW and I get along great with them. (I have missed them since being released even though the calling is a challenging one!) I had 36 beehives split into 3 different groups of 12! That is a lot of beehives to teach how to french braid/rope twist. Most of them were interested and wanted to learn so that was helpful. Surprisingly not very many girls know how to braid anymore. I know it isn't the everyday fashion but when girl's camp rolls around and you know how to braid, you are in high demand. Braids were not a big thing when I was in school either but I have always loved to play with hair. If anyone would let me, I was teaching myself how to braid. I was dreading it this morning but I'm glad I went, it wasn't painful at all!

Last night, Milo brought in the mail (usually my job). He casually said we didn't get anything and then produced this package (he was trying to be sneaky). I was so surprised to find this very cool mouse pad from Amy M.! I LOVE it!! I would have never thought of this great place to put a great quote. I'm not afraid to admit (well maybe a little) that I spend plenty of time here on the computer and I need great quotes like this to see everyday. Thanks Amy, you are too kind!!
Tomorrow (only 4 minutes away) I have my RS lesson to teach. I know lots of people have said this but I am so excited to teach from this manual. I love Spencer W Kimball, I remember singing about him in primary as a little kid. I feel like for the most part these lessons will be easier because he is so recent. He talks like us. Did anyone else ever feel like some of the older prophets were harder to read/teach because they talked old fashioned? I might not be making sense right now. Anyway I loved a few of the quotes (more than a few actually, read this lesson you wont be disappointed) from the lesson this week lesson #2 Tragedy or Destiny?.

"The basic gospel law is free agency and eternal development. To force us to be careful or righteous would be to nullify that fundamental law and make growth impossible." (Here he is talking about how the Lord could control our lives, save us from pain, stop accidents, drive planes to safety, feed us, save us from labor or sickness, even death. "But he will not")

"Is there no wisdom in his giving us trials that we might rise above them, responsibilities that we might achieve, work to harden our muscles, sorrows to try our souls? Are we not exposed to temptations to test our strength, sickness that we might learn patience, death that we might be immortalized and glorified?
If all the sick for whom we pray were healed, if all the righteous were protected and the wicked destroyed, the whole program of the Father would be annulled and the basic principle of the gospel, free agency (emphasis added), would be ended. No man would have to live by faith."

James E Talmage wrote: "No pang that is suffered by man or woman upon the earth will be without its compensating effect...if it be met with patience."

"We know so little. Our judgment is so limited. We judge the Lord's ways from our own narrow view"

"I am positive in my mind that the Lord has planned our destiny. Sometime we'll understand fully, and when we see back from the vantage point of the future, we shall be satisfied with many of the happenings of this life that are so difficult for us to comprehend.
We sometimes think we would like to know what lies ahead, but sober thought brings us back to accepting life a day at a time and magnifying and glorifying that day..."

When I first started this lesson I was worried, I didn't want to teach about death and tragedy (is there ever a good time to teach a death lesson?). But I learned it is so much more. I love what he said, we might think we want to know what lies ahead but reality is to live now and magnify where we are now to be stronger for tomorrow. This has been a great lesson to study. What are your thoughts on this lesson?

13 comments:

Jill said...

Randy has to teach this lesson today too, but we haven't talked about it yet. I need to read the whole thing, but all the quotes you posted are great. This topic is a tough one, especially when real tragedy happens to us personally or those close to us.

My best friend from high school called me yesterday to tell me she had a miscarriage at 11 weeks. She's not a member of the church and really struggles with things like this because she approaches them logically. Miscarriages aren't easy for any of us, but when I had mine (a year ago in October) I felt peace about it and really didn't suffer emotionally for long. I always feel like the Lord has a plan for my life and that I need to have faith that things will work out; and they always do!

michelle said...

I sure wish I could have gone to your braid class. Now that I have a little girl I am realizing how challenged I am at styling hair!

That lesson looks like a good one. I really am enjoying this manual, it's like you said, I remember him being the prophet when I was little and that wasn't THAT long ago -- he does talk like us and he is easy to relate to. Hope your lesson went well!

Anonymous said...

My friend Amy posted some quotes from this lesson on her blog, too. It seems like a great lesson. I was helping my husband with the Sunbeams today since his co-teacher was on vacation, so I missed it. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this. I need to read the whole thing.

I'm glad your YW day went well. And yea for you on the good mail! So fun.

everything pink! said...

i taught this lesson today and it was an amazing experience for me.
i look forward to how it went for you.

my big thing i learned from it was that if we overidulge our children and make them believe we give them things because we love them, then how do we expect them to understand their relationship with Heavenly Father where he may not give us everything we think we want or need, even though he loves us more than we can understand.

Anonymous said...

ive always wanted to be a RS teacher..one day (although my pat. blessing states that i am a great teacher to youth-which explains why im ALWAYS with the youth and have never had a primary or r/s calling in the 11 years ive been married! HELLO!)

our lesson was more on what we learned thru trials..like i said on my blog..i hope they dont ask me to say anything because im STILL LEARNING!!!

amy gretchen said...

Thanks for sharing all those quotes. I don't go to RS and to tell you the truth still do not have a lesson manual. I need to start reading it.

I'm glad you liked the mouse pad. It was a big thank you for the kind and generous pink Christmas gift you gave me. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Wow how fun. I would love to learn how to braid
That does look like a great lesson. I love Pres Kimball. He will always be a very special prophet to me. (He is from Arizona.) I taught in RS for about a year. I love it. I really miss being in RS. I always learned so much from all the sisters. I hope your lesson went well. I know you did wonderful job!!

Anonymous said...

It never thought about how girls don't know how to braid anymore, how sad. We used to braid each other's hair all the time for camp, water parks, you name it. Hair can be such a bonding moment.
I too missed RS today because of Dayne's homecoming, but I really enjoyed reading the lesson. Lots of food for thought. It is so sad, so victimizing, to blame God for tragedy instead of learning and growing. It's so true about the future. You want to know how life will turn out, but then you cheat yourself the experience. I just love president Kimball and remember when he was the prophet. I am excited about the lessons this year too.

Anonymous said...

I love braiding hair and like you am surprised that not a lot of people know how. I was the "hair" person in our family growing up. For pictures, school, etc. I should have gone to beauty school I guess. I taught a lesson on hair for our stake a few years back. It was so much fun.

Hope your lesson went well. We had this lesson today and it was AWESOME. We also had a couple give a talk on it and they talked about the death of their daughter. She was still born. So sad. It really gives you a great perspective on life. I loved all the quotes and actually am going to read it tonight before bed. Since I was a slacker and didn't read it ahead of time.

Anonymous said...

Melanie I totally understand what you mean when you were talking about President Kimball. I think it is because I remember him being a prophet. I remember hearing some of his teachings. As a little girl, I remember gaining a testimony about having a true prophet alive today. I especially remember the day that he died. I was standing at the corner waiting for the school bus. One of our friends, Rachel Pratt, came up and asked if we had heard about President Kimball. She gave us the bad news. I was so sad...I cried the whole way to school. I, like every one else blogging, am so excited to read his teachings this year. Thank you for the quotes, I can't wait to start studying!

Amie said...

I am really excited about this manual too. Thanks for posting quotes, the one about us judging the Lord from our narrow perspective really makes me think and realize this transfers over into pretty much judging anyone. Our view is so limited and yet we want to have all the answers.

Anonymous said...

I love your thought on the lesson. I read the biography of Camilla Kimball. It was really good. It is neat to know her perspective of the stories Pres Kimball is sharing.

Laurie said...

Thanks for teaching me much more about the lesson than I learned in class yesterday. I don't have my manual yet, so it was good to read this.

I hope you are having a great day.