Monday, January 22, 2007

Randoms again

Today has been busy but uneventful. I don't want to get out of the habit of posting, even when nothing overly exciting is going on. Some of the latest randoms in my life, the funniest one first.

Saturday night Nathan fought and fought to go to bed. He started saying his ears hurt but he had no fever or other symptoms so I thought he was just milking it. He would not give in. It was a night I felt I needed Supernanny's help! I was at my wits end and finally after being in bed over 3 hours he fell asleep at 10:45pm (he did not have a nap so he SHOULD have been very tired). It was quiet bliss. The next morning we were rushing around the house getting ready for our dreadfully early church, 8:30! I was only semi prepared this week and it was not a good thing. Nathan came up to me and said the funniest thing. He had this look of bewilderment on his face and the conversation went like this...

Nate: 'Mom, I even don't know how it happened but I'm deaf, I can't hear anything at all.'
Me (trying not to laugh): 'Bud, I don't think you are deaf. I think maybe your ears are plugged, it makes you sound funny.'
Nate: 'How do I fix being deaf?'
Me (now I'm laughing out loud): 'It will go away, you just have to wait.'

Fast forward to bed last night...
Me: 'Nate are you still deaf or are your ears working again?'
Nate: 'I don't think I'm deaf anymore. I can hear you talk but I still can't hear anything I'm saying. Maybe they'll work in the morning.'

I know most of this doesn't sound as funny if you can't hear his funny voice. It was so funny and he was so serious when he was saying it. I've been laughing about it all day. I love funny kidisms!

Another funny by Nate. On Friday night when I was putting them to bed I was singing a good night song. It is our nightly routine and with him we can't stray very far from the outline. After I finished singing a lovely version of Rock a Bye Baby he asked me 'When are you going to be a singer?' I said 'I can't be a singer, I'm a mommy.' (cause I'm no good, that's the real reason.) He said (very seriously) 'But you are SO (he emphasized this) good.' I just love how little boys think their mamas are SO good at most things. I was smiling the rest of the night and it wasn't because of my singing skills!

Yesterday at church I was called to the funniest calling I've ever had. I technically shouldn't be saying anything (SHHH, don't tell!) but it isn't earth shattering and we have stake conference this next week and I have to get it off my chest. They asked me to be the ward librarian! I had to restrain myself from laughing right in his face. I even asked him 'Seriously?' Have you ever known a 31 yr old ward librarian? I have only known strict, scary old ladies (no offense) that watch over the contents of the library with great zeal. I can't believe I'm the best for the job. Not that I can't do it ok, it will just be REALLY hard to get there early every week (by 8:15) with all 3 kids by myself. Enough of my sad song, really I'm going to give it my best and work at it. Do you think the Lord is trying to get me to be a morning person? I might have this calling forever if He is.

Speaking of stake conference, Henry B Eyring is going to be here. Right here in out little town that has nothing more than Wal-mart to shop at. It has been quite the talk since the 'word' has been spreading (like I said, not much else goes on). In the last year and a half I have really grown to love the adult meeting on Sat night. I get so much out of it sitting there without the kids. I'm sure that is part of the reason we have it. Our stake does a dinner before to get more people to attend. Guess what, it works. Isn't that sad that if we get to eat we will be more likely to go? They go low key with the dinner- soups and bread. I have to make soup. If you have a favorite that goes in a crock pot well, pass it on!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melanie,

I love your posts. That's a funny one about Nate being deaf and him telling you what a good singer you are. I have NO doubt you're a singer, but it was funny how they followed each other in the post.

I can't believe you're a librarian either. Oh my goodness. Does that mean you're through with the Activities Committee?

Yup, I'm on the soup brigade, too. I haven't decided either. I'll check your comments section faithfully :)

Ok...gotta get my lesson, just had to sneak a peek this morning before I began.

Anonymous said...

Ward librarian, I world love that calling. But I am a very old 36 year old women heeheehee. But it thinks that world be an n easy calling, no stress!!!!!! That is a funning stories about t your son and his ear. He sounds at lot like my 5 year old son.

Anonymous said...

That is pretty funny about his ears. I too enjoy kid funnisms.

I wouldn't put it past our ward to put a young person in charge of the ward library because we have some pretty slim pickins' But maybe they wanted a young cute face to be greeting everyone as they checked out t.v.'s, books, etc. :)

As far as soups go. You have to check my friend Angie's blog or maybe ask her. She has a GREAT tortilla soup so easy, so yummy and it all dumps into the crockpot!

Anonymous said...

am i deaf- i love that!!

we've had young ward librarians before..its fun to go in there and "chit chat"! haha

for the soup..taco soup is the easiest! open up a bunch of cans of different beans, add a packet of taco seasoning and a packet of ranch seasoning, ground beef if you want (i never do)and can of petite diced tomatoes, corn, olives..whatever you want- SO FAB!

Jill said...

I'm glad Nate's ears are better, that's kind of frightening if he caught that deafness that's going around. (Ha)

I haven't known any really young ward librarians, but I'm sure it will be a fun calling. Maybe they need young women who can multi-task really well. We seem to have old, slow moving couples for librarians and it's all I can do not to run behind the counter to go get things myself!

Elder Eyring spoke at our Stake Conference last Spring and was amazing! I couldn't write fast enough to keep up with him, but loved everything he had to say. I hope you'll take notes so you can share them with us. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

What an adorable picture of your son and what a great story. SO fun.

Librarian? Someone gave up the library so you could be in there? Don't we have permanent fixtures in every building? Well, that could be a nice relaxing calling to have for a while. And at least it could be pleasant to go to your library now!

I'm so excited for Elder Eyring to come! He is one of my favorites! See you there!

Laurie said...

Man, my comment didn't show up. I think you will make an awesome librarian. Nothing better than having someone smart running the copy machine well! The librarian helps me every week, and keeps all the classes running, makes a lot of things possible. It'll be a great way to visit with tons of people in the ward!

Anonymous said...

The deaf comment is so great. I love it when they are so serious and you have to try to stifle a laugh. Mya thinks her dad is the best singer and if he home when I get her to bed, she tells me not to sing and to go get dad. Nice huh?

Anonymous said...

I love the deaf comment. I am glad that he is ok though! Congrats on your new calling - I think being the ward librarian would be fun. We have only had rather young librarians in our past wards - perhaps it is a new trend? :-)

amy gretchen said...

I would love to come to your stake conference. I love Elder Eyring. His talks are also inspiration and apply to my life in so many ways. Look forward to the notes.

Your son is adorable. I love kidisms too.

Anonymous said...

Loved the deaf ears story!

Ward librarian, I'm with you, the ones we've had have always been scary and mean and old. Maybe you can break the mold?

I'll have to check my soups and get back to you, I've got a great one, but it goes best with tortilla chips and sour cream and cheese. Don't know if that is too many things to bring along.

jenn said...

I love funny kiddisms too- I wish they translated better!

I am SO jealous that Henry B. Eyring is coming to your stake conference- I LOVE, LOVE him! You'll have to blog all about it!!

8:15, three kids, no help- I hope you learn your lesson fast ;)

michelle said...

I would love to give up my cub scouts calling to be the ward librarian! Of course, I would be loathe to get my kids ready and be there at 8:15 -- yikes.

Totally jealous about Elder Eyring coming for your stake conference, I love him!

Sure glad that Nate isn't deaf anymore! I would have wondered about an ear infection, but that's because we get a lot of those around here...

Anonymous said...

I got a good giggle out of your kid funnies. I'm glad his ears are fine -- and that he could hear your reply!

Our ward seems to have quite the variety of ages in the ward library. It's quite a powerful calling -- you can hold copies hostage for people who are rude. :) I hope you have fun with it!

Wow, Elder Eyring! That will be a treat!

Anonymous said...

You should try out for American Idol and tell Simon your son thinks you are so good. :)
In my current ward (well that has been split 3 times since I've been here) our librarians have all been young.

Kristen said...

Love kid funnisms!! They just say the funniest things.
My kids always want everything at the grocery store and I always say, "no you can't have that..it's not on sale". I never pay full price for anything. Well, one time I let them buy something that "wasn't on sale" and Ethan's reply was, "Did the workers say we could buy that...it wasn't for sale".
So funny!
Oh that would kill me to have to be at church by 8:15...

Anonymous said...

Wow having to get to church early with three kids. That's a little insane. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

your nate is hilarious! i can totally hear that conversation! and what a sweetie about your singing. your own kids can make you smile like no one else can.

i love elder eyring. he is so soft spoken and so deep. how lucky to hear him in person.

i totally know what you mean about the sat. night meeting. dave and i went last time though and i was so glad we did...it was so uplifting and we talked about it for such a long time.

good luck with the soup. i haven't really done soups in my crock pot or i would for sure pass something along. if you want to do something over your stove let me know, i have a couple of good ones. good luck!

Anonymous said...

So exciting - Elder Eyring!

Lovely recounting of your Nate's little thoughts, especially endearing to hear him voice his love for YOUR voice. So sweet!

Oh, I would love to be ward librarian. Seriously. I am 32, do you think I am old enough? I am anxious to hear how you like it.

Anonymous said...

Hello. I can totally hear Nathan saying that. Your kids are the funniest kids I know. Gotta love them. I'm very glad that the deafness didn't strike him for too long.