Friday, January 26, 2007

The Rundown

How in the world did it get to be Thursday already (it's now Friday, no wonder my week goes fast. I don't get to bed early enough)? I have felt so busy these past couple days. Here is a rundown from the last 3 day-

-went to the dentist
-attended a kick boxing class 3 times
-8 haircuts and a highlight
-ate dinner Wed night at the in law's
-learned about my new calling and got a tour of the library (that was some serious fun, let me tell you)
-decided on a soup for Sat (see recipe below)
-kindergarten, preschool, clogging (all today, whew)
-went to Walmart and surprisingly it was EMPTY at 7 pm. It was bliss.
-sent Good Mail to my mom
-fielded many phone calls (mostly for appointments)
-watched American Idol (both nights) and Grey's Anatomy
-cleaned a bathroom, picked up at least a few hundred toys (or felt like it anyway) and cleaned the kitchen too many times to count.
-oh so much more but I have been trying to finish this post since at least 2 this afternoon. (It is now 12 am!)

Here is the soup I decided on for Sat night. I don't usually like white cream sauces on pasta. I know most people do but I am a marinara girl all the way. But with that being said, I loved this soup! Probably because it has the taste of Alfredo but isn't really thick like the sauce. I never claimed for this to be low fat either. Maybe I'll sit at a table with different soup.

Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Soup

1/4 c Minced yellow or White Onion
1/2 TBSP Minced Garlic
3/4 c Butter
3/4 c Flour
4 c Chicken Broth
1 Quart Half & Half
1 1/2 c Parmesan Cheese, Shredded
2c Water
1 Bunch Broccoli (tops only, cut into bite size pieces)
4c cooked Chicken, bite size pieces
1 1/2 tsp White Pepper
1 1/2 tsp Salt
dash Nutmeg

2c Bow Tie Pasta, cooked according to package instructions.

Medium heat, in heavy pan saute onion and garlic in butter for 3 minutes. Add flour to butter/onion mix and cook until blond in color (5-7 min). Add chicken broth and half &half and cook until thickened. Add parmesan cheese and cook until cheese is melted. DO NOT BOIL. In a separate pan add broccoli and water and simmer just until boiling, NOT SOFT. DO NOT DRAIN. Combine these two pan of ingredients and add pasta. Sprinkle with more parmesan cheese.


In other news, there is no school tomorrow. Records keeping day or some such nonsense! I am all for teachers having a break, really I am. I was raised by one for crying out loud so I know how HARD they work. Is anyone else annoyed that there are all these 'new' ways for them to have a break? Early release, Records keeping day, early release, Learning Improvement Day, early release, did I say early release?!!! This is my first year of having a child in 'real' school but seriously are all school districts like this now? I'll stop now, it is pointless. And I really mean it when I say this has nothing to do with me not wanting her home. I don't mind having her here, it means a lazy morning and who doesn't love that. What bugs me is that I feel like they miss out on really getting finished with their lessons AND we don't get out of school until June 13th (possibly later if more snow days). Really now, I'm off my soap box, I promise.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!! What a busy 3 days.
Tell me about it. The whole month of January, my children only had one full week of school!!!!!!!
I don’t remember all those day off of school when I was growing up.
Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Soup, looks yummy. I will be making that.
Did you every live or live close to Othello Washington?

Anonymous said...

First of all, I want to say that it's nice to meet a sister in the marinara/alfredo debate. I never eat alfredo, only marinara. In fact if a pasta dish doesn't have marinara, I don't want it.

Second, you've had a busy week! That's one way to make it go by fast. I hope you have a fun weekend ahead of you so that Friday's coming so quickly is a good thing, not a "Where did my week go?" kind of thing.

Anonymous said...

You did sound WAY busy, but accomplished a lot too. I watched two days of AI and Grey's too. Enjoyed both :)

I haven't heard of that soup before but I would love to try it. I am always up for making/trying new soups. Unfortunately no one else in my family really likes it.

As far as school goes--I HEAR ya. I just looked at the calendar and my kids have half day next Friday. It's ground hog day! I don't ever remember having these many days off or half days for that matter growing up. I do remember early release every Wednesday, but it was only 30 minutes early. Okay now I'll get off my soapbox.

Amie said...

Isn't it nice to write out everything we do - I think we do much more that we think even when it feels like a lazy day.

I am a marinara girl too. My husband like white sauce so I will do both just so I can have pasta. That soup looks fabulous - I am nervous to add up the points on that though! Good plan to take it somewhere so you only get a serving.

Anonymous said...

im confused by all the "holidays" everyone's kids are having?? when did you guys start school?

we started the day after labor day so sept 3rd or somewhere near there, and then they have one week for thanksgiving, 2 weeks for xmas, one day in january, one week in feb for presidents days and one week in april for spring break..thats about it!
i think we get out 3rd week of june?

Anonymous said...

We have the school day off today, as well. Hmmm...

I think it will be oh-so-interesting to read a weekly recap - like the one you posted - in, say, 10 years, then 20 years. Such a precise snapshot of THIS time, which will be no other.

Anonymous said...

The soup sounds dangerous maybe you should sit at another table :). I only like marinara sauce too. Unfortunately, my husband can't have tomatoes, so when we make pizza or pasta we use alfredo sauce for his portion. I can't even stand the smell of the brand he likes.
As far as teachers go, are you sure the teachers aren't working? The learning improvement day sounds like they are taking continuing ed at a district-wide seminar. Records keeping day sounds like they are putting grades together for end of quarter. The kids get the last day of the quarter off, but my husband is at school turning in grades.
I had early out in elementary on Wednesdays, but I also remember a lot more vacation than kids get now. Summer and winter break (in Peru). I wish the schools were like that here.

becca said...

That soup sound so yummy! Thanks for the recipe! You are a busy lady that is for sure! I took kickboxing up in Provo YEARS ago and I LOVED it, how fun for you
!!

Anonymous said...

I get the same feeling when I look at our school calendar and we don't have one full week of school! Ugh! It drives me a little crazy! Just wait until you get to the high school with the four period day, and the teachers still get one whole period off for planning. I was also raised by a teacher, and teaching is harder now, but still. How many days off do we need in a three week period? Yikes.

I think I'll throw caution to the wind and sit at the table with your soup! It sounds positively yummy!

michelle said...

My kids are off today too. It's a good thing, really, since they have missed a whole week of school already due to sickness, so this is just one more day that doesn't count as an absence! They do get a lot of random days off, but I think it's good for them, it breaks up the monotony.

It looks like you've had a pretty busy week to me! I accomplished a whole lot less than that.

amy gretchen said...

What a busy week. Sounds sort of like mine. It feels good to get so much done, doesn't it?

Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to try it. I'm always looking for something warm to make on these cold days, plus I love alfredo sauce.

Anonymous said...

I don't know why but every Wednesday early afternoon I go through a panic forgetting that it is early release day and I wake up the little guy and rush out the door to pick my daughter up from school. It just doesn't fit in the schedule that's floating around in my head somewhere.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe - sounds delicious! You've had quite a busy week. No wonder you are staying up too late. That's a lot to fit in.

We just found out this week my kids will be in school until June 22 because of snow days -- ugh! I'm hoping for no more snow or they'll be having the 4th of July at school.

Laurie said...

I love kickboxing and have been doing it to DVD at home. THat's what I'm supposed to be doing right now! You've inspired me to get off my rear and start moving! Hope you're having a great day.

Anonymous said...

Your a busy woman!
I am so excited to try out your soup recipe, I have already passed it on to my Mom and sisters, hope you don't mind?!?
My kids don't seem to get too many days off? No half days or anything.. weird?
Kick boxing is great fun, and such a good work out.

Melinda said...

I am a white sauce girl all the way so I am excited to try your soup!

You have been soo busy. I don't think life will slow down any time soon. Soo sad.

I am with you all the way on the days off. It is crazy sometimes. We have a couple of days off each month!

Anonymous said...

OHHHHH...thank you Melanie. I can't wait to cook this at home. I'm going to search you out tonight :)

I love your blog.

Jill said...

I feel the same way about all the days off from school. I know the teachers are busy and overwhelmed but it seems like it's one day a week that they don't have school. Crazy. Of course, whenever I'm in the classroom helping I think "How does she do all of this?"

You've had a crazy week, but you sound good!

Anonymous said...

I don't really care for pasta dishes but when I do eat them it has to be marinara. Alfredo sauce is just too heavy and rich for my tastes.

I'm a little envious of your kickboxing classes. I love kickboxing, unfortunately you have to reserve your spot in the class they have at my gym and I never think about doing it. Oh well :(

Anonymous said...

Three kickboxing classes? You rock! Thank you for the recipe. I have to admit...I am a creamy sauce girl all the way. I am so excited to try it.

I see what you are saying about the school days. I think it just messes up the routine that you are used to.

Good luck in the library. :)