
This is the time I was able to wind myself down and go to bed last night. I am my worst enemy when it comes to getting enough sleep and it drives me crazy! I have had an issue with insomnia since high school and 14 yrs later is still going strong. I have read so much about how sleep helps our mood, depression, health and weight loss. I spent and 1 1/2 hrs at the gym only to undo all of it because I don't give my body enough time to 'work' on what I did. So frustrating. I have thought about going to the doctor for it but usually talk myself out of it. I have used ambien a little bit in the past but question if I want to take it forever. I'm guessing I'm not going to out grow it? What helps you relax and get to sleep if you have insomnia (it wont be all I did below, I know that is NOT the secret to unwinding!).
We went out to dinner with some family last night but the real kicker is we drove almost 2 hrs to the restaurant. I know it sounds crazy but is was nice to visit in the car and not have kids being wild in the back. Oh yeah the food is so good too! When we got home (10:30) I realized I had done NOTHING for the shower I am having today. So after Milo left for work (11 pm)I wrapped the present, let myself get sidetracked and blog (not very hard to do), read Melinda's email about the candy bar game (thank you , thank you!), make little game cards, started the brownies at 1:15 am, got in bed and read (of course) and finally hit the sack at 2:35 am! I wasn't brave enough to take a picture of myself like Jill, it would have been rather scary! I'm crossing my fingers I'm not a zombie today. Do you have an exciting Sat planned?
12 comments:
Insomnia is one problem I'm so glad I don't have. I fall asleep too easily sometimes. The only thing is when I have to wake up in the night, I have a hard time going back to sleep. I usually just lie there willing sleep to come. I feel better when I get up and do something like read blogs or a book.
What time do you have to get up? Are you a zombie? Maybe you could take a sleep aid 2-3 times a week and know that you will at least get some good sleep. Marc sometimes takes Tylenol PM and that helps his insomniac tendencies. or maybe take a nice bath before bed to wind down?
I'm with Michelle in that I have NO problem going to sleep. My husband on the other hand, has insomnia for a couple of weeks out of every month. He has been able to do a couple of things to help combat it, such as getting a CPAP machine to help with his sleep apnea, but I don't know if that would help you! Good luck with your shower today. I know you will make it great.
As for me, I get to go grocery shopping. Bummer.
I sometime have Insomnia. I had it off and on for my whole life. I find out if I read that helps me get sleepy. I also don’t sleep-in. If I get up early, and then I can go to sleep fast at night. What restaurant did you go to????
Melanie, I'm so sorry to hear you struggle with this on a daily basis. It's got to be a big pain to wake up so tired.
I like Michelle's suggestions. My only suggestion - Have you tried reading the BOM? I don't endorse reading it only when you can't get anything out of it, but when I read it late at night (since it causes you to really think), it has a sleepy effect on me (terrible, but true).
I'm sorry you have problems sleeping. Seriously that's the worst because then you are dragging hard the next day. I have this at least once a week.
Have you thought about sleeping pills? I know there are some out there that aren't addictive.
My advice take a nap today if you can.
oh man insomnia? def not my problem here- i have the opposite!! i'd try taking a bath and reading??i dont know???
i know that if i blog or do emails BEFORE i try to go to bed..my mind is WIRED!
good luck on the shower!
I have fibromyalgia and one of the things that is so hard for me, which puts me in a tail spin is my sleep. it has been a horrible problem for me for years. when i don't sleep then my body is really sick and then i spend weeks in bed, IE: this past september.
anyway my advice, if you are asking is to do some research and see a doctor about it and excercise for me is a lifesaver because it gets me more tired. i always think at the end of the day what have i done to get tired.
no plans for today and it was so nice. we have all been sick around here so if felt good to do nothing but walk to the lake.
Guess I don't have too many fun things planned. I am sitting at the computer. Ha! Despite not being able to sleep, you sure did manage to get a heck of a lot done. Sorry to hear about your insomina. Like Michelle I have never suffered from it, but have had many friends that do. Except I did have a few times when pregnant. I hope you get some much needed sleep tonight!
I don't have insomnia, but sometimes if I stay up past the point of being tired, then I will get a second wind. Usually I don't stay up that late, but last night I did and finally went to bed at 1:45. My husband sometimes has trouble with restless legs, and he will get up and watch ESPN, which I have found puts me to sleep quite quickly - I don't know if it helps him sleep or just entertains him until his legs feel better. I'm sorry this is an all the time problem for you. It must be frustrating knowing the morning is coming no matter what.
I hope your shower went well today, and maybe you got a good nap!
Insomnia is something of a double-edged sword isn't it? It's so enticing to stay up late blogging (hello I posted at 1:45am last night), working on projects, reading, watching tv or doing basically anything else because everyone else is asleep! I usually have to force myself to go to bed around 11:00 otherwise I get my 2nd wind and stay up until 3:00am (like I did last night).
I hope your shower went well!
I can't imagine getting so little sleep. I would be a nightmare to live with!! You poor thing, I hope you feel okay today and that you are able to sleep tonight!
I hope the shower was fun!!
i have struggled with this off and on since high school. it's awful. it seems to have gotten a little better for me in the last few years. i find that when i am stressed that is when it comes back with a vengeance. i don't think it would hurt to talk to a doctor about it because it really can affect all the things you were talking about. and then it just becomes a vicious cycle. my doc prescribed the ambien which actually helped tremendously because it helped me get on a sleep cycle and then i didn't really need it. so i only ended up using it at half a dose if i had been up for more than 3 nights or something like that. also, i've found that keeping a notebook by my bed helps a lot because when i can turn my mind off i will get up and make lists. sometimes that helps. also, exercising (especially lifting weights for some reason) helps me a lot because it helps tucker me out and sleep a little more soundly. it's so frustrating though! i hope it gets better for you.
Post a Comment