Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Good Mail and other ramblings

Yesterday was spent playing catch up. Catch up on laundry, dishes, the works actually. I don't mind Mondays but I don't like to start them like that! Thankfully Milo helped out a lot and we have made it through most of the housework. If only it would stay that way longer than it does!

I made my mom a set of these magnets with the grandkids on them for Valentine's Day. I started them last week but had a hard time finishing them (a bad habit). I remembered if I wanted them to get to her by Wed that they had to be mailed Mon. They don't take long at all, I just let myself get so sidetracked. I did finish them in time and got them in the mail. I even braved the post office with all three kids by myself to get it done. Something I only do when I'm desperate. They were horrible by the way but at least it got done. I made 2 of my niece Kate because they are flying down tomorrow to spend some time with my mom (SO jealous of that by the way) and I thought my sister in law would like one. Kate looks grumpy in that picture but she is such a little doll face.

Yesterday I went to the mailbox and stopped but it was empty. I thought that was weird, we usually have something in our box. Oh well, no big deal. Milo came home from class and was hiding my Good Mail again, with a huge smile on his face! He thinks he is so sneaky! He got the mail on his way to class and didn't bring me the mail until after he was home from class. I guess he hides Good Mail because he secretly wants some. Well I'll let him hold onto mine from the mailbox to the house. Maybe that will be long enough for him.

Hannah sent me this fabulous bookmark. I LOVE it! This is a favorite scripture of mine. I never ever have a bookmark, I am always using a receipt or scrap paper. She is expecting her second baby and took the time to make these darling bookmarks. I am never that motivated with only 9 weeks left! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I need to be reminded of all this says!


Annalisa sent this delicious bag of all different kinds of kisses and this great little book. They were all so good, I did share a few but will admit to being stingy. The book she sent is so cute. It is a little book full of great quotes. Thanks for this, I love it. Alexis (her daughter) wrote on the package and that was just as cute. Her sweet little name with many x's and i's. So darling! Here are a couple of my favorite quotes so far...

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
-Japanese proverb

Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be.
-Grandma Moses

I'm a slow walker, but I never walk back.
-Abraham Lincoln

We are going to forgo Valentine's tomorrow and go out of town sans kids on Sat. I'm excited! We are going to go to the temple and probably shop a little. Getting out of town with Milo alone is pretty rare. And fun I might add. Usually we have to drag the kids with us and by the end of it, there are some major meltdowns. I'll have to start my list of all the things I can't get here in town and try to get it all done. I'm looking forward to it. Are you going out on a school night or are you opting to make it a date night at home?

*I just have to clarify (so I don't look totally odd), I don't drink pickle juice all the time. Only every once in a while and usually in the summer (no idea why then). I am so glad Carlo commented that she likes it too (she even has a favorite brand!). I was beginning to feel a little silly and a little crazy for admitting it. Thanks Carlo, I'm ok with it now!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Melanie! I love the magnets that you made for your mom and Jill's and Michelle's bookclub. They are so cute. Where do you find the magnets that size? Let me guess, not in our town?

By the way, remember the bag-of-rocks-with-the-kind-things-written-on-them? The $tore has lots of rocks.

So glad you and Milo get to go out of town for a day and to the temple. Sounds like a lot of fun. Calvin and I celebrated last weekend with dinner and a movie.

everything pink! said...

Happy Valentines Day!!

becca said...

Those magnets are so cute! I need to make some of those....my girls would love to see their faces on a magnet!

So fun that you get to get out this weekend with just the hubby! I love that! We are just staying home tonight, not only would it be harder to find a sitter, but the restaraunts are all so crowded! We figure we will get really cook take out and just watch a movie on the couch (I love nights like that!)

Have a great Valentine's Day!

Crystalyn said...

Happy Valentine's Day Melanie!

i love your magnets and would love to know how you make them. they are so cute. what a great idea for grandparents.

happy good mail!

amy gretchen said...

I love the magnets. Such a great idea for a grandparent.

I think it's smart to do Valentine's celebration on Saturday...how fun to get a weekend out of it. I almost wish I would have gone out last night because tonight is going to be crazy.

Liz said...

Thos magnets are darling!! Love the bookmark too!

Happy Valentine's Day!!

Donna said...

Way cute magnets!
I hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day!!!

Price Cream Parlor said...

Happy Valentines Day! So fun that you are able to get away! That will be great! Cute magnets! Always a great gift!

jenny said...

My husband gets a little giddy over mail too (he would never admit to it though shhh!).

I love that Grandma Moses quote. And your magnets--what a great idea and gift. I maybe doing that one for Easter or something.

Have a great getaway!!

Allison said...

Those magnets are so cute, and a wonderful gift to give grandparents.

Have a great weekend alone with Milo, and Happy Valentines Day.

Elizabeth said...

We are staying in and having dinner with the kids. I am excited for you that you get to get away with Milo. Have fun!!

Kristen said...

That's so funny about the pickle juice.
Score on the good mail, that's cute of your husband to save it and give it to you later.
Nice that you had a productive day (yesterday, new day-hehe)
Happy Valentines Day!
oh ya, loved the picture magnets! Are they difficult to make?

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day! Sounds like you have a great plan for the weekend - enjoy your time ALONE!

Kelly said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Melanie! Your magnets are adorable, and such a fun grandparent idea! My mother-in-law's birthday is coming up and I never know what to do about that. So, thanks for the fun idea!

annalisa said...

I love the magnets too. Just this week I was wondering where you get the stones (?) to make those. You'll have to share.
I'm glad you got your Valentine package in time. I saw that book and it just screamed Melanie to me. I hope you have a fantastic Valentine weekend with Milo. I think a trip to the temple is the best date for the holiday.

Christina said...

i love that he "hides" the mail..how funny!

pickle juice- ya still crazy girl!

oh so fun to get out of town this weekend sans kids! who doesnt love that once in a while- and NO we never go out on vday- too crowded!

Angie said...

Lovin' the magnets!! I'll be making those soon for the grandparents.

Happy Valentine's Day!

carlo said...

How lucky to have a big kids weekend (that is what we call them!) -- have a great time!

I LOVE the magnets and really want to find out where to the clear "stone?" You have such great ideas!

About the pickle juice-- cracking me up! I was thrilled to see another pickle juice drinker. I Love it! Now I am not talking about pouring an entire glass of it (are you?) but I do enjoy drinking a few sips when the pickles are gone! :)

Laralee Anderson said...

What great ideas for Valentine's Day. I hope you and Milo have a great time, sounds like you really deserve it.

I love the gift for your mom. You will have to tell me how you made them.

Pickle juice. That is unusual. :) My mom used to dip my fingertips in pickle juice so I wouldn't bite my nails.

michelle said...

Love the magnets! How great that you guys get to go out of town alone -- rare indeed, and so wonderful. We had date night in. It's hard to get a babysitter on Valentine's Day and it's so crowded when you go out.

So cute that Milo hides the mail. Marc is totally jealous of good mail, too, so I've determined to send some to his office!

How have I missed so many posts??

Jill said...

Those magnets are a genius idea! Good thinking. You're on a roll with creativity aren't you?

It cracks me up that Milo hides your good mail. I'm not sure how I would feel about that, because I love to see the stuffed mailbox myself.

How wonderful that you're going away for the weekend! I hope it's great.