Thursday, February 15, 2007

A mother's intuition & more Good Mail!!

Yesterday morning was a little crazy. I had planned on making heart pancakes along with a few thousand other people but we woke up late, dang it! I went in to wake up Kathryn and when I went into her room I knew something was different. Not sure how I knew, I just did. I'm sure you have felt that tuition before. Anyway, I thought maybe she had wet her bed but I didn't want to make a big deal out of it. I told her to go in and eat breakfast and when she was out of the room I checked her bed. Nothing, no accident so I dropped it. But I had that moment a mother has when she knows something is wrong. I had bought the kids chocolate milk (it's a treat for them because I never buy it) and made oatmeal with red sprinkles. They thought it was pretty high class and I didn't inform them otherwise.

{the lovely pile that was hidden under her bed!}

After breakfast I started to comb Kathryn's hair and that's when I knew I was right to feel that something was wrong. She was missing some hair right in front. I asked her (still calm at this point) if she cut her hair and all she can do is nod. I ask her to get it for me (not knowing the full damage yet) and she pulls out this wad of hair from underneath her bed. She had CUT her hair to the SCALP in the front, right behind her bangs. Seriously, do 6 yr olds do this? We've been down this road when she was 4 so I thought we were totally over it. I was annoyed (and regrettably yelled at her) but what do you do? Luckily I will be able to hide it but she will have to wear a small pony tail right in front for I don't know, the next year!

Today we were rushing out of the house for preschool and I put my arm out in front of the kids to stop them from running over my Good Mail. I got the sweetest package from Jenn today. I love it, thank you! I wanted to eat the rice krispie treats on the way to preschool with the kids in the back but I wanted to take a picture too. For me that is serious, I love rice krispies! I did share the second one though, don't think I'm a total pig! I love this letter! It seriously makes me happy just to look at it. I'm not afraid to admit I've walked by the fridge just to look at it. I officially have the whole house jealous of my Good Mail treats. Today the kids were even eying my package. I also got the darling Valentine card Amy M made (my picture is way blurry!). So sweet! Thanks Amy! You are so creative!

As for the magnets, I found them at Target. The tag just said vase filler and they are much larger than most of the clear stones you fill vases with. I wasn't looking for them, I just stumbled on them in the home section, near the vases (duh). This bag was full clear to the top and it was only $2.99! Now that is a serious amount of magnets, at a great price!! This is how I made them, maybe others have a better way but this is what I did. I used glue stick on the picture I was using (printed on regular paper) and stuck it to the marble. Then I mod podged the back to seal it on. Then all I did was use Diamond Glaze glue for the magnet. Really easy and super fast. My mom loved them (she didn't get them until today so another lesson was learned about procrastinating!)

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your kids are lucky you do hair- I would have no clue what to do or what I will do when Mya lops off a big chunk.

jenny said...

Bummer about the hair, and like Hannah said at least maybe you can some what fudge it? I may be doing your magnet idea....thanks for the tip!

Kelly said...

My neighborhood recently went through a rash of little girls cutting each others hair. Grrr!

Man, a few months ago I paid a fortune for magnets that look just like yours, do I feel dumb!

Price Cream Parlor said...

Seriously, I can totally relate! Although my little guy is three, he has done this twice in the last few months! I am sorry to hear that - seeing that pile of hair was painful! When I was 6 I decided that my best friend needed bangs - Not good!
Happy Day for the GOOD MAIL!

Amie said...

Great mail from Jenn. I was a happy recipient too! The magnets you have been making are so cute. I have Jenn's right here next to me on my filing cabinet (my fridge doesn't stick).

Oatmeal with sprinkles? Hmmmm.

Amy said...

Jenn is so stinkin' talented and thoughtful, isn't she? You always know that a package from her is going to be great. Everything else is wonderful, too. You're such a thoughful person--you deserve all of the good mail you get!

I can't believe Kathryn cut her hair! At least it's coverable. I would have been so mad. I think a good yelling at was in order! I sometimes wonder if Kaitlin will ever do something like that. She's not the kind of kid who gets into things. She must have permission for everything. I could see her asking me if she could cut her hair. She'd probably get a yelling at for just asking--just to put the fear of Mommy into her!

Diana said...

Melanie that's too bad about the hair, I am so afraid for the day that Kira does that for the first time, seriously I'll have no idea on how to hide it.

Thanks for sharing how you make magnets. I love when you find something so cool when you're not even looking for it.

What fun Valentine's to get in the mail. I hope your Valentine's day was fun and romantic.

becca said...

Oh, so sorry about the hair cutting incident! I think EVERY girl does it at some point, just be glad it can be hidden I guess!!!

When I was like 10 one of my friends thought that something was wrong because her SIDE ponytail was all uneven, ...so she evened it out and when she took it out one side was above her shouler and the other side about 4 inches longer! She wore her hair in a side ponytail for a week before her mom found out (lucky at almost 11 she could do her own hair)...Her mom was so made, but not as sad as my friend when she had to get a major hair cut!!

Thanks for the magnet tip...I love that idea

jenn said...

EVERY one of my kids has cut their hair, although Ethan had serious coaxing from an older sibling. It is terribly annoying, especially since we are the ones who have to look at it! But, it does grow back. And later, you WILL laugh! And for the record, I yelled at my kids too! Enough to prevent them from repeat performances!
Glad your package came and that you are as big a fan of rice krispie treats as we are! I knew I liked you Melanie :)

Melinda said...

Oh I am so sorry about the hair!! We have had 2 situations with that. I have all our scissors hidden.

I love the magnets! They are darling. THanks for the tips. They would be so fun to do for teachers and personalize them. Great idea!

Anonymous said...

Oh, the hair! The hair! Why in the world do children feel the need to cut their own hair? Especially when lucky ones like yours have a mom who can do it for them? So funny that she hid the little pile under her bed.

What darling magnets! What grandmother would not be thrilled to receive such a gift? It is the exact thing I would want hanging on my fridge! I've made those kinds of magnets before, but not with pictures. Must give it a shot.

Christina said...

oh..you know ive had the hair thing! remember MC!! haha..GEESH! my first two NEVER cut their hair and out of 4 SO FAR its only been one girl..not bad! 1 for 4!

fun good mail! my kids are WAY jealous that i get good mail too- heheh

Elizabeth said...

I'm glad you posted about the magnets. I will have to check out target while I am on the mainland.

Lauralee said...

hi I am one of Christina's friends.. I just wanted to say thanks for the magnet idea.. I love that you put pictures on them.. great gift idea!
and... my sister had a good friend at the Y named Milo.. that isn't a very common name.. I wonder if her friend is now your husband??? I met him a few times.. he was tall and skinny and played the guitar.. that is about all I remember... does that describe him?? just thought I would ask!

Anonymous said...

Oh, a haircut. Not good! We've only had that happen once, and it was just a piece next to her face. It was the best possible scenario. But, still! Why are they compelled to do that?? I can't figure it out.

annalisa said...

I would have been yelling about the hair too. When I was 3 I cut my own hair. My younger sister caught me and wanted to join in. When she butchered her hair I fixed it for her. She bounded down the stairs to show my mom her new haircut. To my mom's frantic yelling she replied I had cut her hair. I got in so much trouble, but hey they never even noticed I cut my own hair. Maybe I should have grown up to be a hair stylist!
Thanks for the magnet info.

amy gretchen said...

I've had a hair cutting incident as well. Luckily it wasn't too bad since Megan's hairs not so great anyway. What a bummer.

Looks like some fun mail. I thought your magnets were so cute. I've made them before but never thought of doing photos. Genius.

Laralee Anderson said...

That's too funny about her hair. When I was about 4 I cut my hair. It was really long and I cut it all choppy. My sister, Annalisa, tried to straighten it out and cut it like a bob. (Not bad for being 5). When my mom freaked out and asked me who did it I replied, "Annalisa." She got in trouble, I didn't. Man I was horrible as a child! No worries, I made it through my childhood just fine with a funny haircut. :)

Jill said...

That's so sad about Kathryn's hair. Whitney has only cut her own hair once and it wasn't very noticeable, though I've had lots of friends whose daughters have managed to take large, ill-placed chunks out of their own hair. So sad, but it must be a right of passage in childhood.

That Valentine package from Jenn is so cute! I love the letter magnet. She can work her creative magic anywhere!

Laurie said...

Love the magnets. Thanks for sharing.

I definitely feel for you on the hair. When the kids do it they probably don't care so much, but as mom we are the ones that have to look at them day in and day out when their hair is tweaky!

Crystalyn said...

oh melanie! it would have been hard not to get upset about that one...especially with a prior offense! at least it's not on the very, very front of her hair. it sounds like you can camoflauge it a little.

thanks for magnet tips! i think i saw those rocks at target but am not creative enough to have come up with that idea. i'll be looking for them when i'm there today.

everything pink! said...

so funny about the hair... i can't beleive non of my kids have done that, but oh they will i am sure.

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh my goodness....stay calm>>>> I don't know how you did it....I love the vase with all those silver things!