Saturday, February 03, 2007

Out of Character

Today I stepped outside the box and even hours later, I don't regret it. I have mentioned before that I am unorganized, I forget my lists, and I hate to rush. Today some friends called and asked if we (the kids and I, Milo was sleeping) wanted to go to IKEA? WHAT??!! (it is 3 hours away, over a mountain pass. HELLO, I hate to travel on bad roads in the winter, so NO!) Luckily my friend heard the panic in my voice and suggested we go to a town about an hour away. OK, I think I could handle that even though normally I would say no. Usually something like this is what I would say 'I have a haircut', 'I have church early tomorrow', or 'I don't feel like dragging the kids all over.' Here is the shocking part, 'I said I'll be there in an hour!' We went to Target (twice in one week is very rare), ate at Red Robin, went to a very small mall, the kids slept the entire way home (I think they burned 8,000 calories with all the walking we made them do.) and we only had bad weather the last 10 miles before getting home. We had a great time. I was able to get somethings I had forgotten when I went on Monday and it was stuff I really wanted (um needed).

As I was rushing out to our friend's house I was able to stop at the post office and send some Good Mail. I have been getting it ready for the past couple days and it feels good to let it leave my hands. Our post office only has the office hours of 11-2 on Saturdays. I thought it was 10-2 so when I got there at 10:45 I was surprised to already be the 10th person in line. Why oh why can't we have the automated machine Jill talks about? I usually don't take the kids inside, we just do a drive by or I have Milo take my stuff when he goes to school. It just isn't a kid friendly place (is yours?). While waiting in line, the kids were fascinated with all the P.O. boxes. I was trying to explain what they were while the older lady in front of me was obviously listening. She kindly turned around and said 'I'll show my box to them if you don't mind. Would they like that?' Of course they would like to be entertained while waiting in line (vs being talked to sternly by mom to stop moving around and stand still)! She took them over to her box (where was my camera?) and told them about what went on behind all the boxes. How they sorted it by the number on the box and how every box was different. She even put one of her letters back inside and let them get it out for her. She had to be a teacher at some point in her life, she just looked like one and she got down on their level. I haven't encountered such a nice stranger in a long time and it was a breath of fresh air. I hope it made her smile the rest of the day too.

I start the library in the morning! I started to panic about getting there on time and being ready for it but really I am not going to get all crazy and stress about it. Is that the right attitude? I'm sure I'll have something to post about after all the copies I make and scriptures I check out. That's important, inspiring stuff, Ha!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your outside the box experience was worth it! I love when I get past myself and just do it. Usually it ends up being a great experience.

I wish my post office had the auto thing as well- it is so close that I just can't justify driving to another one that has the machine. The PO Box lady experience is awesome. I never come in contact with strangers like that! What a good day to have that happen as well.

Liz said...

I need to step outside the box myself. Glad you had fun doing it!

Your PO sounds like mine, small, and long lines. I am glad you had a friendly stranger! Love that!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on taking a step! That is so awesome!

becca said...

What a nice lady! I NEVER take my kids to the post office with me...they can't stand still and the lines are so long! What a sweet person to spend the time talking to your kids. I would like to be like that someday! (But that would require me to step out of my box...a very hard thing to do!)

annalisa said...

I laughed at the comment really wanted (um needed). It's funny how we get stuck in our homebody attitudes and drag our feet about getting out when we always have fun doing so.
I just love friendly strangers (as opposed to ones who give you glares when your children misbehave). See you were off sending tangible generosity and you got some back in return!

jenny said...

Sounds like a good day. I am glad you decided to go.

We have automated postal machines, but it's still stressful for me because Luke and Weston run around like crazy people while I am trying to do it.

What a sweet lady. I love strangers like that--best kind.

Laurie said...

I would have said no to the 3 hour drive to IKEA too! YIKES. I'm impressed you took the hour drive too. That's a drive.

We don't have automated machines at the post office either. I can't stand ours. It's impossible to not encounter lines when I can go. I miss the BYU post office!

Donna said...

Good for you for stepping outside of the box!!!!!
I hope you have a great day at church!!!!! What town did you go to?

amy gretchen said...

I would totally be up for a trip to IKEA, but can imagine a 3 hr drive with kids not so fun. I glad you were able to make something work out because it sounds like you had a great time.

You know you can have a automated machine in your house. All you need is a scale and the internet. Go to usps.com and check it out. I guess if you had it though, you wouldn't have encountered such an nice lady. It refreshing to know that people like that are out there.

I hope all went well as the librarian.

Crystalyn said...

how fun! sounds like it was great to just go with it. i find that i usually don't regret doing that and wonder why i don't more often. thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

I have never been to an IKEA. They are opening one here this summer. Is it bad that I am already making a list?

I loved reading about your experience at the PO. What a treasure, that lady, and a neat experience for your kids. I hope that she chuckled as she recounted the story to her husband later that evening.

Elizabeth said...

I love the post office story! What a nice thing for her to do for the kids and for you. I can't wait ttill they get a target here. A year or two is all. Right now I am settling for free shipping on their clearance items.

Laralee Anderson said...

I always love reading your posts. They are so entertaining, I love your personality. We don't have an IKEA in Utah...yet. I don't even know when the new one is supposed to open but I have been putting off buying anything until it comes. How lame is that? I have never even been to one but have heard wonderful things. I hope you got lots of stuff you wanted, I mean needed.

I don't understand why they don't have a drive thru at the post office. You can't tell me they don't have children misbehave on a daily basis there. It would make so much sense. And what a nice lady! That is what happens when you are doing something nice for somebody else. You get what you give. I have a sign in my office, "Speak Kind Words, Hear Kind Echoes." You deserved the good deed.

Amie said...

I haven't ever been to IKEA but I better have a lot of money to spend guilt free if I am going to drive 3 hours each way!

I love people like the lady in the post office - why didn't I get any personality. I feel like a rock when I have to interact outside of my comfort zone.

I shopped at Target for my good mail too. I wonder if good mail has helped their sales?

Christina said...

i LOVE the old lady! i hope and try to be like her..

wow- nice that you "stepped out" of your zone and went shopping! and geesh- i too would have said no to a 3 hour away ikea..im not a big fan of ikea..so saying no REALLY would have not been too hard for me!!

i just use the postal annex or the ups store here..i NEVER go to post offices!!

Buffy said...

I love the story with the old lady in the post office. You are probably right when you say she had to be a teacher at some point in her life. It's not always easy to find people as nice and patient with little ones in the post office as she was. That's great. I want to be her.

anonymousloveletters@gmail.com said...

a love letter for you - valentines day is coming up!!!

Jill said...

Hey, going to Target twice in one week is a great thing, I'm glad you stepped out of your comfort zone and went.

The story of the lady at the post office hurts my heart a little bit, so sweet.

I'm sure you'll do great in the library, you've got skills!

Thanks for the great good mail you sent to our book club!! You are so sweet to do that! Collette posted about it.

michelle said...

I love kind strangers! It can turn a bad experience right around. I can't believe you don't have an automated machine, maybe you should lobby for one! Do you have a grocery store that does mailing? That is my new post office, and never any lines!

A trip to IKEA is well worth the hassle, hope you got some good stuff!