Does starting this post at 11:56 and finishing it well after midnight still count for Self Portrait Tuesday? I hope so, it was all I had to go with.
Before the rundown of my day (which you can readily skip), this is what I see. A mole right above the left side of my mouth, in the same place as my mom, I've always liked it. In junior high I wanted to darken it like Brooke Shields. I tried one day (only one) and it was hideous! I always notice my crooked smile, my turned up nose and my full (ok bushy) eyebrows. But I don't get down on myself for these at all. I like (or better said) I am one with my wrinkles, my gray hair (colored of course) and my dark circles. Until blogging I don't think I have ever taken a self portrait. Watch out, I like it, even with me looking like this. I might do it more often.
Here is my Tuesday 2/20/2007.
-Woke up early thanks to the boys wanting to be up at 6:30. Um no, lay here and go back to sleep.It worked for 30 minutes. Just enough time for me to not be grumpy all day long.
-Worked in Kathryn's class, stuffing backpacks. I don't hate her teacher, I am just NOT impressed (in any way at all). After seeing what most of your kindergarten kids are doing, this teacher is way behind the game. Good thing Kathryn is such a good student (she is at the top despite her teacher being at the bottom. I'll stop. Can you tell I have an opinion on this?)
-Had lunch with my Grandma. She came into town (she lives in a town even smaller than mine!) to go to the doctor and so she always comes to see the kids and I. Here is how our lunch went. It wont be as funny here since there will be no visuals but just try. Her mouth was watering (her words) for prawns. Uh, the only place for those here is Skippers (yuck) so I take her there knowing I'm not eating there and neither will my kids. Thankfully I convince her to get it and take it back to my house. She licks her lips at the drive thru guy when he asks if she wants sauces. I guess that means yes if you are 83? I rolled my eyes and smiled at him, we definitely had that unspoken exchange of understanding. Onto McDonald's. We get the kids their food, and when we are at the window I remember I have a headache. I ask the guy to add a small diet coke and she starts to whine about forgetting to order her a drink. Pause for a minute. I HATE ordering her a drink anywhere, she always asks for lemonade with an inch of Sprite (sorry if you do this, for some reason I feel so lame asking for it). Ok so I ask the guy for a Sprite with some lemonade and she QUICKLY stops me and says 'No, no lemonade with an inch of Sprite.' At this point I started to laugh (thankfully she did too) and told the guy 'Sorry I can't take her anywhere' and again rolled my eyes (I might need to stop that). It was pretty funny. When we came back here to eat, she was just so happy with her prawns. Good. It was no small act to get her food, sauces AND the drink of course.
-Made 2 loaves of banana bread. One to keep, the other to give away as a thank you gift. Nathan has been trying to eat the whole loaf all day. I kept telling him it was too hot (at least an hour). Was that so bad? I want some for breakfast.
-Went to kick boxing for 1 hour. We worked out our arms with weights and punched with boxing gloves. I left with that good 'worked out' feeling, love that!
-Watched American Idol. Thankfully it was on DVR so I could watch it QUICK! This beginning phase really is too much of a tv commitment for me. 4.5 hours in one week, all on one show? Only with the fast forward button.
-At 11:00 (the reason for the late start and finish of this post), Nathan came out of his room crying because he was so hungry. I'm afraid it means he has an upset stomach and will throw up tonight. I'm also afraid to fall asleep, just to be woke up with throw up. Stay tuned for that one.
So there it is my day and my picture. I guess this means I get wordy at 1 am.

18 comments:
Melanie...I love your descriptions. I'm going to try to be more at one with my wrinkles, frizz, and full chin :)
What a crack-up about your grandma. I love that you indulge her, if you don't, who else will?
I love your descriptions, too. But it's hard to be at one with my flaws -- I'm working on it...
I should clarify, I am for the most part at 'one' with my flaws above my neck. If we start talking whole body, well that's a whole different issue!
I have been one with my flaws for a long time, mainly because I have little choice in the matter! How am I going to get rid of those wrinkles? I can't afford plastic surgery! My gray hair is the only thing I can fix, and I do! I love your self portrait, kick boxing sweaty and all!
I love the story of your grandma. I love that she comes to visit you, and I love that you like her to come. Funny!
Great post. You have NO wrinkels!! What a womderful story about your Grandma.
It's interesting to hear someone talk about themself because really I don't see the flaws they do. The photo is great and I hope you do it more often.
I have never had such a relationship with either of my grandmothers. It wish I had.
You made it in under the wire! Congrats to you for putting it out there. So good to "see" you! :)
I am thinking about it for next week! :)
Hope your little one did not get sick in the night?
Super post! You are a good girl to indulge your grandma. My inlaws order water, a bowl of lemons (because they don't charge for those) then use up all the sugar packets at the table to make their own free lemonaid (and a great big mess)!
Will we be this weird when we are old?
I love that you are able to spend time with your Gma! That is so funny though to read about the day with her. Love that you took her to get her prawns and special drink concoction. Love the self portrait. And kick boxing? Geesh! That is awesome!!!
Great pictures. I still don't know how I feel about it yet. I hope you don't have to deal with throw up! Not a fun time. Your Grandma story was soo funny.
So glad you snuck this post in! Your picture is so fun- I love knowing we all live real world days! I knew this girl who got dressed up, full make-up EVERY day! And always before she could leave the house. She and I did NOT get along very well!
I am SO hoping today's post does not include Nathan throwing up! I seriously think I would rather wake up to fire than throw up! OK. Not fire. But throw up is high on the list of worst things to wake up to!! Hoping you had a good night...
Your picture is great. I so wished I looked that good after a workout.
I loved your story. Richard's mom likes diet coke with a little bit of regular. It is always hard to order that at a drive thru.
I really don't believe your picture was taken after working out and in the late night hours. You are too cute!
I hope your little guy didn't get sick in the night like you were fearing! Someone has to stay well in the world!
I love your recap of your day. I am laughing about your grandma--classic.
I think your mug shot is great. I am full of moles one thing I hate about myself.
I'm with you on AI I was pretty disappointed and it's a good thing we have it on DVR as well. I am hoping the girls performances will shine a bit more.
Your grandma sounds highly amusing. I wouldn't want to special order the drink either, but I guess it's not really a big deal. She sounds cute.
Hooray for your post-kick boxing self portrait! Congrats on being a gym diva!
Your grandma sounds like a hoot! Your relationship with her reminds me of the relationship I hd with my Grandpa. We were always ribbing each other (sometimes not so gently) but we knew there was a foundation of love and admiration behind it.
Don't you just love grandparents and elderly people who are just old enough to do whatever they want 'cuz they're old? I love it! Everyone has great grandparent stories. When I was 9, I was travelling with my great grandparents and my mom. At Mt. Rusmore, my great gramp went walking w/one shoe & one slipper on with a bright shiny baby blue coat with a large bird on the back (the bird is flippin' off the spectatord - i'll have to find a pic). Anyway, he's walking, walked away from us and went down a trail downhill. He knew it wasn't the right way, but didn't want to walk uphill, so he kept going. I am not sure how long it took us to find him, but we were a little freaked!
Post a Comment