On Friday I took off again out of town for hair supplies. We had just been there the week before but one of the supply stores I frequent isn't open on Sat (hate that). I always underestimate what products/colors I need and find myself having to go out of town again (not always a bad thing). It falls under the category of spending money to make money. I have to buy and stock the color if I want to be able to work. Thankfully Milo had finally come to understand this. When I first started working home he thought it wasn't necessary. Now I have shelves of color, waiting to be used and make me money while making women happy (really the best part & such a good combo!).
Sat we had a four stake women's conference. I almost didn't go but I had been asked to make a crustless quiche and therefore was bound to at least drop it off. I decided to stay and I am so glad I did. The theme was building a refuge. In all places, in our home, our community and our world.There was a brunch and 4 short speakers. I loved the fact that I was leaving before 12:30. My kind of church activity on a Sat. I have a few thoughts from one of the speakers, I am sure he connected with most people there. What he had to say just 'makes sense'. I love speakers that don't go over my head! Here are some thoughts from him (he is a therapist/counselor so it contained positive talk, the good kind.) So much more was said, why can't I ever regroup my thoughts? I forget it all so quick, not the feeling, just the words.
'Simple things make sense.'
'The lower our self esteem, the more we believe someone else holds the keys to our happiness.'
'We are required to make peace or we will never be content.'
'The greatest success, is successful self acceptance.' Ben Sweet
When dealing with our kids 'Rub out mistakes with humor, not rub them in.'
Avoid the 3 P's. Perfection (the desire for) leads to...Procrastination (the putting off until it is perfect) leads to....Paralization (the fear to try at all).
In just giving these short quotes, I'm doubtful that his message made it to you. I wish I could write it all down when I'm listening. I need to learn shorthand in a big way. We hear a message like this over and over. I guess how we change it all is accepting the call to action. I'm working on just that this year.
I have been wanting to play with the camera I got for Christmas and Anna's new baby was the perfect opportunity. Milo was so willing to just stay with the kids all day so I could get up lifted and take some really cute shots of Dallin. I have never seen a 2 week old baby stay awake as long as he did. He would not give in for anything. Lots of blurry shots because he wouldn't sit still. We wanted some sleeping shots so I'll have to go back and try again.
He is so sweet and I know I have mentioned several times how much I LOVE newborns. Dang it, with everyone around me having babies I want to join in. Maybe someday.Today at church I was dealing with library issues. We have the crappiest copier known to man and everyone complains about it, it didn't start with me. So today when I have stacks upon stacks to copy, the stake guy in charge show up. I'm sure he is a nice man, it's just that I was in production mode with this 'great' calling and wasn't in the mood to talk copiers. First he was watching me and the copier and said 'Looks like to me they are spitting out pretty good and pretty fast.' What in the world, no they aren't they creep (NOT spit) out! I guess if you are old this is one high speed copier. Then I started to get the speech about how we want all things fast, at our fingertips and don't want to wait for things to do their job. Let's just say at this point I wasn't welcoming him behind the counter with open arms. He came over, started messing with it, acted like he knew what was up and left. Right in the 'rush' of this important job, the copier JAMS UP (because of him messing with it no doubt)! I was not happy! I have started becoming like all the others ward librarians (easily annoyed and territorial)! Not good! I am in high doubts of a new copier at our building, oh well what would I complain about if we did get one?


11 comments:
Woohoo, first to comment. You've definitely been busy. I want to see pictures of where you cut hair. It would be good to have a visual of this part of your life. (Hopefully I haven't missed it if you've already posted about that.)
I'm glad you stayed at the Stake Women's Conference, I'm always glad when I go to stuff like that and have gotten my own slurred speedy way of taking notes now. I don't know if anyone else can decipher them, but I can so that works for me. Thanks for posting your notes.
Those pictures of the baby are beautiful. He seems very alert for a 2 week old baby.
It seems like church libraries always have crappy copiers. I try not to ever make copies at the church.
Ah in true LDS style, the library copier stinks! I'll pay 11% to get a few kinks worked out like heat in winter, AC in summer and library copiers!
I love the visual of you becoming the Library Nazi. I guess I'll cut our librarian some slack now that I know she probably started out mellow but was forced to turn because of little men messing with her copier!
Melanie, the quotes you shared are so inspirational and I love them. I am going to add them to my fave list and I need to perhaps post them about my house. The one of self-esteem: perhaps on the mirror? Soooo true.
The one about kids and rubbing out with humor not in could be posted in a few places for good measure. So true, is that one as well. I need to remember that when I am deep in the trenches of motherhood, as I like to say.
Thanks for sharing...oh the baby was just too cute. I am always thrilled to hold and cuddle newborns. Brings back such sweet memories. I always think "were my girls ever this tiny" and all of those thoughts. I eagerly await my best friend's little one and can't wait to spoil him/her.
Thanks for sharing your notes...oh I love babies!
Sounds like a busy, productive weekend.
I want to get a copier to have at home. It seems I always am needing one.
Making money while making women happy is a great combo indeed! Very cool to be able to do something from home too. I can imagine that the shelves of color must look very pleasing.
Love the photos of the new baby!
I think all church library copiers are cramp!!!!
What a wonderful Stake Women's Conference you had.
The quote on The self-esteem. "The lower our self esteem, the more we believe someone else holds the keys to our happiness." So great. I needed that!!!
I agree with jill. Post a pic of where you cut hair. I would love to see it.
Have a great day.
Sounds like a great conference and a talk I would love to hear. I love the idea of my home being a refuge and finding the simple out of life.
The baby photos are beautiful.
Sorry about the copier fiasco. I seem to never use my wards because there's always something wrong. Why is that?
Busy indeed. I am loving those baby pictures. So cute. What kind of camera did you end up getting for Christmas. I can't remember or did you post about it?
I totally agree with church copiers that SUCK. I think we tend to buy the cheapest on the market to save money.
Wow - I loved the quotes you shared. I had a boss when I worked at BYU that knew shorthand, and I always thought that would be the best skill. I can't keep up!
Beautiful baby photos! And what a fun excuse to go back to need to take some sleepier shots!
Sorry about your copier - ugh. They would be more likely to buy a new one if they were the ones using it every week.
I am so gald you are one of the women that make other women feel rejuvenated. I just got my hair colored yesterday, and I feel like a new women.
Good luck with the copier situation.
Our ward has a big sign outside the door that says if you have to make more than 10 copies, you can't do it on Sunday "until the copying can get under control!" In my opinion, it's called, "GET A NEW MACHINE! It's not like we can't afford it." I am impatient, so those copiers driver me batty!
Cute pics of the baby! I'd love to take photos like that - I got a new camera a couple weeks ago and will be taking a class soon.
Thanks for posting about the Women's Conference; I wasn't able to make it. Great stuff!
Post a Comment