Friday, March 30, 2007

His first one

Well today Dane got his first cast (news of the fracture below) and after we left the office, I'm wondering, how many more will there be with this kid? He left in such good, funny spirits. We'll see if that sticks around at 2 in the morning. Our afternoon in pictures...

{This is Dane telling me that 'It's the left one that's broken mom.'}

The nurse asked him what color of cast he would like. He quickly answered blue. She started listing off all of his choices (there were many) and he just sat there for a second. I asked him again and quite annoyed he said 'I already told you, I WANT blue.' So blue it is. I should have known too, he only likes to eat his oatmeal out of a blue bowl. Somethings just aren't worth a fight.

Thinking the doctor is so funny putting this long sock on his leg. It was good to learn that even at 3 1/2 he uses humor to get through things. What a great lesson to learn. Let's hope it sticks with him.
I thought the nurse did a great job with the pictures. I didn't want to seem crazy but this must be documented. I love that she knew exactly what I meant when I asked her to take pictures.
After they left the room, I took a couple more pictures. He kept thinking it was so funny to be sitting in his underwear. He is going to LOVE not wearing pants. He wants to wear shorts everyday. Now one of his wishes will come true (for the next 2 weeks at least).

Dane knocking on his 'really hard leg' (his words). He kept saying the funniest things. And judging how bedtime went tonight, I doubt the funny lasts for the next 14 days. He was saying how hard it was to get his leg to sleep. I have no idea since I haven't had a cast but I'm guessing it isn't the most comfortable. Any broken bones for you?

21 comments:

Jill said...

What a cool cast. I'm glad you got in on the pictures.

Elizabeth said...

What a happy boy for having a broken foot. What cute photos.

Anonymous said...

Sound like Dane all the way! I can't believe he had a fracture for days! But the cast is cute. The first of the kids to have broken anything. He will definitely love those pictures when he's older. Let me know how he likes it tomorrow. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Awesome photo documenting! Little casts are sad but oh so cute. You can really see his personality in these pictures and how he must be such a happy/funny kid.

No broken bones here- I think a cast would drive me bonkers though. Good luck with the sleeping!

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures Melanie. What a good idea to get one of Dr. Milligan in with you and Dane, too.

What a fun (albeit expensive!)toy-for-awhile for a kid. I ALWAYS wanted a cast when I was little.

becca said...

I am so glad you documented and took your camera (I never think to do that!) He is so cute!

Anna said...

That was the same color my cast was, except mine went up to my thigh! Believe me the kids not lying whenhe says its hard to sleep with a cast on! Luckily its only for 2 weeks! I love that kid.

Bridget said...

I recently just came out of a cast. It's not a whole lot of fun, but it does help it heal faster. Poor buddy! Seems like he is being a good sport about it, though. Love the pictures!

Natasha said...

That's awesome that he has maintained his sense of humor through this Melanie. Hope it heals quickly!

Anonymous said...

So kissables didn't work as the perfect medicine this time? :) Hope it heals quickly.P.S I know it's random that I read your blog and I don't know you, but it's an addicting habit :)

Christina said...

ohhh that is so cute! smart to have the nurse take pics!

Laurie said...

You were smart to have the nurse snap photos because they are so cute! Way to document even in a semi crazy moment.

jenny said...

Can't say that I have ever had a broken bone. My husband has been wanting to take my kids in and put a cast on them for fun at work. They ALL freaked out. What party poopers. Adorable photos!! My kids are underware happy too :)

michelle said...

I've never had a cast either. Max broke his foot a couple of years ago and said the cast was pretty annoying. His foot would get so hot and itchy. Plus it was a pain to take a bath with his foot sticking out of the tub! I can imagine it being hard to go to sleep with a really hard leg. We documented the cast process, too. Hopefully you won't be doing that again!

Amie said...

He looks so happy. It is funny to see a post about broken bones with all smiles! That seems like a much more pleasant way to do it though.

carlo said...

humor goes a long way with stressful situations, doesn't it? i try to remember that but it is not always easy. my ellie is the humorous one and she does try hard to remind me...

great pics and yay to documenting it. you look so adorable in the pics, melanie!

amy gretchen said...

What a bummer for needing a cast, I find it so difficult to keep them (child) clean, but how cute is he with his cast. Such a cute boy.

At least it's not during the summer.

Price Cream Parlor said...

Love that you thought to photo document this! What a doll he is!

Diana said...

Dane is so cute. I'm happy you got it all in pictures. Dane has a great sense of humor, I imagine my little ones would be crying the whole time.
Good job Dane.

annalisa said...

So sad :(. Me, just once. Broke my foot walking down the stairs when I skipped an extra step and twisted my ankle. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

nice bulge in his undies i want to suck it, i love sucking them young