Friday, March 30, 2007

My Mom and her toys

My mom got here last night around 9. Her plane was delayed in Las Vegas and she was almost 2 hours late getting here. I hate late planes. Luckily I wasn't waiting around for her with the kids at that time of night. Her friend picked her up and brought her home from the airport (80 miles away). Thank goodness for good friends!

She always brings a new electronic toy with her (this time she brought two). My brother teases her that she has $50,000 worth of toys and doesn't own a single one. Her work buys her stuff ALL the time (At Christmas she brought the new Macbook Pro, that's old news now). They have tons of money they must spend so they buy all the latest gadgets. Seriously, who gets a job like that? Far from motherhood no doubt. This is her latest, the Sony VAIO TX. It is the tiniest laptop I have ever seen. Of course she knows how to use it more than me so I guess it works for her. It has a scanner for the password, it reads her finger! Technology is so fast moving it's almost scary!


This is the other toy she brought, old to her now, she has had it over 2 months. It is this pair of glasses called iTheater. It lets you watch a movie from your iPod and projects it to look like a 50 inch TV, 8 feet away (I could be a little off on the numbers.) Milo thought is was quite cool, he loves all the toys she brings. So here he is enjoying a little King Arther.

In other news, I took Dane to the doctor on Tuesday because he had been limping since Sunday night from his latest injury. He hurt his foot jumping from chair to chair at Milo's mom's house. They were upstairs playing so we don't know exactly what happened but it was one of those times that the cry was not for attention. They took some x-rays and said it was fine and would heal in the next few days. He has still been limping and I had decided that if he was still limping on Mon, I would call again. You know, so as to not seem like a crazy parent. Today the nurse called and said that after the radiologist read the films, there is a fracture. What the heck? I know, it's common but I feel so bad because I have been pushing him all week. You know the lines, 'Your foot is fine', 'Stop crying', 'Get your shoes on right now!' Oh my word the guilt is so high right now. We have an appt at 3 this afternoon so who knows what they plan on doing with him. Hopefully he takes it all like a champ.

Tonight Kyle and Heidi and Kate (brother and family) will be here to hang out. Hopefully we will make my brother and Milo play a game, that's always fun since they don't want to half the time. Kathryn will be Kate's babysitter and the boys will be crazy as usual. What are you doing on this Fri night?

11 comments:

Matt said...

My mom gets cool toys too....not as cool as those you showed, but mom doesn't know how to use any of them. I still program her microwave and set up her tv channels everytime we visit.
This weekend we are garage saleing and hopefully making enough $$ for Britts trip to South Korea, your weekend sounds better!

donna said...

WOW my husband would love those new electronic toys!!!! How fun.
So sorry about Dane foot!
Have fun tonight.

Call me when come my way.

amy gretchen said...

I like your mom already. I am huge fan of technology and the latest toy even though I don't own any.

Sorry about Dane's foot and hope he recovers quickly. Try not to feel guilty...it happens.

becca said...

Wow, what a great job to buy her all those fantastic gadgets! My husband would LOVE that!

Poor Dane! My Chelsey broker her ankle when she was one and we didn't catch the fracture until the second trip to the doctor a week later! It made me so sad, esp. becuase she was too young to tell me it hurt (she wasn't walking on it after a week, which is why we xrayed it again.)

Brandon and I get to go out Friday night a lot, but are staying in tonight! Sometimes there is just nothing better than getting the kids in bed and curling up on the couch to watch a good movie...have fun tonight!

Sarah said...

im SO jealous of all the tech toys! i'd be in HEAVEN!! i loveeee small laptops!!

ouchie about dane's foot..did grandma bring any "grandma medicine"?

Anonymous said...

Oh ouch Melanie. I feel guilty with you on Dane's foot. It brings back my own painful inadequacies (I was ok until you said, "Get your shoe on.").

Remember those little click viewers that have the little white disks with little pictures of movies in them? (Can't remember the name now.) Who'd have guessed the next step up from those would be that very cool thing Milo is playing with.

Have fun with the family.

jenny said...

That is a cool little toy. Finger for a password...? Sounds like something out of mission impossible.

Sorry to hear about Dane's foot. I would have been doing the same thing. I am not a very sympathetic mom...I hate to say. Most of the time I say "your fine--suck it up!" Isn't that mean? Hope you guys have a fun night. I am just blogging (obviously) and Doug is playing x-box. Isn't that romantic?

Jill said...

Poor little guy with his fractured foot, what's up with the delayed diagnosis?

Have fun with your family!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Melanie! I'm so sorry about Dane, and I know this EXACT feeling! Last year, I took a bunch of girls down to clogging camp, and the SECOND I got home from this totally exhausting trip, Zoey was in my face about how her arm hurt and she had fallen on it, and she thought it was broken, and I was like, You are fine, walk away from me now. Needless to say, broken. And if that wasn't bad enough, broken so bad that it needed surgery. Fun times, that mother guilt. Good luck with the cast! Dane is adorable!

michelle said...

Ooh, those toys looks so fun! Love the virtual goggles.

Poor Dane, poor you! Mommy guilt is the worst. How were you to know? I do it to myself too...

carlo said...

cool mom!!

so sorry to hear about dane. poor guy!