Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Self Portrait in My Mirror

{At least one Tues, I'll post a picture that wasn't taken at 10:30 pm when I'm tired! Maybe}

I spend most of my working time looking in a mirror cutting hair. But I'm usually not looking at my own face. I look at my hands, the hair I'm holding onto and the other face that is most of the time looking back at me. It is one time I usually don't feel very self conscious in front of a mirror and I love it. I don't worry about my shirt or jeans being too tight, I let go and do my job. It tends to make me happy.

I used to really struggle with what I saw in the mirror and while even now I don't 'love' what I see, it doesn't bother me (most of the time). I have been learning to love me, not matter what I see. Right now I see someone working on 'it', the adventure we call life (so cheesy to say but I really mean it). I could list all that I struggle with but really I do try to see the positive (unless it is Sunday and I have NO church clothes to wear, that 's another story all together!).

Love the challenge Lelly, thanks again!

20 comments:

donna said...

"I have been learning to love me, not matter what I see. Right now I see someone working on 'it', the adventure we call life".
I love it. I need to do that as well. Thanks for such a wonderful post!!!!!

Diana said...

Thanks for your words it's nice to hear that other people think the same things that I think. I really love this post. You look very pretty in the picture.

Anonymous said...

Melanie,

This is such a cool picture. I think your thoughts are very cool, also--learning to love what we see. How can babies who are toothless, bald AND drooling be in love with themselves and give themselves a great big kiss in the mirror every time they look in one, but us (with teeth, hair and minimum slobber) cut ourselves to the quick? Go figure. It doesn't make sense, and your comments remind me of that.

jenn said...

very cool picture melanie! I love how you said you aren't bothered by not loving what you see in the mirror- I feel the same! happy with me, as me.
Glad you could post before 10:30 :)

Anonymous said...

I love your picture and your perspective. I never really thought about how you are in front of a mirror all the time- I wonder how many of us could handle a job like that and not be self conscious the whole time.

Jill said...

Cute picture and great words. It's wonderful that you don't feel self-conscious in front of the mirror while you're doing hair, that would be a rough thing for me. I got my hair done today and as I sat there I thought once again about how awful I look and how enormous my head and face appear to be when my hair is wet and I've got a black plastic cape around my neck, so grim.

Elizabeth said...

Oh I can sympathize with that whole Sunday morning experience.
I love your interpretation.

michelle said...

I love it! Very cool interpretation. I would have a very hard time being in front of the mirror for extended periods of time, like Jill said it is hard for me just to get my hair done. I'm impressed that you don't get bothered. Love Jane's comment!

becca said...

I LOVE this post. You are so cute and I love everything you just said! I love that you see someone "working on it"...what a great saying! And for some reason Sunday is the HARDEST day of the week to get dressed. No matter what, I struggle to find something to wear on Sunday!!

carlo said...

i really love the post and the pic melanie. i picture you as a fun and happy woman and this pic shows that to me. yay!!

i love the adventure we call life and it is a work in progress everyday, isn't it?

Allison said...

Wonderful! I too, am trying to love the person that I see in the reflection.

I think you look great in your picture.

Christina said...

creative picture! how come i wasnt this smart and creative???

once again i LOVE your short spunky hair!

Laurie said...

In this picture I noticed what a pretty hair color you have. I love it. It really is great that you enjoy doing hair and don't mind being in the mirror while you're working. It's always kinda weird to me to be sitting in the chair having the stylist stare at me and me staring back at them in the mirror. :-)

annalisa said...

I was reading my journal yesterday and found an entry where I was on vacation with my husband and felt comfortable in my skin and not so judgmental of myself without the other girls I worked with having their opinions in my head. It's liberating to look in the mirror and not berrate ourselves. I've gotten better, but someday that is my goal to be totally free of self criticism.

Unknown said...

i just love that you have IT. that is something that i have finally started feeling - and i still worry that tomorrow that feeling might be gone.

thanks for posting your portrait!

Price Cream Parlor said...

Great photo - interesting post about being in the mirror all the time. I love that.

Melinda said...

I love your post and everything you said. I love that you are so happy with yourself. I really wish to get there.

I love your BE list! IT is so fantastic. I saw a lot of things I forgot off my list!

amy gretchen said...

It is awesome you are in such a place. I feel I am getting there, like you said, "working on the adventure we call life"...however, I still have a ways to go.

cool photo.

rebecca said...

What a great photo! I admire your focus, your desire to "work on it." Really, that is the point, right? Thanks!

Crystalyn said...

i think you look great! i hear you on the no clothes to wear to church! it's so interesting to read all of these and find a thread of commonality in that we all tend to first see our flaws and faults. i love the idea of seeing someone we're working on because we really are all trying to get the most out of this life adventure. i love it!