This might not be a landmark you recognize. And it might not be a real landmark at all but it is a landmark in my life. I can't count how many times I have been in a car going over this bridge. The Vantage Bridge crosses the beautiful Columbia River and connects us to the west side of our state. The 'town' itself only has 83 people in it (thanks Google), in fact without the Gingko Petrified Wood State Park, it might not have visitors at all. Well probably for the gas station. Most of our vacations or days off school growing up involved ending up at our grandparents house. When we made it to the bridge that meant Grandpa and Grandma's house was only 15 miles left. I remember being excited that we were getting closer. I was (still am not) a good car traveler so when it was time to get out I was immediately in a better mood.On the way to the bridal shower this weekend I packed the tripod (first time to use it with my new camera) and hoped the weather would cooperate. It started to sprinkle but thankfully never really rained. Kathryn thought it was so funny to watch me push the button and run back into place. We took about 10 before I was happy with one. Even with the camera not moving we managed to be out of half of them (I think Kat kept moving). We had a great day together.
Check out Lelly's blog for all the Self Portrait takers.
20 comments:
this is a great landmark. knowing your story now, it give new meaning to the song 'over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we go."
note to self: must get a tripod.
other note to self: oh, yeah, must get camera fixed first!
what a great post and what a beautiful view! i love that you picked something so close to your heart.
What a cool bridge. I'm loving that you picked something with such significance to you. Nice work!
Love the story behind the bridge! So fun that you thought to take your tripod!!
Oh, you clever girl! taking a tripod with you and getting all those cute shots of you two! I love crossing that bridge too.
Thanks for a wonderful post:) I have been to that same bridge many times!
Melanie, I love the picture of you and Kathryn...and the bridge. Oh...the grade down to the bridge scares me to death but I love finally making it to the bridge and leveling out again. I hadn't thought of how that bridge connects us to the west side. Good point. Good picture. Good post.
I also love the story behind the bridge. I have never tried a tripod, but that seems perfect for a self-portrait!
This a perfect shot. Good thinking using a tripod. Maybe If I got one I could prevent all the double chins appearing on Tuesdays.
Duh...a tripod. I HAVE a tripod. Here I am taking a million pictures of my forehead and wondering how everyone else is getting great shots. I'm retarded.
This is a cool post, your pictures are great and I love the relevance of the bridge in your life.
Great photo Melanie. I love the significance it has to you. And I am impressed on your tripod skills. Way to go girl!
what a great picture of you and kat and i love the story behind your landmark. i'm glad it was such a great day and that you have yet another memory added to your special place.
Love your photo and the landmark you picked. I have a thing for bridges and wished we had big ones like that where I lived. I also like that it means something to you.
Glad you had a great day with Kathryn.
How beautiful to get to drive by the lake all the time. I'd be casting glances too. Way to get it done early and good luck with your new calling!
Great photo -- I never thought of a tripod. I'll have to try that!
I never realized your town has only 86 people! Amazing!
I love the Vantage bridge - it's such a beautiful view. When I was at school at CWU was probably the earliest memories of the Ginko "Forrest" - I expected a real forrest since I grew up in the Olympic National Rain Forrest! We hiked up to the horses on the hill in the middle of the night - ya know like dumb college kids do! It was great. I do love the river though - luckily I see it everyday from where I am at (Wenatchee)!
What great pictures. I am sad that the one with you and Kat aren't coming up on my computer! I love the background to the brige. I guess I should have done something a little more sentimental. I just don't really have anything here in UT yet.
Hey, I'm Annalise's friend (step-cousin) and I've checked out your blog a couple of times. I was just curious about your good mail posts. Do you all just send little packages to eachother? Is it like a chainmail thing? I just thought it might be fun to start with my friends. THANKS :) P.S. great pictures you took of little Dallin
Cool landmark. Love that it has long-time significance for you! And I think I should get a tripod too, it would really expand the self-portrait options...
Post a Comment