Monday, April 30, 2007

Did You Catch This?


I just finished watching this, The Mormons, on PBS. I was tired watching it tonight but for the most part I liked it (I only shook my head in annoyance a couple times). Did you see this documentary? It was directed by famous filmmaker Helen Whitney and she said "Through this film, I hope to take the viewer inside one of the most compelling and misunderstood religions of our time." I really liked the first half of the show, the second left me a little disappointed (my take only).

The other half will be on Tuesday night (9-11 pm here) and will focus on the current day of Mormons and their practices. It showed a lot of missionaries in the clips. You can watch the entire program online (Tuesday at noon), just click on the link. Let me know what you think.

11 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the online tip. I was bummed to miss it since we don't have T.V. hooked up.

jenny said...

I actually taped it on our DVR, but was waiting until it finished up tonight to watch it all.

I guess we should all be aware since some non-members may now be asking questions.

Anonymous said...

We watched this last night. I was cautiously hopeful that it would be, in fact, a look at the misunderstandings, but I felt like some of the accounts were still one sided, like the account of Haun's Mill, and the account of Mountain Meadow. The events leading up to these things were somewhat brushed under the carpet. How many Mormons were exterminated under the GOVERNMENT's orders! AHHH! Anyway, I'm interested to see how the modern look at our church is. I'll be there watching!

donna said...

Oh I wanted to watch it. I forgot. I hope they will play it again.

carlo said...

i wanted to watch it but will try to catch it online. i love to learn and i am especially interested since so many of my new friends are Mormon/LDS

Christina said...

i was dissappointed in the show..they spent 10 minutes interviewing NON LDS!! whats with that?? out of all the interviewed..i saw 2 LDS..maybe 3 out of the 20 she had..dissappointing..oh well..it doesnt suprise me..i'll be watching tonite..

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad I saw it, I'm expecting it will open up lots of discussions and opportunities to share what we believe with the world. I don't believe the objective of the documentary was to share our beliefs, I felt they simply wanted to explore the phenomenon of our religion. It would have been nice if they'd have wanted to promote our beliefs or at least share what we believe (like the articles of faith) but it made me optimistic for future opportunities to share what we believe because of the exposure.

Like you, I enjoyed the first hour best.

Laurie said...

I heard it painted Joseph Smith as a lustful deviant. The ladies in my RS presidency said they came away feeling really uncomfortable with the approach. It's too bad but not really surprising. I'll have to check it out tonight to give my own view.

Anna said...

My random comment to see if my profile is working!

amy gretchen said...

I caught it the last 10 minutes so didn't watch it hoping it would play again. I'm going to check my tivo now.

Crystalyn said...

we taped it and i caught bits and pieces but am looking forward to watching it with some of our friends next weekend.

i think it's good they interviewed both lds and non-lds people. had they only interviewed lds people it would have given the appearance of being one-sided. or vica versa. just my opinion.

my thoughts on a couple of things that i saw were that our religion is so personal and we each make our own decisions. so when some shared their experiences it almost made it seem as though they were the "Mormon" way of handling things, when i believe it was the individual's way of handling it based on what they believe.

anyhow...getting lengthy. i am glad they touched on the things that people are curious about and that we are misunderstood about. i actually learned a lot.