Friday, April 27, 2007

Fun Day (and other random catch ups)

Today was my first blogger hook up and it was SO fun! Donna and I met for lunch (she bought, so sweet and I still feel guilty for it)! Thanks Donna, I haven't been there forever and it was really good. It was great to have cute Ian with us (Is he always that quiet? My 5 yr old is LOUD!) and then have her husband Ryan show up. I feel like I have known them for a long time. Is that weird (I hope not)? We had a great time and I can't wait for you guys to come to up here sometime this summer, the water park is great. And next time a trip to Target is a must. I didn't get near enough shopping in today!

Besides all the hair I did this week (WAY too much for the record) I took on this little project.

I canned pickled asparagus. We had it all the time at my grandma's house so I really like it. Milo does too but the kids not so much. Nathan told me it was too 'juicy (I think he means sour), Kathryn said it was spicy and Dane covered his mouth and refused to try it at all. Some people I have talked to look at me like I'm crazy because they have never even heard of pickled asparagus.
The best way to eat it is wrapped up in lunch meat with cream cheese. YUM! Have you ever had it and do you like it?

To cap off the day of a fun lunch, some really rushed shopping, the drive it takes to get there and back, Milo bought a car today (Mitsubishi Galant). Not new, just new to us. By the time we got home from the dealership with 3 dirty kids it was too dark for a photo, maybe tomorrow. We were on the phone off and on my whole drive home. I am excited for him, the car we just got rid of was good to us but it was way too small for Milo. And there was no cruise. And the a/c hardly worked. And it was stick shift with little power. And, well you get the point, it worked until we could get better. With him getting a job where he will be doing some traveling he needed something that fit him better. It isn't the truck or SUV he wants one day but he's a good sport and will wait it out just fine! So happy for you Milo.

The kids were excited for Milo to get a new car. The kids said he got rid of Lightning McQueen (the old car was red but NO where near fast and sporty) and now he has Sally (his new car is very light blue with 4 doors). We thought it was so funny. Too bad it isn't the real Sally, she's a Porsche! My kids have done this ever since they saw the movie in the theater. They look for all the characters around town when we are driving about. They always want to see Chick Hicks but have never seen a car covered in bumper stickers. They love seeing Sarge (an army jeep), Wingo (any car with a big fin on the back), Doc Hudson (any really old fashioned car that I don't know the name of) and Filmore (VW bus with stickers or rainbows). But the worst part about that is what they think of mini vans. (yeah, it's what I drive whether I love them or not we all fit and so does our junk.)

They think I drive MATER!! I have no idea how they made this comparison but almost all vans are Mater to them. Our van is NOT rusty and old but maybe it's the inside that throws them off? I go in spurts with keeping it clean and I love when I can actually remember to have them take in all the papers, junk, blah, blah whatever is in there, the stuff in there accumulates FAST! So, I drive Mater and Milo drives Sally. How's that for fair? Ha!

The title of this post could have been, Blogging Hiatus over. I have wanted to blog all week, I had so many posts to write this week. I even wrote them more than once in my head. And I commented on all your blogs in my head too. I hate when I can't keep up with my own documenting not to mention commenting on all of yours. Here's getting back to normal, well as normal as possible that is.

17 comments:

Amie said...

I've been blogging in my head this week too. I hate that. If I don't keep up then I usually decided it isn't worth writing, I try to still write but it isn't as fun.

I love the Mader reference. That isn't what I was expecting. James loves Mader. He would probably feel cool if he thought that's what he drove around in - I'm sure your kids think it is a good reference!

Congratulations on the new car.

michelle said...

How fun that you got to have lunch with Donna! How exciting that your husband got a new car! There is always something so exciting about that.

donna said...

Thanks for coming to see me and driving all that way.
I had a great time. The big garage sale in next Saturday.

A new car, how fun. Post pictures of it soon :) Have a wonderful weekend.

Anna said...

Did you hear that Mel? Big garage sale next weekend!!

Christina said...

fun to meet up with donna..again why did i think you lived in AZ? im such a loser!! haha oh great, everyone says rebeccad's kids are so nice and quiet and now Ian-i for SURE cant bring ANY of my kids to meet a blogger!!

FUN to get a new car- do post a pic soon!! we had our old "just make it thru college" car too..i loved that thing..it was such a beast!

Kristen said...

I think that is so neat that you met up with Donna, how far do you live from each other?

Matt said...

What fun! A new car, asparagus and Donna! What a fun, fun week!

Anonymous said...

Well I've been writing blogs in my head all week too. I've been going to bed earlier...and I've just been so busy. Plus I hate my internet...it hasn't been doing it's job.

So Matt LOVES pickled asparagas. Kara Darling would always give Matt some when we still lived in Moses.

I'm excited Milo got a new car...maybe he'll let me drive it. I remember when he got his little Mazda right after his mission. When he would actually let me drive it I felt like I was driving a sports car and so cool. How funny!

One more week...are you ready to start on your table!?! Ready or not here I come!

Christy said...

I feel like I've been on a hiatus too. I'll be driving a Mater sometime soon too. We are looking into buying a van asap. My kids are loud too!

Pickled asparagus with cream cheese and meat actually sounds good to me. :-)

Anonymous said...

My grandma used to make pickled asparagus too- I have never tried bottling it but loved eating it in the summers when we would visit.

Mya does the same car reference thing when we drive around- usually she notes the Sally and McQueen cars the most. Too cute.

Anonymous said...

Cute picture of you guys!

I have never had pickled asparagus, but my grandma always made pickled green beans.

I thought of you yesterday as I trekked over to Washington for my haircut. :)

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that you didn't know all your blogging friends to begin with. So, you just made friends with all these girls over blogging? How did you do that? I think that is pretty cool; you have quite a support group now with all of them! It's great that you were able to meet Donna in person. Sounds like you had a good time!

Just curious, how long do you have to spend blogging to be able to do your own post and then comment on everyone else's? I love receiving your comments, and I am totally impressed that you always comment! You are an inspiration! :)

jenny said...

I feel that way about blogging when I skip one day. I was just beyond tired last night--so no post for me!

I haven't heard of pickled asparagus, except for on Jane's blog. Interesting. Are they similiar to pickles?

That is so funny about the Cars references. My kids ask all the time when are we going to get rid of dad's junky car. My response is probably in a few years. I had to laugh about the Mater reference. I LOVE my mini van. That's one of Luke's favorite characters as well.

Exciting about the new car. Anything new used is great in my book, especially now that you have more features like a/c and cruise.

Crystalyn said...

i hear you on the not keeping up...i especially feel badly when i don't get around to comment on everyone's that i want to. it's a little tricky. take now for instance, thomas is asleep on my stomach and hanna is screaming, "i'm telling mom!" at the top ofher lungs in the other room.

have funny they think that vans are mader. i'm really giggling over that one.

and love that you got to have a blogger lunch. it's so fun to meet people you know in so many ways. an instant friendship.

Laralee Anderson said...

Congratulations on your new car! I can't wait to see pictures. That cracks me up about your kids, especially the van part. At least they are being observant when you drive around town. :)

carlo said...

just wanteed to send a hug and i am so envious that you and donna got to have lunch! i have been thinking about you since i read your last post...trying to get caught up here too...

Robyn said...

It's always fun to get a new car,even if it's been gently used. I think it's so funny that the kids have named them like that. We have the Cars Uno game and my kids fight about who gets what card b/c Olivia wants Porsche since she's a girl and Austin wants McQueen. Funny that your car is Mater.

I love asparagus but I am not sure if I would like it pickled. Cream cheese does usually make everything taste good!