{April 9, 2004 Kat 3 1/2}Once about 9 months after Milo's dad died I was with Kathryn's birth mom and when we were talking the Spirit told me that she would not raise the kids that were left at home. I know that sounds dramatic, I think it does too, but it was just one of those quiet whispers that you know is true. Never at that time (Nathan wasn't even 1 yet), did I think Milo and I would end up raising the youngest one. I just knew she did not have the capabilities or the desire to figure out a way to deal with her pain and be there for her kids (I wont touch that one anymore than that). It was another year and a half before the kids (6) were put into other homes, ours being one of them.
{April 10, 2004 Easter Sunday Kat 3 1/2, Nate 2 1/2}{Amazing what a bath and clean clothes can do right? Dane must have been napping.}
Nathan was 2 1/2 and Dane was only 7 months and we both knew that she was supposed to join our family. We had it confirmed more than once in the time we made the decision and she came here to live. I look back now and think no doubt those around me thought I was crazy. I mean both of us really, but Milo was so busy at the time (full time work and school), most of it (the day to day issues) fell onto me (only 7 months postpartum) and then the poor guy had to deal with me (by far the harder job). I was so tired and so emotional. The first 18 months were rough but we had SO much love and support from family and friends, we made it through. I will be eternally grateful for every thing that was done for us and on our behalf.
{Our first family trip March 2005}Kathryn has come such a long way and I know it can't be easy to understand it all in her little mind. We have been really open with her (as per a counselors advice) but until the last 6 months or so, most of it went over her head. It is funny to watch the light bulb come on as she realizes her past and the future she has here with us. I know she would rather have her family the way it was supposed to be. I mean we all have an idea of what it was 'supposed' to be like and I'm guessing 6 year olds are no different. I pray we can give her the stability and security she needs to feel loved and important.
{August 2006}Oh and the blessings, I couldn't say another thing without mentioning the blessings that the Lord has sent our way in the last 3 years. The blessings he has given Milo and I and our family are literally priceless and without number. And because of them, she is still here with us. There was a time both Milo and I didn't know if we would be able to handle having 3 kids only 3 years apart (Dane was born before Kathryn turned 3). Now the three kids can be the best of friends most days and really the boys know only a life with Kathryn here.
{August 2006}I love having this girl! She can be a girly girl yet wrestle with the best of the boys while getting covered in mud. She likes to play with the boys at school because they run and the girls are boring (should I be worried?). She loves dress up, My Little Ponies, coloring, Polly Pockets, school, riding her bike, running and all things pink or purple. She has beautiful blue eyes and the sweetest smile. She will greet anybody with a hug (scary actually) and will be your immediate friend. She can be a challenge but for the huge majority of the time she is agreeable and anything goes. Not many tantrums here. She stops and waits for Dane as he throws his 3 yr old tantrums and will mother him when he lets her. Speaking of mothering she fell right into the oldest child status perfectly, she knows how to mother the boys, even at 6. She is a strong spirit that our Heavenly Father has watched out for every step of the way along this bumpy road. I love you Kat!
27 comments:
I cant believe its been 3 yrs, more than that though I cant imagine her ever not being with you guys! She is such a special child and is lucky to have a family that loves her so much!
Wow. This is a very inspiring, faith building story for me. I think it's really wonderful that you recognized the spirt so clearly, followed it, and you all have seen so many blessings. What a peace you must, and obviously do, have from that.
Beatuiful Melanie. The whole story is beautiful, the transformation in Kathryn is beautiful and your love and concern and care for her is a beautiful thing to watch as well.
I clicke on your link from Donna's. What an amzing story about your beautiful little girl. What an amazing story.
What a 'lucky' little girl. I started crying when I read your first paragraph but have tears streaming now. I'm glad you share what you can, it is neat to see into your life and bit and know what great people you are. I know it would be hard for me to take in someone else's child but I also know the Lord would help me handle it if I needed to. (It Kat's birth mom in the picture at all?)
Thanks for sharing and reminding me - no whining today, I have it too good.
What a blessing for both her and your family. And such a great story. She is a beautiful little girl. Happy 3 year anniversary!
You have me totally crying as I read this! Kat is a very lucky little girl to have you guys in her life. It says a lot about you and Milo that you listened to the spirit and followed it. What a story!
WOW what a wonderful story. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
You have a such a beautiful family.
Have a wonderful day my friend.
wow, melanie. i did not know this story. (not sure how i missed it) what an inspiration.
wonderful post and i give you credit for your openess and honesty.
This is such a beautiful story. I'm glad you took the time to write about it. What a blessing you are to her.
Beautiful story. What a blessing for her and for you. She's beautiful. Happy 3rd!
I am totally in awe with this wonderful story. What a blessing to recognize the prompting of the spirit and then...act upon it. I am certain that you are a huge blessing to this darling daughter of yours! (and, in turn, she is a blessing to you!) Thanks for sharing such a tender story today! CUTE FAMILY photos!!
What an amazing story! How lucky are both of you to have each other.
Thanks for sharing your story!
Thank you for this post Melanie. I haven't ever heard your side of the story before, and it is very touching. The whole situation makes me sad every time I think about it. But Kathryn could not have found a better place to go! You and Milo are doing a great job!
I love your family. Kathryn is such a good little girl and is just so darn cute! I can't believe it has really been three years! You have a BEAUTIFUL family.
I am so glad you can share this with us. Like others said an amazing story. I am so glad she has you and you have her.
melanie, you are such a special person with an obviously very special daughter. what an incredible story. very inspiring. thank you for sharing it. kat is such a beautiful girl...you can see so much life in her. veyr sweet.
wow melanie I had no idea about Kathryn. What an inspiring story. It's beautiful how you welcomed her into your home and that she fits in so perfectly like it WAS meant to be.
That must have been such a huge decision to make, even with the Spirit confirming it. It is no small thing to have a baby, so bringing in another child while already having two little kids is huge! You and Milo are amazing people and Kat is so blessed to have a loving and stable family like yours.
Thanks for sharing this story Melanie. I am sure that your family has been so blessed for your generosity and love. For some reason I always love to hear stories like this, whether its adoption or fostering or whatever. I think it's amazing that there are people in the world who choose to parent those children who need it most. I truly believe that Kathryn (like other kids who are adopted/fostered) is meant to be in your home. Maybe some of us who are reading this will one day have the opportunity to bless a child's life like you have.
Wow, Melanie! This was such a touching post. Kat is beyond blessed to have you and Milo as parents. Like everyone else, I think it's so awe inspiring that you felt the Spirit and acted on it, even though it was so hard. Beautiful family!
What abeautiful story Melanie! She is blessed to have you.
I love Kathryn. She reminds me so much of myself as a little girl. I was very affectionate too. Maybe she has just a little bit of me. It's been quite an adjust these last 3 years, but worth it in the end. I'm so thankful to have Kathryn as my sister, but I'm even more grateful to call her my neice!
Your story of Katherine was fantastic. I can't believe it's been 3 years! She is so lucky to have you and Milo as parents. I linked my post to your today. I couldn't help it. I want others to read how amazing Katherine is! Hope you don't mind
Melanie,
I saw your link thru Cynthia. What a wonderful story. She is so lucky to have you and Milo. I too have adopted 2 little boys whom are brothers. I know the trials & tribulations you've gone thru & what a wonderful thing for you to see how much she has grown & how well she has done. Keep up the good work & Good Luck.
Very sweet. And I would be glad for those tom boys tendencies. Hopefully as she gets older, she'll still want to play with the boys as friends and not be so boy crazy like most girls :). She is a very cute little girl.
That must have been so hard to have a new child enter the family when you had a 7-month old! And a child who was the oldest as well. 3 children under 3 would put any woman on my watch list.
You and your family are wonderful to take her in, and I know you feel at least as blessed to have her in your family as she is to be a part of it. A beautiful story.
Post a Comment