Friday, May 18, 2007

Day at the Dairy

I have an uncle that had a dairy the whole time I was growing up (he recently got rid of all his cows and no longer farms) and so I have seen the workings of a dairy many times. I was always so scared of the cows. But not these kids, they were all over the place exploring.

Nathan's preschool was trekking out to the dairy this week and I was a driver. I checked Kathryn out of school early so she could go too. They took them into the barn when the cows were getting milked. They loved it and were not bothered by the smell at all.

Dane needed his hat, he kept telling me that the sun was just too bright!

No surprise here that Kat was the one to let 4 different calves suck on her fingers. I HATED that when I was little. My older cousin used to make me do it. I'm sure I cried and threw a fit over it. It is so slimy and gross.

Dane was getting really close to getting his fingers slimed. The little calves, the big mommas, the smell, the hay, the milk, and the farmers. I remembered being on the dairy. And this time it was actually fun to have the kids there.

8 comments:

Price Cream Parlor said...

Must be farmweek or something for preschool! Kelly's little had that as well!
Fun photos! Slimmy fingers and all!

donna said...

How fun!!!! I have a hard time going to a dairy farm. The smell makes me sick. On my mission my comp and I work at a dairy farm for the day Oh my!!!

Anonymous said...

Looked like fun...well kinda. I love little field trips. I have tons of pictures from Mack's, but I didn't blog then. Next year!

Amy said...

Until this past spring my Inlaws owned a working dairy. They still live on the land, but they no longer have cows and they rent their acreage to another farmer in the area. I could never understand how Kaitlin loved it so much. It's stinky, dirty, and just really disgusting! Yet I was still sad when they sold the cows! My best memory of the dairy was that it gave Kaitlin a way to describe things that really smell bad. When she was younger every bad smell smelled like cows!

carlo said...

wow-- we are in the hazy days of sports and fieldtrips, aren't we?

soccer and softball are up and running and 2 final fieldtrips for ellie were this week and last week,

cass still has 2 left...no dairy farms on ours though. :)

Brianne said...

I hate the smell of dairies. Tom said his mom likes the smell. It looks like the kids enjoyed it. Jayni's just like Kat with animals. I hate that. I like animals, I just don't want any.

Your kids are so cute! Can't wait to see you all!!

Robyn said...

That part about the calves sucking the fingers... Gross! That would NOT be me, for sure. That's great that she is so adventurous.

Jill said...

I would be much more inclined to like animals if they didn't smell so much. It's cute that the kids were fearless and that Kathryn got so into it.