Monday, May 21, 2007

Father and Sons Success (Sort Of)

{View from their campsite, gorgeous!}

Milo and the boys along with Milo's stepdad Mike, set off for the father and sons campout Friday morning. I was worried because Dane had thrown up just Thursday night but no one wanted to break his heart so with a prayer and some faith they took off. I think the men might have been as excited as the boys!

Milo found headlights for them and of course they thought they were very cool. On Friday night they hiked around the campgrounds and set up camp. The facility (owned by the church) is really nice and we have no trees to speak of around here so I love the look of the 'forest'. I was over protective and kept reminding Milo to have the boys chew their food really good and to not eat too much. I was so worried about Dane throwing up.

{Notice the dirty faces, I have lots of dirty face photos too}

They went fishing (no photos of that) and had a blast. Nathan loves to fish and this was Dane's first time. Nathan said the fish weren't biting but Dane caught a big seaweed. They were so excited to tell me all about it. I love their happiness in even getting seaweed. Such sweet ages they are.

Sat morning I called as soon as I woke up (I got to sleep in!! Yeah for me!!) and right away asked how Dane was. Milo said in a voice that gave me concern, 'Dane didn't throw up... It was Nathan!' I was totally floored, I didn't think he was sick at all! He was scrunched down in the sleeping bag and I'll spare you anymore of the details. Lets just say Milo didn't get any sleep (there were no more incidences he was just listening for one the rest of the night) and they were all tired the next morning! The stake had planned a BBQ for 1 pm but our crew was headed home by 11 am! They were tired, dirty, cold and sick. They stopped for slurpees on the way home, took the long way home with a scenic drive and took LONG naps when they got home.

I'm so glad my boys have a fun dad and grandpop that were so willing to take time off work and go camping with them. Not many men were there with kids this young (only 4 to be exact) and I'm proud of them for going and surviving a crazy night.

And when you send the camera with dad, these are the kind of photos that you get when they return. Hope no one is offended! (He's only 3 1/2 so it can't be totally offensive yet, right?) I just love that he is using his headlight for this important task. Funny little boy!

19 comments:

Anna said...

This post is so sweet. Milo is such a trooper Dad. Dane peeing is to much, it made the whole post! Soon Dallin will go with Kurt and I will worry the whole time!

Barb said...

When I send a camera to Fathers and Sons camp, I don't usually get any pictures!

Anonymous said...

You gotta love Fathers and Sons, don't you? The headlights were a stroke of genius! After seeing Jill's post with hers I've gotten them as gifts and I think they're great...I never knew they had so many uses until I saw Dane's picture!

I just realized after seeing your post that I used to be frustrated with our dirty face camping pictures until I saw Nathan and Dane. Then I thought, "Wait a minute...that's how it should look!" Thank heavens, now I'll look at our pictures and like them better.

michelle said...

Wow! I have to say I am impressed that Milo took pictures! I know some dads tend to forget about that part!

jenny said...

I am impressed Milo took so many photos for you. I was super bummed our camera was broken when Doug took our boys.

Sorry to hear Nathan was ill on the trip. Yuck is right! I hope they are feeling better.

donna said...

What a wonderful post! Father and sons campouts are the best. Oh I love the headlights. I will have to get some for my boys for the father and sons campout.

The last picture is the best. My Ian does that in the back yard all the time. It drives me crazy!

Price Cream Parlor said...

I love that there were photos taken at this camp out! I will have to remember to send one next time!
LOVE the headlight idea!

Matt said...

So whre did Milo get the headlights? That would have been so much fun for Ty. My favorite photo is the last one! So cute. Ty also loved his potty tree.

Heather @ Multiple Hats said...

That is the FIRST thing both of my boys would do if they had those headlights! I love it! Great post . . .

Anonymous said...

Looks like a had a fun first night...well sorta. The picture of Dane is hilarious. Milo did a good job with the pics...I'm impressed!

becca said...

I love the photos, esp the last one! So cute! I hope Nathan is okay and feeling better now. That is so great of Dad and Grandpa to take them, what great memories!

Crystalyn said...

love the last pic! how funny is that! it looks beautiful. hope everyone is feeling better.

Amie said...

Good idea to send the camera! Milo is a trooper for sure, I would have thrown everything in the car and headed home in the middle of the night! I hope you are finally done with this bug and everyone is healthy again!

Anonymous said...

Melanie, that was the cutest post! I was smiling the whole time I was reading it...even during the throwing up story. Bummer that he got sick, but so cute that your hubby was such a good sport about the whole weekend. Love the seaweed catch... I remember how exciting it used to be just to feel the tug of ANYTHING on that fishing pole. And the peeing...well need I say more? :D

Laurie said...

oh man. That is quite an adventure. Poor Milo if the throw up happened in the tent. He is more of a trooper than my husband. He didn't want to take Clayton this year. I made him promise that next year it starts and continues every year after! Great headlight idea.

carlo said...

oh dang-- sickness followed on the camping trip? so sorry.

love this tradition of the F/S camping i am hearing about all over the blogs. Neat.

Christina said...

enjoying the pee shot!! im sad we have no father daughter campouts..

nice of milo to use your camera for blogging purposes!! hahah

Jill said...

I'm so happy to see the boys wearing headlights, they're fantastic!

I can't believe there was more throwing up involved, what is going on with your boys? How unpleasant.

I think the peeing picture is funny, I still can't believe boys can just go anywhere, what would that be like?

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm love tocum in his asspussy