Thursday, May 24, 2007

Pizza and Firemen

I feel like I have been posting over and over about the kids. Sadly I haven't been involved in much else lately so go ahead and skip another kid post. I need a blogger meeting or a fun lunch planned. Something NOT kid related. Do you ever feel like that?

Yesterday I spent 3 hours with Kathryn and 19 other kindergarten kids (riding a school bus no less). Our first stop was Domino's Pizza. The kids were given a tour and then had to wash their hands and stay like this until it was their turn to make a pizza. The had the boys go first because can you imagine 12 boys waiting the longest and not toughing anything so as to keep it all sanitary? Yeah, me neither. Kat was funny and said this was the hardest thing of the day. I'm guessing her arm muscles are weak?

Each kid got to make 1/2 of a small pizza any way they wanted, picking and using any toppings they wanted. I thought that was so generous of Domino's. And brave to have them all over the kitchen. Kathryn LOADED her pizza with pineapple and a few other random toppings. The girl beside her could not decide what she wanted. I ended up just throwing a few on for her so we could move on.

Our next stop was the fire department. We had the best fireman as a tour guide. He was totally into which helped keep the kids attention. The teacher said the day before that they had a dud and the kids were bored. I was glad to hit it on a good day.
I love their gear. This guy put it all on, oxygen mask included. He was talking to them through a speaker and asked if they knew who Darth Vader was. They answered yes and he was impressed (I guess the kids earlier had no clue). He talked to the kids about not being scared of their gear if they ever saw a firefighter during a fire or rescue. At one point he asked what number you call in case of emergencies and Kathryn yelled out really loud, 9-9-1. It was so funny because he said, you're close but have your mom remind you it's 9-1-1. I was like...Yeah, that's mine.

Then we went outside and they showed us the huge truck with the big ladder. I know this isn't a huge shock but man those guys have no fear. The ladder was swaying as he was climbing and you would NEVER see me just shimming up some skinny ladder like that. I'm glad we have men and women who will though!
They had the truck hooked up to a fire hydrant and started to spray the parking lot. It was a bit breezy so we got a little wet, the kids were loving it. Me not so much, I didn't want my camera wet!

They spun the ladder all the way around and raised it up all the way too. I must say I was just as impressed as the 5 and 6 year olds on the trip.

I made Kathryn sit by me on the way back to the school (she wasn't happy about it). She wanted to sit by her friends and I wanted a self portrait of the two of us. Once I started snapping photos she was fine, she liked it too. I decided that school buses are gross, who knows how long it's been since those seats were wiped with something like a Clorox wipe. I wanted some in my purse but feared they would totally sick me out. I was so glad for the fresh air once we stepped outside.

We went back to her class and they got to each to their hearts content. It was 4 big slices per kid. Some of the kids finished all 4 pieces and I kept thinking, did you eat this morning? That's a lot of pizza by 11 am. Kathryn's was so soggy because of all the pineapple (thank goodness they made a couple pizzas for the teachers and helpers, it was good). She loved it though and managed to eat 2 of the 4. She tried to bring the other 2 home but they were way to soggy and ended up in the trash.

The teacher casually asked me to go on the last field trip of the year. They are going to the pool! I stammered when she asked me and so I might have to end up on that field trip too. Oh well, I know the boys would like that one and they could go with so we'll just have to see.

I have been really slack on some good mail too and it isn't because I haven't thought about it. Natasha,Donna and Carlo have sent lovelies to my mailbox, brightening my day each time. Thanks Ladies, I LOVED all of it!

19 comments:

donna said...

K, I am so ready for a fun lunch. We need to get together with the Washington bloggers for lunch :)


What a fun day you had. Kathryn is so cute. My Miss Emily has that same cherry shirt.
Have a wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

I love it...looks like it was loads of fun! When Malcolm was in preschool I tried to go on every fieldtrip, I just think little kids are so fun. (Plus they let me take Quinn!)

Since working for 911 Dispatch I totally love emergency responders. My favorite "ride alongs" was with the fire dept. They started the training building on fire and they dressed me all up. I went in between to awesome firefighters and they let me spray some of the fire. It was so hot...but so incredibly fun. If I didn't have kids I would volunteer at a fire dept in a heartbeat!!

becca said...

What a FUN field trip!! I feel like all my posts are about my kids too, but there is little else going on in my life right now (and I like it that way!:)

So nice of you to go on field trips.....I would love to go the fire station, it is amazing what they do!

everything pink! said...

lunch? when and where. i'll catch a plane.

your highlights look awesome, so different than your profile photo.
cool field trip.

everything pink! said...

thanks for my mother's day mail by the way. i am posting tomorrow or hopefully this weekend to show off your creativity.

i cut caroline's hair again, i am getting better, but still wish i had you for a back up!

Anonymous said...

Melanie, I love your kids posts. Keep them coming. I love the picture of the hands in the air and Kats choice of pizza topping and the step by step of the fireman.

I love your posts.

Elizabeth said...

I got to go on one field trip this year. It was so fun but I would have to agree about the buses and I am still upset that their are still no seatbelts after all these years. Your photo together is too cute.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I remember my mom coming on the field trips- I thought she was sooooo cool. The pizza thing is pretty awesome and I am glad you got a good tour guy for the fire station.

I might be visiting my sister is Seattle this September- how I wish you lived close to her! A blogger lunch sounds so nice.

Anna said...

Love the title,"Pizza and Fireman". Sounds like my kind of dream date! I have so many good memories of my mom going on field trips with me. I know its hard to go but so worth it. What a lucky girl!

Diana said...

Sounds like a great field trip. Your a great mom to go, i remember my mom going with me still So I bet your kids will remember it too.
991 that's so funny.
I love reading about your kids :)

Melinda said...

THat was really nice of Dominos. What a fun feild trip but not to sit on the bus. THose things are really gross.

Christina said...

im laughing at the clorox wipe on the school bus! those things are nasty!

i was impressed with the fire man on top there!! thats a field trip i enjoy participating in..but not for the kids..more for my own pleasure (wink wink)

michelle said...

I feel the same way quite often. It is so nice to get a break with friends. We had a bloggers get together last Sat. It really was a fun time. The neat thing about it is we all knew so much about one another already, from reading blogs! What cute pictures of the firld trip!

jenny said...

That fireman outing looks way cooler than our visits to the FD. How cool they showed the kids the ladder and spraying out of the hose.

I LOVE that self portrait of you and Kathryn--you need to frame it. And I would love to hook up for a blogger lunch. Are you coming to San Antonio anytime soon?? Chuy's is ALWAYS open :)

Rachel said...

Wow you've had a lot of fun things going on with your family! Very cute pictures! I love that one on the previous post of your little guy peeing! I laughed out loud...so funny! I'm very impressed with the fire house field trip...water spraying from the trucks and all? Very impressive!
bytheway, my kids are all I post about. Hmmm... maybe I need a hobby! ;)

Laurie said...

I relate to feeling like life is all about the kids. That's o.k. I don't think it's boring to read.

I also totally relate to wanting a Clorox wipe on such excursions. Ugh. I use them a lot in my own home not to mention how much I would want one on a public bus! Sometimes I think - I sure made it a lot of years not being as worried about germs as I am as a mom. Maybe I need to lighten up. I don't think that's gonna happen though.

carlo said...

oh the school field trips...i always end up going, too.

i want a blogger lunch, too! come to dc in october! please???

amy gretchen said...

looks like quite the field trip. A visit to make pizzas at dominos and then to the FD, any kid would have loved that, it seems they're so interested in fireman.

annalisa said...

A double field trip? That's cool. Alexis is on her field trip day today and I skipped it mostly so she'd be off on her own and be ok, but I a little I wish I'd gone.
So did you get to pick out what when on your pizza? That would be sweet, especially since I hate pepperoni. And that ladder, uh scary. I would have been nervous watching them up there and just as impressed as the littles too. At least you don't get charged when your daughter calls 991 for fun right?