Yesterday we opted out of going swimming (well I did at least) because the kids were not getting along all morning and I was fighting for every single bit of cooperation. After they made it through their chores I took them to the library. Even that proved to be difficult. At one point all of them were yelling in there and I was getting some disapproving looks from an old lady. Geesh, sometimes you just can't win!
In the afternoon the kids talked me into letting them ride bikes. We ride bikes at Milo's mom's house because she has better sidewalks and lives on a cul-de-sac street. I set up a chair in the garage and watched them ride away. Nathan loves to ride his bike and just recently started telling me he was all about learning 'tricks'. I have tried telling him I am not the one to inform about his 'tricks' but he is just so dang proud of himself. I sat there and watched him crash, it was awful! Usually he shakes it off but this time he sat there screaming. I ran to him thinking it wasn't that bad.
I took him inside and started cleaning him up and then I saw his chin. I stayed calm while he freaked out. I was pretty sure he would need some sort of stitches, it was so deep. Is it sick and wrong to wish I had my camera before he went to the doctor? You know, just to document it all.

Luckily he didn't need stitches. They just used some butterfly bandages to keep the skin closed. There was a chunk of skin missing so there wasn't enough to stitch. He was so funny on the way to the office, he kept saying, 'Oh, I am so scared. This is just scary. I hope I can be brave.' It was priceless. He was really brave and didn't cry at all. Thank heavens there were no needles and stitches.

He roughed himself up pretty good. Both elbows, a hand, his chin and the inside of one cheek. He told me his chompers bit his mouth. He is such a funny boy. He can even act cheesy and silly when he is hurt all over the place.

He wanted to call both of our moms and fill them in on the happenings of the night. By the time he talked to them, he was all animated and loud. Not acting hurt at all. In fact by that point it was me that was losing it. I kept it together in the office but after that I was worried about the scar and how it will heal. Silly I know. When I calmed down I realized how watched over he was, no missing or broken teeth, no serious injuries. Thank heavens!
I'm sure this wont be my last quick trip to a walk in clinic. Am I going to survive the raising of boys?
18 comments:
I'm with you on taking the picture before the doctors. I really wish we would have taken of picture of Quinn's forehead before they glued it. But really, you don't think about it during, just after. I freaked out too...I'm sure it's normal. And I thought after dispatching 911 I would have it all together, think again when it's your own child!!
oh my goodness, how painful! surprisingly, no stitches at our house...yet :)
OH my! That looks like it really does hurt. POOR KID. Wow that is great that he didn’t need any stitches.
Boys stitches are much easier to survive than your daughter not coming home from at date on time!!!! Tell Nathan I like his bumps and bruises, and cuts and scrapes!!! But NO more........ GMa Dee Ann
Pretty cute comment from Gma. I am glad to be reading about these kinds of incidents so that when the time comes for us I'll be calm, cool, and collected!
Totally loving his monologue in the car! What a brave little guy... good thing you're feeling better, just in time to deal with this little crisis!
seriously boys scare me!!! i bet he feels WAY cool now to have real battle wounds!! he'd be a rockstar at school!!
Having gone through two boys, both grown, I can tell you, this is just the beginning. I think all little boys end up with at least one scar on their chin. You did good though, not freaking out until you got home! You're so brave! Nathan should be proud of his scars! He earned them!
Oh Melanie! I can't even imagine! So far I am raising two very chicken girls, my five year old still won't even ride a bike with training wheels...I am begining to think that isn't such a bad thing! I hope he isn't in too much pain tomorrow!! And good for you for being calm, I am not sure how I will be in such a situation!
My Dally better not attempt any of these stunts. Nate doesnt seen to care to much about the pain.
Wow, I am surprised they didn't give him stitches or at least glue. We've had glue for an under the chin split open on one of my girls. Barely a scar. But, on boys, I think it just comes with the territory! Battle wounds. I'm sure he'll be proud of it his whole life!
Ew, his chin looks nasty. I'm surprised he didn't need stitches. He keeps you on your toes eh?
OUCH! Poor guy - glue is great - stitches are no fun - we had one once on a lip! That was hard!
Poor little guy. I am glad he was so brave for you.
oh my goodness look at that proud face and flexing muscles...wow how cute and scary...taht finally you are watching and then this happens...i don't know if i would remain cool and collected, but about the photo, that is funny...i don't know if i would have thought of that.
Yikes! Looks familiar, though. We love to document all of our boys cuts and split opens...we tell them the black eye makes them look tough. Thank goodness for butterfly tape, huh? I was so happy when my one year old (he's three now) was able to be super glued back together, rather than stitched!
Doug was kinda upset with me when I took a bloody photo of Luke in the ER, but I look back and get a good chuckle from it.
That looks like it hurts. I get so woozy anymore over things like that. I am sure I will be right with you on injuries, my boys are wild!
Blogging has changed my picture taking even if I don't post them all. I am taking pictures of all kinds of things I wouldn't have otherwise. I hope Nathan's healing nicely, and good luck with Dane tomorrow. It's my Carmen that is having a hard time with Sundays lately.
Post a Comment