Monday, July 23, 2007

I Can Do Hard Things & the Usual Updates

This past week out stake took the youth on a trek. I was not involved at all because I am not in YW right now but it was the focus of our sacrament meeting yesterday and the youth did such a great job. One girl's talk was focused on how her 'family' was made up of only 5 'kids' (strong teenagers) instead of the 8 most families had. Each person on the trek, Ma and Pa included, was given a name of a real pioneer to research and learn more about. The YW talking yesterday talked about the person her 'Ma' had to research. It was a mother of 3 that traveled with her husband and their 3 kids across the plains without help pushing and pulling their handcart. The ages of their kids were 7, 3, and 1. It made these 5 teenagers really think how did this family make it with their kids so young? They were older, younger and stronger and they wanted to just give up and it was only 14.5 miles over a 2 day period.

She referred to this talk and what Sister Susan Tanner talked about. It is such a good fireside that was given on New Year's Eve last year. She said to live by the motto 'I can do hard things.' And this YW kept telling herself that when she wanted to give up pushing/pulling her families cart. She tried to remember that this was a hard thing but it would end. Just like most hard things in our lives. They have a season and when they 'end' we are stronger for them.

It really struck me. I want to live by that motto too, 'I can do hard things.' Because when I look at my life I have done hard things (no harder than anyone else, just hard for me), I am doing hard things (is raising kids ever easy?) and I will still continue to do hard things down the road in my life. I have said before and I mean it every time I say it, I would not have my trials taken away because they make me who I am and while I have much to work on, I love the progress I have made and the potential I have. I hope that doesn't sound cocky because I don't mean it to be. I just mean I have do have daily trials, I struggle with confidence, I need my Father in Heaven and his guidance but WITH him I know I can accomplish what he has in store for me. I love the scripture she uses at the end.

Alma 26:12-
"to let virtue garnish our thoughts unceasingly, that our confidence may wax strong in the presence of God. For we know that ‘in His strength [we] can do all things"

I know this is a day after Sunday but I just loved that the kids actually let me listen in church yesterday. That does not happen every week so sacrament meeting was actually a treat. Thanks kids, I know it might not happen again for a few weeks but one can hope right?



This Saturday we had a baby shower for Milo's youngest sister, Leisha. She is due to have her first baby in October. A girl! I was so excited to make something for a girl, I decided to take on a quilt project. OK quilting girls, no critiquing. I learned a lot and next time I think I'll keep my first project. I noticed way too many mistakes but since it was a labor of love, I gave it to her anyway. Can't wait to see a little baby stuffed inside of it.

Milo and I are Harry fans and have both been excited to read #7. I am horrible at remembering what happened in the previous book but usually don't reread the last one before the new one comes out. I just annoy Milo over and over asking what happened, who was/is who and if I'm getting to a scary part (I like to stop reading when it ISN'T scary). I was in need of a book last week so on Thurs I started Book 6 again. I could not put it down and true to form, I didn't remember much of what was in it so I'm glad I chose to read it again. The end was making my heart beat fast!

{Our dark self portrait we were laughing so hard over. Milo cannot take a natural looking picture when he is under pressure. Don't his eyes look scary?}

When Amazon showed up with Book 7 I was already on page 430 and Milo was just starting. So we once again start the sharing of a book we both want to read. I'm reading while he is at work and don't think it will be long before I pass him up!

We are getting ready for Milo's family reunion this week. They camp for 5 days (Wed-Sun)! I'm not a hater of camping but I wouldn't call myself a lover of it either. My theory is to leave before you hate yourself for going. The kids and I aren't heading up there until Thursday so I don't get worn out of the great outdoors. Milo can't come until Fri after a 1/2 day of work so we'll be flying solo and asking for help with the tent set up and any other 'camping' skills that I don't do. The kids love to camp. I'm sure it is the food (aka junk), the staying up late, the fishing, the family time and getting FILTHY! Good reasons.

Onto cooking and laundry!

11 comments:

becca said...

Our stake did a trek last year and the sacrament meeting after it was one of the best we have ever had. It makes me feel guilty for EVER complaining about the things I don't like to do...I cannot imagine being a pioneer, I don't think I possess the strength to do it, but I am sure thankful they did. It is always good to remember and I think it has such a GREAT impact on the youth to experience it!!

I can't believe you are going camping...you are brave (I hope you are feeling much better now??)!!

Holly said...

I can't even comprehend what those pioneers had to go through - HF definitely gives us what we can handle

Love my Harry Potter! Luckily or not my husband isn't into them, so I get HP just to myself! Can't wait to hear what more people think - I think everything is wrapped up nicely! But I want more!

Anonymous said...

Your quilt turned out SO cute! I love it.

I loved your Sunday thoughts. I know I was born in this time because while I can do some hard things, I can't do those hard things.

I hope you continue to feel better and that you have fun at the family reunion!

Elizabeth said...

That is good advice for me. Sometimes I get overwhelmed and I have to talk myself through it. Saying this is really not that hard and it won't last forever.

Robyn said...

Congrats on your quilt. You did a good job. No one sees those little mistakes anyway and I am sure she loved it! I have made a few myself and I find the learning curve is quite good- it only takes one or two projects to figure out what you need to do better next time.

Good luck on the camping. I like it but 5 days might kill me. I think 2-3 is perfect.

michelle said...

I can do hard things. That is such a good motto! I'm going to remember it. (Do you think my saying that will help me to do it?)

I have to wait for Max to finish Harry Potter, and he doesn't seem to be in too much of a hurry!

jenny said...

You guys are too cute. I am wishing I did that same thing and reread it. I am constantly asking Doug questions. Lucky he has been patient and answered them.

Your quilt turned out awesome!! Good job. And you won't ever get a critique from me....mine have TONS of flaws.

Happy reading :) ANd Good luck with the reunion festivities.

Laurie said...

I love the "I can do hard things" statement. I've been needing to hear that (even though I'm not currently going through hard things - just anticipating them).

Sure think your quilt is darling! I haven't seen a little baby quilt with the little squares before. Cute!

Good luck with camping. Oh, and enjoy Harry Potter. I'm reading too, and I totally forget about the previous book. I love that you guys read together.

Anna said...

Your blanket was awesome. Im sure Leishas baby will love it. I need to remember the hard thing saying like everyday! Love ya!

Barb said...

I loved that talk from Sister Tanner and how at the end she took it to a new level with "I can do all things". That was powerful.
Seriously, I wish my husband shared a love for Harry Potter with the kids and I, or maybe I don't - that would be one more person to share the book with! Cute photo of the 2 of you together. I can't get over the things we bloggers document that would be unrecorded and forgotten if it weren't for our blogs. This was one of those posts.

Unknown said...

I love the picture of you and Milo reading together. His expression is so... well.... Milo. Joey and I love Harry, and we don't think that he's the devil. Love your quilt too.