Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Happy Birthday MOM!!!

{She's the darling little blonde on the right. I love this photo of her}

Today is my mom's birthday. Growing up I always thought she had a cool birthday since it was the day before the 4th of July. I guess her birthday could be considered a party before the big party of fireworks and food. Also, by making a list I'm divulging her age but really she looks great and so don't hate me for the numbered list mom!

1. My mom is the third child and third girl in a family of 6 (she has 3 younger brothers)
2. She was born in Brigham City, UT
3. She lived without running water for a little while as a kid (and didn't like it)
4. She HATES, I mean, HATES getting her hair wet after it is styled.
5. She'll hold a grudge over it too. She means NO water on her hair.
6. Her biggest accomplishment is definitely her kids (she says that not just me)
7. Her second biggest is her grandkids (third, definitely her education)
8. She teaches her grandkids to head butt when they're little and we as parents don't really like it =)
9. She was a hairdresser for a long time and wasn't sure if she wanted me to pursue it
10. When she realized the long hours that job required she went back to school for an education. She was single with 2 kids and plowed ahead anyway
11. She graduated college with a teaching degree when I was in the 5th grade
12. She took a major leap of faith and for a job with security and benefits moved us to Las Vegas
13. She has taught 3rd and 5th grade (her favorite)
14. Now she oversees computer labs and plays solitaire a lot =)
15. She lived in Hawaii for a little while
16. She LOVES books and can read for HOURS!
17. She always said...'One more chapter' when we were little and we knew it meant more like 3 (at least!)
18. She is a great cook
19. Her clam chowder is requested every time she visits
20. She used to conduct classical music when she was driving (Kyle and I would hide in our seats)
21. And sing opera all the time when she was just trying to tell us to take out the garbage
22. She loves all things chocolate especially in the form of See's

23. Here she is at her senior prom. This photo gave her many laughs when she found it.
24. She was a big dater in HS. (At least to me since I wasn't, she's always saying 'he's an old boyfriend', ha!)
25. I laughed my head off when I heard she snuck out her window to meet up with friends
26. She is funny and likes to tell jokes
27. At her 30 yr HS class reunion people were bragging too much so she stood up and said she was a topless dancer in Vegas. She got the laughs on that one
28. She is not a risk taker
29. She has always, always said nice things about my dad and has never swayed my opinion of him
30. She only has a few more years before retiring and we want her closer!
31. She loves musicals and passed that on to me, Kyle... not so much
32. Barbara Streisand, Neil Diamond and The Carpenter's were records that she listened to a lot
33. She can fix my computer and clean up all the junk (above my skill level), thank heavens!
34. She is very generous and giving
35. She has enough shoes to fill 3 closets full (on the floor and hanging on the door)! Once she gave away over 50 pairs that she didn't like anymore! I disgrace her in this area and when she visits I always have a new pair of shoes.
36. She had TONS more style that me (not to mention closets of clothes too)
37. She is frequently appalled that I don't iron as much as her
38. She was happy and smiled the year we gave her an iron for Christmas. (I would have frowned)
39. She gave me the genes for her baby fine, straight hair (we both hate it)
40. She hated her buck teeth growing up and paid for her braces when she was out of high school and working
41. She is not an overly emotional person (and I sometimes drive her nuts)
42. She's full of good advice that she doesn't always listen to herself (aren't we all?)
43. Since having her new job, she is techno advanced and has all the latest gadgets and computers
44. When we were little she couldn't even set the VCR timer so this new knowledge of hers is hilarious to me
45. She always has some signature quote at the end of her emails
46. We get along much better as adults (I was a teenager with a rotten attitude)
47. She almost named me Christy but when I was born I didn't 'look' like one
48. She still has a best friend from the 2nd grade
49. And she can still make her friend wet her pants from laughing so hard (she loves this!)
50. She has the hardest time sleeping
51. I could tell many stories about her sleeping habits but I still want her to talk to me after reading this post
52. She taught me the value of hard work
53. She has always worked and provided for her family (with little complaining)
54. She has a strong testimony of the gospel
55. And has sacrificed so much for her kids (thanks for that mom)
56. She taught me the fine art of 'brown nosing' in an appropriate manner (you know, the kind that gets you ahead, not makes you annoying)

57. She hates when I try to take self portraits with her in them. She says I make my head small and hers huge. I like this photo, not sure if she does. I doubt it since we were rained on earlier in the day. See # 4 for the explanation
58. She made me sleep in curlers on Christmas Eve so my hair would look cute in the photos of Christmas morning (I'm not too scarred from it, I'll post one sometime)

59. Her grandkids can melt her heart in one second (maybe faster). Especially when they're Kate's age
60. She is my best friend and thankfully she answers my calls when she is working and I'm drowning in children. She frequently calms me down
61. She is THE best mom that I could ever have. Trials and all, I have no idea what I would do without her. I hope you have a great birthday, I love you mom!!

Happy Birthday Mom!!

12 comments:

Kristen said...

Such a sweet post! Your Mom is an amazing Woman. The pictures were great! You two look a lot alike!
(lots of birthdays this time of year it seems....so fun)!

Anonymous said...

My favorite was the topless dancer in Vegas. She sounds very witty :)

donna said...

What a wonderful post for your mom!


What a great mom you have :)

Anonymous said...

Great tribute. I love how much you know about her and how you can tell that you two are really good friends. Good Grandma's at the best- especially when it is your mom doing the good Grandma-ing and you can take notes.

Holly said...

Oh my gosh what great pictures of your mom! And such great things to say - Happy Birthday!

Melinda said...

THat is a really sweet post about your mom and I loved all the little stuff about her. THe topless dancer is priceless. Gotta love it.

michelle said...

My mom puts me to shame in the style department as well, and has closets of clothes and shoes! And she is also appalled at how little I iron (though she doesn't really say anything). I love that she has acquired lots of new technical knowledge and that she indulges you with the self-portraits!

jenny said...

You pulled out so many fun photos. I hope she had a fabulous birthday!

Anna said...

Love the topless dancer. Your mom is a character.

Amie said...

I was surprised how much I liked reading this. You did a great job and covered so much. She sounds really great. (Will she ever be able to live with you with the hair/rain situation?

Amie said...

I meant near you not with you....

jenn said...

What an amazing list, great photos and cute mom! Happy Birthday to your mom!