Now that Milo is home and comes with us, I usually end up getting teased at some point. He thinks it is so funny that I thought these donkeys might be mules or that I think something else crazy about farms. He is a farm boy and I am definitely not a farm girl. So I'm along for the entertainment and now he's along for the chauffeuring. It works perfect now.
Sunday, August 12, 2007
Our Sunday Drives
When Milo was working his crazy shifts these last 6 years I was left to spend many Sundays alone. I'm not whining they just got really, really long and very boring. If the weather was good (it usually was) I started taking the kids for 'drives'. Most people spend their Sunday drive actually going somewhere. Not us. We had a plan (the kids and I) and it was to find as many different animals on our trip that we could. We were never gone long, just long enough to help with their driving me crazy in the afternoon.
One way I found to drive included so many animals. We would come home seeing cows and horses (of course), pigs, goats, sheep, chickens and llamas. I love llamas for some reason so this was my favored route. Plus it's closest to home. This drive is just long enough to distract the kids. And the effects of the drive usually last the rest of Sunday. Perfect!
The first Sunday my mom was here we decided on an animal drive. The route we took with my mom includes cows, hundreds of horses (some huge horse farm, I'm hoping not a dog food factory), big bulls (they were fighting and moody that day so that was fun. I have no idea why I don't have a photo of it), chickens and a herd of donkeys. I love donkeys too. They crack me up. They follow our van and eventually start braying (is that what it's called?) at us. The kids eat it up.
Now that Milo is home and comes with us, I usually end up getting teased at some point. He thinks it is so funny that I thought these donkeys might be mules or that I think something else crazy about farms. He is a farm boy and I am definitely not a farm girl. So I'm along for the entertainment and now he's along for the chauffeuring. It works perfect now.
Now that Milo is home and comes with us, I usually end up getting teased at some point. He thinks it is so funny that I thought these donkeys might be mules or that I think something else crazy about farms. He is a farm boy and I am definitely not a farm girl. So I'm along for the entertainment and now he's along for the chauffeuring. It works perfect now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I LOVE this Melanie! We used to go on Sunday drives all the time to break up the day and I love them. I'm so glad you posted this and helped me to remember them.
This sounds wonderful! The last two times I tried to take my kids on Sunday drives Alex threw up and Kaitlin cried the entire way. Not to idyllic. But, if I got animals involved. . .I just may attempt it once again.
Sunday drives are a great idea if your Sunday is too long and you're going solo as a parent. With our late church schedule (2-5) our Sunday go quickly and I like it.
Anyway, your route looks lovely. I love driving by farm lands and horses.
Post a Comment