The first wear em out day was on Friday, we had a small reunion of sorts when we got together with ALL 14 siblings on Milo's dad's side. It had been almost 3 1/2 yrs (in my calculations anyway) since all of them had been together and it was fun to pull it off (remember most of the thanks goes to
Shaila for getting it started). We went to the pool during the day (no photos from there) and from there we ended up at a park just out of town.

Dane was so, so tired. I took this on the way out to the park when we were stopped at a stop light. He was just begging to go to sleep. The next time I looked back I found him like this...

Crashed out! I left the car running (it was right next to where we were) and he took a good 30 minute nap. Which he totally needed. He is one of those kids that when too much is going on he will not eat. So I'm estimating here but I'm sure he burned off 5,000 calories while only consuming 500. Too bad my body doesn't work that way. I'm just not that active, ha!
{a little blurry but in all the other ones someone is 'acting' out, =)}
It wasn't easy getting all 14 people to look at the camera and look at it normally! We did it last thing of the night so everyone was tired and silly. Most of them are like that anyway so it was a double challenge. The big kids (aka MILO) were just as non cooperative as the little kids. But hey, at least there is a photo to document they were actually together right?! It's so confusing to explain the hows and whats of the sibling arrangements in this family so just trust me (and don't ask), Milo was raised with most of these guys.

The brothers.

The sisters.
We left the park after dark, it got dark so fast I was hoping we weren't leaving anyone or anything behind. It was such a long day but worth it in the end. I crashed when we came home.

Today I made the trek to my grandma's house (an hour away) to pick peaches from the orchard behind her house. I guess you could call it our second wear em out day in the last 4 days. It went so fast I can't believe we picked 5 big, full boxes. Many thanks goes out to my aunt and to Nathan (he actually learned which ones were ripe and only picked a couple rock hard ones). No thanks to Kathryn (she was playing with the dog and picking dandelions) or Dane (he ran through the sprinklers and jumped on the trampoline) but I'm glad they had a good time. We were back home in 4 hours and that is saying quite a bit since 2 of those hours were spent in the car. It's hard to visit my grandma (she's 83 and lonely) because she wants all day visitors and that is hard in her town (very small) and house (nothing to do). I was dying of heat in there (she thinks her house is cool at 78^!) and couldn't wait to leave. It sounds rude, I know. I'm blaming the raging pregnancy hormones for all the sweating. I started my van early to cool it off so I could drive home without the heat! Glad that's over. I'm not totally crazy. Only 2 boxes are for me. The other 3 I'm sharing. I couldn't possibly can that many and stay sane the first week of school. I'm pushing my luck with 2. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tonight was meet your teacher night for the kindergarten kids. In the first 5 minutes I could tell without a doubt Nathan had a better teacher than Kat did all last year. I'm so happy about that. Our school started every day all day kinder and for Nathan I think it's great. He is old and had to wait (his bday is Nov 6th) and he is beyond ready. I wanted this program, requested it and in the last couple weeks have been really dreading it. I'm happy he is ready but I'm so nervous to send him away from home all day! I question myself and if I've done enough to prepare him to be away from me (I think I have). With Kat in just half day last year I felt like she still came home and ate lunch with us and spent the afternoon playing so I still 'had' her. I hope it only takes a couple weeks to get used to it. For me, not him, I'm sure it will only take him a couple days he is so excited! (Am I the only one with these irrational fears, it is the pregnancy hormones or is this a totally normal I'm sending my kid away for 8 hours fear?) Just tell me it is OK?
We have Kathryn's back to school (grades 1-5) tomorrow and her teacher comes with great reviews (she sent Kat a darling letter and sounds so happy to be a teacher). We start school Wednesday so life as we know is will be officially over. Or starting which ever way you look at it.
So far I see it both ways. Bad for the mornings, perfect for errand running with just Dane!
13 comments:
Sooooo...here it is almost 2am (long day with the kids and need some time for myself... I'll be paying for it when they wake up in the morning!) and I'm just finishing updating myself on all your posts! I haven't read your blog since the end of May when I left England although it doesn't seem like that long. I haven't stayed updated with anyone else's either. So now I'm updated with your's and Shaila's.
Will you & Dane be making trips to Tri-Cities while the kids are in school? If so...let me know! Are you coming in the next few days by chance? I have a b-day gift for Dane and if you're in town I'll just give it to you. If not I'll just mail it.
It's nice to see the pictures from the picnic but I hate the ones I'm in, of course! It was so nice catching up with everyone again. Can you email me your address, phone #s, birthdays of you, Milo and the kids and email addresses so that I can put it into the sibling directory. I'm pretty sure I know all info but I don't want to get anything wrong.
Sorry for the long comment. I should just email you instead but at this point I'm way too tired and I'm ready to hit the hay!! Love ya!!!
First of all, those peaches look AMAZING. I wish I could have a box of those right now. We don't really get them here and if we do they are outrageously expensive. Enjoy them!
About the school thing, my 6 yr old started all day kindergarten last year and it's fabulous! He's now in 1st grade. Next year, my 4 1/2 year old will start and I can't wait! It makes so much more sense! Why send them for two 1/2 hours? It takes longer to get a child READY than they are actually at school! Ha. I think you will love it and so will he. At first my son was tired but he got used to it quickly. Also the teachers know they are young and give them a lot of 'down time' like reading time in the book corner, etc. I would be counting the moments if I were you! Don't feel guilty!
At least you have the excuse of pregnancy hormones to explain away sweating and potentially irrational fears! Where does that leave the rest of us?
I'm sure all will go well with all-day kindergarten -- I am guessing it will be a bigger adjustment for you than for him -- but you may end up loving it!
The peaches... jealous.
Wow...what a loaded last few days Melanie. You are such a good granddaughter to your grandma.
Good luck with the schoolhood blues, ummmmm....they better not be related to pregnancy.
Those are serious wear em out days! Hope all goes well as school starts, routines change and mom adjusts to one little one at home :)
fun times with ALL the siblings..and i trust they are his family "for reals"!
nice of you to hang with grandma..bonus to come home w/ peaches, peaches and milk..my FAVORITE growing up-my mom SPOILED us and would even PEEL the skin off!! she's so nice...
Oh can you email me Brianne email. I lost it :)
What a fun time you all had :) The pictures are great. Ok i lost your # again. Could you email me. So we can plan out lunch date :)
Woah, you've been busy! I think you need a first day of school nap! Your peaches look amazing. I bought a bunch last year and froze them, and they died in a freezer mishap, which made me so sad. Canning is the answer I suppose, but it scares me!
Hope your kids have a wonderful first day back!
Elise starts school (kindergarten) on Wed too. I don't think she could last all day long. It's hard enough to get her to sit still for 20 minutes while we work on her reading. But if Nathan can, then good for him.
It's so fun to see all those siblings together. I can't believe how grown up tanner and trevor look. Amanda looks great too. I had to take another look to make sure it was her. What's she doing wearing a sweatshirt though? so fun. Have fun canning.
All day kindergarten? Serioulsy I would be all over that. WE held my guy back a yr cause he had a late bday but he is so ready to go and now that he is home in the afternoons he is sooo bored. Now all I hear is when are the other kids getting home?
THose peaches are great. I wish I knew how to can!
THe peaches look so yummy!
I hope your kiddos have a great first day of school. I am sure all day kinder will be fine. Lindsey had all day kinder, but it was just 6 hours. Hailey has half day and is only gone 2 1/2 hours which doesn't seem nearly long enough. But somehow it all works out and they come out having learned what they needed to. I hope you can adjust too. I do know what you mean about sending your child off to school all day, it seems so weird sometimes!
Fun reunion! You have been busy!! I am nervous for Noelle to start kindergarten, but i know she will love it. I am glad you like the teachers so far, what a difference that makes. That is what I am praying for...a GREAT teacher for NOelle!
I loved seeing the pictures with all the siblings. That is awesome that Shaila was able to make that happen. I agree with Maren about Amanda- she does look great! I haven't seen her, or any pictures of her in soo long!
Good luck with school starting!! Oh, and does Brianne's comment mean she is going to start blogging again?!! I still check her blog waiting for something new!! :)
Post a Comment