
Nathan has been bugging me all week to eat lunch with them at the school cafeteria. I kept checking the menu as to when I would be the most brave and yesterday I took the plunge. On the menu- Hamburger w/ whole wheat bun, oven potato fries, birthday cake and chocolate milk. I can honestly report that it wasn't half bad. I'd brave that menu again.
They have a salad bar everyday too. With fruit, veggies and ranch for dipping, salad and fruit cocktail. We never had lunches like that back in the day (yeah, I'm aging myself). Both Nathan and Dane ate a plum and Kat had some fruit cocktail. Way more choices than I give them here at home too. I usually make a pb&j with a few crackers. No wonder they like this school lunch idea. Most days anyway.

I kept trying to take some self portraits but they table was so bouncy with all the kindergarten kids getting up and down none were of much success. All of them are blurry and I debated on posting them but (obviously) decided to go ahead with it. It was our first lunch together, right?

Kathryn was so happy to see us there. Nate's class came in first and from across the gym she saw us and started jumping up and down with excitement (one of her favorite things to do when she's excited. kind of like a puppy)

Dane was ALL over the place. He felt like such a big kid and for the rest of the afternoon talked about the other kids and how he got to eat at their school.

The big kids could not wait to get Dane out on the playground. Nathan held his hand the whole way. I'm not going to lie, I thought they were the cutest boys out there!

Dane has been waiting to go down this slide ever since school started. They kids have been telling him how it's a super fast one that will whip you down it. He was giddy! I loved seeing all of them together with so many other kids around. I know I'm sappy sentimental right now with being pregnant but it made me smile.

Apparently it's tough to find a ball out there during recess and Kathryn scouted around until she found the boys this soccer ball. A boy in Nate's class joined them and they ran the whole time. It's beyond me how they don't just fall asleep in class they burn so many calories. It was cute to see them all together. Once she found the ball for the boys, Kathryn was a goner, she wanted to get back to the swings.

I stopped them long enough for one last shot but as you can see they weren't really cooperating. Oh well. It made for perfect timing so Dane to get home and have a nap (me too!) because on the way home he told me he was really tired. I suggested a nap when we got there and he told me all that needed a nap was his legs. Good thing the rest of him complied, he slept for 1.5 hrs!
24 comments:
I'm waiting for hamburger gravy and mashed potatoes. My favorite school lunch. I would even fly up there for that!!! Where are the ol melmac trays we used to use? I'm starting to smell the smells even here in Vegas. I'm sure there are tacos in there at least once a week along with burritos! They are pretty good too. Do I need a reservation???????????? Mom
I love the back shots of the boys with the friend/soccer and headed to the slide.
Wow...whole wheat bun, vegetables, oven fries...sounds like the school has made some adjustments in the last few years.
What a good thing to document, Melanie.
What a fun time! My kids love when we come for lunch. It is amazing they can run so much and not sleep. My kids have told me that there have been a student to doze off once in a while. I know I would!
I like to visit Luci's school on fried catfish day! Parents can't visit for lunch until the 1st of October though.
I need to do this. My daughter would love it. I am really impressed with the school lunch at our school too. They even bake there own bread fresh everyday.
oh fun to go to school!! ive NEVER gone to school for lunch?!?! is that really possible?!?! how cute!
That is so fun to go and have lunch with them at school. I'm not sure our school lets you do that. Our other school did. That lunch doesn't look half bad either!
What a GREAT mom you are for having lunch with them. I bet that made their DAY .
What fun pictures :)
I'm sure your kids felt so special that you all ate together at the school cafeteria. How is your face staying thin while you're pregnant? Where are the chipmunk cheeks that I grew? You look GREAT!
I am sorry but I can't stop laughing about the thought of you trying to take a photo of yourself with milk at the bouncing table.
I love that you ate lunch with them, I haven't done that in a while and normally bring in outside food.
Oh sweet Barb, it isn't my face that carries the weight, it's every other cell in my body (every. other. one.). I guess that makes for good self portraits but really anything else I want to burn!! (I do count my blessings for the one place that doesn't get fat.)
What a fun day for the kids. I'm sure they loved having you there. Dane's probably wishing he could go to school now if he hasn't already.
Those definitely look like more healthful offerings than I remember with school lunch. I have been to eat with my boys once, but they never eat school lunch. I wish they would, I am so sick of packing lunches! Cute pics, I'm glad you kept the blurry ones.
That is such a cute iea to go eat lunch with your kids. And even though they were blurry. I love the pics of you eating lunch. And I have to tell you, I have just caught up reading your latest posts, and I loved your post about your hair! Both Eric and I were dying of laughter! But even with some crazy hairdo's, you were always cute!
now that is fun. i really want to go to the cafeteria but cass only buys lunch once or twice a month. i have always loved school burgers. why i don't know. lol
so you had a bit of fun?
Oh please, anyone who is reading these comments, don't let Melanie fool you. She looks really great still!!
I have had my fair share of school lunches in my day, and I really just can't do it any more! Good thing is I don't have any kids in elmentary, instead they just come home for lunch from the high school. SO now I'm in the hot seat to have delicious, nutrious lunches. Yikes!!
I'm so glad that you posted the picture of you drinking the milk on the bouncy table. I think it is adorable.
So cute. I love that you went and had lunch at the school. Definitely cool mom points, we need more mom propaganda. My mom used to pick me up and take me to lunch but I didn't know it was an option for the mom to come and have lunch...
You're so cute to take Dane to the cafeteria for lunch with the big kids. (I didn't even know you could do that.) I'm glad you posted the blurry self-portraits, it's funny to think of you taking them while on a bench with kindergarteners.
I loved going to school to eat lunch with my littles! Not so cool in middle school or High school! But an occasional drive by with an extra large pizza for my big boy and his friends - always a hit!
Love the soccer photo as well! So cute!
Melanie,
You take such risks with your life. Not the school lunch--the recess. Untrained adults can be eaten alive at a recess, I've seen it happen.
Becky
Thanks for emailing me your blog address. I really appreciate it. Oh, wait. I had to stalk you through Rebecky! The fam is getting bigger, don't ya just hate that? The bigger they get the older I get. :(
It took me Becky's blog to figure out my blogger name!!! Ha, Ha
Love that milk sipping self portrait of you. So cute! Avery keeps hinting that I should come eat lunch with her, but I'm not sure her school would appreciate PQ's lunch manners.
Post a Comment