Monday, September 17, 2007

Where's the Motivation?!

I can't believe a week is already gone and over with since my last post. I have thought a lot about posting but my motivation has been down the drain! I know I'm pregnant and all but I felt like I would (should!) have more energy at this point. I still want a nap everyday and if I don't take one then I'm falling asleep at 6:30 only to find myself not able to fall asleep when I finally get to bed. (Did that make sense?) It is so frustrating for me to not know how to handle being this tired! Any tips?!

Here's a little recap of what we've been up to this past week.

Marion took the kids the night before my birthday and helped them decorate a cake for me. She divided the top into thirds and they each got a section. They planned out what they wanted to do and it wasn't until the next day when I got to see it that we realized their sections together looked like a happy face. I thought that was so cute! She let them each choose a color and then they got to pipe it all on. Dane's is a blob of frosting, Kat did a heart with a little face and Nate wanted me to have a rose. I loved it!

The funniest part of the night was that Marion kept telling them not to tell me what they were doing. Dane kept telling them, 'I'm gonna tell her what we did. I'm gonna tell her.' When she brought them back to the house, immediately he started to tell me. The big kids were trying to shush him but it didn't work. He told me what they had done and Nathan and Kathryn got mad. He just matter of factly said, 'I told you I was going to tell her.' He usually means what he says so I thought it was funny he was just letting them know he was serious all along. What can I say...he's 4!!

They really put 32 singlecandles on my cake. The kids couldn't believe how many I had to blow out. We had a fun little party but Milo was missed. It was definitely different not having him around. Milo had the kids give me my presents while he was gone. They gave me a couple maternity shirts, the book Eclipse, some lotion and a much needed pair of maternity jeans. I needed to take pictures of it all but really forgot that night. Marion gave me a cute shirt and a black cardigan that's dressy. I'm sure I'll wear it every Sunday this winter (black is slimming right?). Anna gave me the book I am a Mother by Jane Clayson (so excited to read it) and Milo's gparents gave me a couple cool bracelets. My brother and Heidi sent some really cute stamps and some paper (I can't wait to craft some cards) and my mom sent me some money. Now I just need to get out of dodge to do some shopping. But really I'm dreading it, maternity clothes are so hard for me to find!

On to Sunday-

Our whole state had stake conference this past weekend. I was elated to have 10:00 church instead of 8:30. But the negative trade off for that was getting all 3 kids to sit still for 2 hours. But... it ended 1/2 hour early! Right when I didn't think Dane was going to make it much longer it was over! It was broadcast from Salt Lake to the 54 stakes in our state. President Hinckley spoke and I was humbled when he asked for our prayers to sustain him in his old age. He told us how much he felt the prayers from church members and how much he really needed them as he was in his 98th year. Again, very humbling.

Sunday night Nathan was so tired (the bawling, not deal well with anything tired). I finally took him into my room and was trying to keep him away from the other kids. He was fighting and arguing about the silliest stuff. I had had a headache for most of the day so I asked him to comb my hair (he needed a project). It was still to early to send them to bed so I had to find him some sort of distraction that didn't involve me reading or tv watching. After a couple minutes he asked if I wanted any bows or ponies in my hair. I didn't care but the funny thing was he had no idea how to make them stay in my hair. He was pulling it like crazy but thinking he was so good at this hair thing. In the end I had 26 barrettes or bows in my hair and ended up looking like this! I just had to take a picture. Doesn't he look proud (and don't I look scary!)?

I've been so slack on my birthday good mail too (not because I didn't love it!)! I was spoiled by Jill, Michelle, Annalisa, Elizabeth, Natasha, Amanda, Stefanie, Jane (a jar of homemade caramel and apples. it was soooo good, it's gone so no photo!), Barb and Carlo. A huge thank you to everyone, it made my day!! (Maybe I shouldn't say this but I hardly remembered that it was...Sept 1th.)

I thought this card from Barb was funny. This describes me to a tee. I always thought I wanted to grow up and be mature. But...I'm still waiting for it.

Then on Thurs the mailman dropped off this package from an online Christmas store. I was certain that I hadn't ordered anything from there and was to say the least, intrigued by the little box! Carlo sent this awesome pickle ornament! I can't remember what post I confessed liking to drink pickle juice but she was the only one that said she likes it too! Everyone else, well they thought we were weird! So started the pickle tradition with her and I. She even named us Team Pickle Juice. Apparently there is a tradition in Germany with pickle ornaments and this little card told me all about it (click to enlarge). I can't wait to do it with the kids this Christmas. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

The best news of the week is the weather! Highs only in the 70's and the lows are getting lower. I am happy to report I feel fall setting in! I can't wait for it to look like this in another month (or so)! Now I want soups and bread on the menu, they speak fall to me. Who doesn't love fall?

20 comments:

Brianne said...

Your cake turned out so cute, but I can't believe they put all the candles on. I'm glad you had a good birthday even though Milo was gone. How was your week anyway?

I really think you should have Nathan style you hair before you go out around town sometime. What talent!!

I love all the good mail you received! That's so nice of your blogging buddies to do that for your birthday. I especially loved the pickle ornament!

I have loved the weather this week also. It's been nice to turn the air conditioner off the last couple days. I love fall! It's my favorite time of year and my two favorite holidays are coming!!

carlo said...

fall is the best, i agree!

love the cake-- a happy face really is on that cake, so neat since they each did their own part of it.

so glad you had a lovely bday, even without milo it sounds.

you bday mail was awesome and i am thrilled that you remembered the team pickle juice- i thought for a min, what if she did not remember and now she has an ugly cucumber for her tree! yay for celebrations!

michelle said...

Fall is my favorite, too. (But it doesn't quite feel like fall yet here.)

I'm glad you had a cute cake, good gifts, and lots of loved ones for your birthday, even though Milo was gone (that is NOT ideal)! Looks like you are well-stocked on darling cards for awhile.

I thought it was way cute that Nathan could decompress by styling your hair -- and that you took a photo.

Re: maternity clothes. Do you have access to an Old Navy? They are getting more and more maternity stuff, maybe you could look online? Are there any secondhand shops you could check? I hated buying maternity clothes that I would only wear a short time, but you need some cute clothes, it really does help your state of mind. (Come to think of it, I still have quite a few. They are probably way too big for you, but email me and we can discuss.)

Liz said...

Love the cake! So cute!

You sure got some fun things for your birthday! I especially like the pickle ornament! Now that is a cool idea!

We are having fall weather here too! I am not sure I am ready to leave behind the warm weather just yet though!

donna said...

Fall is so here. I could feel it in the air. LOVE IT!!!

Looks like you had a wonderful b-day. ALL the great good mail. You do have some sweet blogging buddies.



I love the picture of you with all the barrettes :)

Christina said...

is that a photo from your house?!?! i LOVE it!!

SO fun you had a good bday!! the cake was a cute idea--

your hair is smashing girl-i think you could start a trend!!

jenny said...

I am chuckling over your candles (my husband insisted on putting all 31 of mine as well)

Great idea about Dane and giving him a project. I may have to use that one. Luke has been EXTRA whiny as of late, not sure what that is about!

Love the pickle--so cute.

Yay for cooler weather, I can't say we are getting it yet, but it should be coming very soon.

jenny said...

Oops I meant Nathan

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a fun recap to read Melanie. I, too, was so humbled by Pres. Hinckley's request for our prayers.

Laurie said...

Yay for a wonderful birthday!! The cake is priceless.

I am loving this weather too (we're having kinda the same). See my current post for a link to some great soups.

I can hardly make it through the day without a cat nap, so I really get why you would need one when pregnant! It's brutal that sleepiness!

Anna said...

Your party was very wild and very fun. Im so ready for fall too.

::lindsay said...

Sounds like you had an awesome birthday! It was cute that you had all the candles on the cake. Not as easy to blow them all out at once like it is when your little.

You had some great "happy mail" this week. Loved all the cute cards and really liked the pickle ornament. I've always thought the pickle ornament was such a fun idea.

Jill said...

This was a fun catch-up post. That cake the kids decorated for you is darling, and it's so funny that Dane told you what they did.

You are a wise woman to distract Nathan by letting him do your hair, the picture is so cute. You might want to consider having him do your hair every morning!

That picture of your birthday gifts is so pleasing! I love the card from Barb and think the pickle ornament is hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Your mother in law is so resourceful. That is such a good idea to divide it so everyone gets a spot. We love having her in our ward.

I love fall too, but dread winter. I always feel a little melancholy about that time to come, that I have a hard time enjoying the weather that we are having!

By the way, I have picked you as "Rockin' Girl Blogger"! I have loved reading your blog and getting to know you through it. It is always fun to read your impressions of the same things I am going to, or seeing. Check out my blog.

Barb said...

I love your birthday cake decorated in thirds! SO cute that it turned out like a happy face.
Happy good mail. You drink pickle juice?????

Elizabeth said...

I am glad you had such a lovely birthday week. I am waiting to grow up also. I have a feeling it is never going to quite happen.

Amie said...

The cake is so cute, what a great idea!

I love the book "I am a Mother" - I also received it for my birthday.

The pickle is such a thoughtful gift. I love when people are paying attention, so nice.

Unknown said...

suggestions for more energy
When you wake up, eat an orange,clementine, or some pineapple. These fruits will kick start your blood sugar. Then eat a big protein breakfast. Get at least 20-25 grams. Eat a little protein snack (string cheese, meat, cottage cheese, hard boiled egg, protein shake etc,) around 10:00, then for lunch get about 15 grams of protein. around 3 eat a fresh fruit, apple, orange, peach etc to raise your blood sugar again. then eat about 15 grams of protein for dinner. if you are dragging at 5ish, eat some raisins or dried fruit or a little more protein, (beef jerky) Lack of energy usually means that you aren't eating enough protein or fresh fruits. Your blood sugar probably starts out low, and stays low all day. That's what the orange will help with. (orange juice is way too concentrated to work) And pregnancy just makes you tired, so that mid afternoon nap isn't a bad thing. For dinner try to eat most of your veggies cooked. They take less energy to digest. We usually just have protein shakes available. It's really easy to mix a banana with a chocolate protein shake mix. There are tons and tons of things with protein in them. Most Dairy (yogurt, cheese, milk, cottage cheese etc) and eggs and meat. It's not hard once you figure out how much you need and when. You are supposed to take your current weight and divide it in half and that is how many grams of protein a day you are supposed to eat. if you want to loose weight add another 15%. you're replacing fat with lean. And drink tons of water, at least 2 quarts a day. That's how we get rid of a lot of toxins.
Good luck.
cute cake and hair! I love it.

Price Cream Parlor said...

Fun cake! Love the hair photo/project! That is so fun! Hope you had a happy birthday! I am loving the pickle ornament! I totally remember reading about Team Pickle! Enjoy this weather! It is lovely!

Laralee Anderson said...

Melanie, first of all I am clearly behind on my blogging because I didn't even know that you were pregnant! CONGRATULATIONS! That is wonderful news.

Second of all, we are almost the exact same age. :) I turned 32 on the 18th.....how funny!