Tuesday, September 11, 2007

SPT- Childhood Memories (don't forget the hair)

Last week when I read Lelly's challenge, I was excited because it's a perfect way for me to post about my birthday! I know, I know it's 9-11 but... 9-11 has been my day for 32 years. I'm not discounting the tragedy at all, I really mean that. It's just too depressing to hear about every year on your birthday. AND I get teased a lot about having a crappy birth date. Well thanks, I don't think so.

Here are some childhood memories accompanied by photos. I couldn't decide between some of these cute, hideous, funny pictures so I decided to post my favorites (or not so).

Even as a little tiny girl, my mom always did my hair. Remember I mentioned my first perm at 18 months? She meant business when she wanted more body in my baby fine hair!

I'm about 4 in this one and can you believe she got me to sit still for this? My hair is so round! C'mon mom, how much hairspray here? Or was it all back combing? You might think otherwise but I love this one. Kyle and I look so happy smiling for mom. Me in my short dress with tights and Kyle in his 70's romper. What cute kids.

This one is for my mom. She loved my hair here (me too, it's somewhat flat). I loved the dress. She was always so good about getting our pictures taken. I was ok with Nathan, dropped the ball with Dane and once Kathryn came, it all went down the drain. I love all the photos I have to look back on. Can I possibly recommit to taking more that can be famed with a new baby on the way? I hope so.

Every Christmas eve I spent the night in pink curlers (you know the ones). And every single Christmas morning, until I was successful in the whining, I looked like this. I eventually did win out (and then looked like a rag muffin). This must have been a special year with the flower and all. I always had ringlets.

This one almost tops the cake. For a ward talent show, my best friend and I got our hair cut the same way (courtesy of mom), wore matching dresses made by mom and recited the Shel Silverstein poem Saturday together. Now isn't that cute? I still remember it.... 'I cannot go to school today said little Peggy Anne McKay.' (My friend hated, hated her hair. I'm not sure she was ever the same again, ha!)

Every year at the county fair my mom would get the old fashioned pictures taken of us. We have at least 5 different ones. They aren't as cute (or cheap) as they used to be so I haven't ever done it with my kids. Maybe once for old time's sake.

I might have posted this one before. In fact, Kyle might not appreciate it a second time if I did. But me, I love my big hair (cough, cough). In fact, this is not the biggest my hair was in some pictures. I'm serious. A big memory I have from growing up is getting perm after perm in my mom's salon. Oh my I'm not sure I could count how many I have had through the years. But I do know I had one at the end of every summer, right before school. Hence the way my hair looks in most all the school pictures. Is there any other way my hair would have stayed like this without a little body? At least here it was curled, sometimes it was just wash and pick that baby out. Which meant a big puff ball of hair on my head. I would cry and whine but my mom would prevail every time. I'm pretty sure my last (unapproved) perm was in the 6th grade. I did opt for one as a junior in high school. It wasn't that bad since I wanted it then.

But..since my mom always did my hair I had no idea how to do it myself. This is in the 7th grade and I was having a hard time doing my hair for picture day. I asked her for help and this is what I ended up with. It was so, so big. I spent the first 2 hours of the day squishing it down and this was the result. Whenever I see this picture I think, 'I was born in the 70's and I took them right with me into the 80's.', HA! (Don't even ask about the animal shirt. It frightens me every time I see it. I don't even think it was mine, did I borrow it on purpose?)

And I had to post my senior picture. When Kathryn saw this in the pile of photos she said, 'Is that you? You looks so young and pretty. Kind of like a teenager. You have long hair with curls, I love it.' I was laughing so hard! I told her that I was a teenager when this was taken (17) and she looked at me like I was a celebrity. She had Nathan and Dane come over and look at it. They were so funny, I wish I could have their voices on camera because it was adorable. Totally questioning if this is me and looking at my face to to believe it. Nathan told me I did look the same, just older. Apparently today I look every bit of my 32 years to them.

*Maybe somehow all of this contributed to my choosing hair as a profession?*

Milo went out of town yesterday afternoon not to return until late Thursday. I don't expect a big hoopla on my birthday (never have) but he has been missed today. Marion and the kids are 'surprising' me with a party tonight. I know about all of it because Dane was NOT into keeping anything a secret (are any 4 yr olds?). In fact, he told everyone that he was going to tell me all that they did. I plugged my ears (heard it anyway) and the big kids think I don't know. They are going to be so excited tonight. And crash at bedtime. Perfect since I'm on duty by myself.

I have some birthday Good Mail to post about and tomorrow I'll have a party recap. Thanks for all the birthday wishes, emails, packages and calls. I love this feeling of 32. It's a great place to be. Here's to the next 12 months....

25 comments:

Liz said...

Happy Birthday!! I love all the pictures! The perm thing brings back scary memories for me. I'm never getting another perm, ever!!

Anonymous said...

I love the walk down memory lane! You took all of my pictures so I can't even reminisce! Happy Birthday to the best daughter a mother could have!!! I love you. MoM

jenny said...

First and foremost Happy Birthday. Those photos are awesome! I am beginning to think that Taylor will have your trouble with hair since I do her hair EVERYDAY for school. She claims she can't get it right.

I never got one of those old fashioned photos done, but really would like to. I can't believe how much your brother looks like Dane! Crazy. And this baby will have better documentation than photos you have a blog! Even better...at least that is what I keep telling myself about my dust collecting photos for my scrapbook :)

Brianne said...

Mom didn't think Dane could keep your party a surprise. Hope you have a Happy Birthday!!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

This was a perfect post, Melanie. I loved all of your photos and the hair comments you had for each one.

A big Happy Birthday to you!

Melinda said...

Happy Birthday!! I am sad your hubby won't be there. I have done that before. But so cute you will get your fun party.

THe pictures are so clasic. So fun to see of everyone!

michelle said...

Happy birthday! I was wondering how you felt about your birthday being 9/11. My best friend from elementary school shares your birthday, not sure why I remember that.

I had several of those perms as well! Oh the big big hair I had. So fun to see all the old photos!

Laurie said...

Happy Birthday Melanie! I've thought of you today and had to come wish you a great year.

Your pictures are adorable. I love the hair history!

Elizabeth said...

That was such a fun post. So many cute pictures of you. Your hair was amazing.
Hope your party was fun!
Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a great day! THat is awesome.

Love the pics. WOW> many styles, many memories. I think the matching styles for the talent show are the greatest!! :)
-carlo

::lindsay said...

Happy Birthday, Melanie! I love, love, love the pictures!

Unknown said...

happy birthday!!

what a fun trip down memory lane with you! it seems as if you had more stuff done with your hair by age 4 than i've had in a lifetime?!?

Angie said...

first thing...happy birthday! second thing....wow, i mean wow! some of those pictures are....amazing. thanks for sharing. sometime i may have to post my 8th grade picture where the bad hair, blue eyeliner, and glossy pink lip gloss make me look like a street walker.

donna said...

Oh my, I so love the picture of you with your first perm. So Cute.


I hope you have a great b-day girl. It was a lot of talking to you on the phone.

Christina said...

oh darn! i didnt know it was your bday!!! happy bday woman!!

those were some fun photos-some SERIOUS hair! and your senior photo is stunning!

what a crack up about the kids questioning if its you!! love it!

Barb said...

Happy Birthday! You were destined for hair, clearly.

Anna said...

Love the post. Perfect for your bday. That was one wild party we had. So sweet of the kids and Mimi. I love all your pics but you already heard my comments. I hate that my old pics are even worse than that!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Oh the big hair made me LAUGH hard. Oh the memories, I had MANY a perm in my day! Isn't it so funny how kids think we're old? My students are always in shock when I tell them my age. They think I'm WAY older!

Price Cream Parlor said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!
I am loving your take on this - love all your hair dos! So fun!

Anonymous said...

Your perms are cracking me up -- 18 months? That is so funny! I can't imagine getting an 18 month old to sit still long enough for that.

Hope your birthday was great!

Nikki said...

Happy Birthday and how about that cream/cheese peach pie recipe?

Buffy said...

Happy B'day. I hope you have enjoyed your party and entire day. Maybe make it last the whole weekend :D.

Love the pictures... so many of them take me back to my own big hair and perms. I swear we had the same type of floral couch too. And the lovely brown carpet. Gotta love it. So fun to think back to good 'ol school days when we thought life was hard :D.

Amie said...

Fabulous pictures! I love the big hair (I have big hair myself).

Happy Belated Birthday! Sorry I am late, I think I am in a selfish kind of month....

carlo said...

hope you are having a great weekend!

Jill said...

You were meant to be a hair stylist!