Tuesday, September 25, 2007

SPT and Other Randoms

'I've been meaning to do this for a long time. I'm so glad i finally got around to it!'

That's Lelly's challenge this week for SPT. I really have been meaning to take a belly shot (here I am at 25 weeks) and this gave me the push to do it. I mean who wants to take a picture in clothes they don't love, with a big belly and a cut off head? But I think they're fun to look back on so I bit the bullet and did it. Nathan tried to help me but dang, all he could do was zoom in WAY too close and I looked like I was due six weeks ago! (This is my best attempt with the self timer.) I wish I had photos from my other pregnancies (at the same week), I feel huge this time but maybe it's all relative and I've actually been this huge every time (all signs point to yes!). On the downhill slide now...15 weeks to go.

Today didn't start out hard. It just ended up that way. Ended up that way in a big way! We're in the obnoxious stage with Dane, the... To Nap or Not to Nap phase. He is a high energy, never sit still kid that needs a nap everyday. Even wants a nap. And I want him to have a nap too. BUT, when he has a nap, he doesn't go to bed at a reasonable hour, keeps Nathan awake and drives Milo and I crazy. It happened last night. It was after 9pm when he settled down. Not acceptable!

So today, I'm determined not to give him a nap, even if he needs it (which he did). It means I wouldn't get one either but I'll take one for the team so I don't lose it with him at night. It backfired, he fought everything and everyone ALL afternoon. I'm serious, nothing was working at distracting him from his exhaustion. So at 430 he falls asleep. I spend the next 30-45 minutes pulling his thumb out of his mouth, taking away his blanket and just bugging him in general to wake up. It finally worked but it turned him into a bear! A mean bear. He was hitting all of us, sticking his tongue out while spitting and screaming over every little thing. It actually took a humorous turn by dinner and bath time. What else can you do but laugh?

So here's my question. What is worth it in the end? Having him staying up later while the other two sleep? (I'm big into bedtimes and nightly routines. I need quiet time to stay sane) Or pulling my hair out for 2.5 solid hours so he goes to bed at 7-730? I'm torn, neither option is very appealing. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

I have to, have to attack my kids dressers some time this week and I'm avoiding it like the plague! I'm not sure if any of them can actually shut their drawers and having them help put the laundry away is actually dangerous. Nate almost toppled his dresser this afternoon. It's not because they have this huge assortment of clothing, it's just that overnight (it seems) they have 2 seasons worth of clothes and it wont all fit. UGH! I hate cleaning out closets and drawers and times it by 3 and I want to just pretend they don't exist! Send me cleaning/organizing vibes, I'm afraid I need them! My kids will thank you when they can open their drawers again.

I know I had something else to post about. BUT, with a pregnancy related brain (mush) it's all left me now. Must be for another post.

21 comments:

Barb said...

I never did any belly shots, and I only have ONE full body picture of me pregnant at all. It would be a fun photo to look back on, especially to compare pregnancies.
Nice work with the self timer, btw.
I have no answers for you on phasing out naps. What do you need most - an afternoon nap or a quiet evening?

Elizabeth said...

I don't have any belly shots either. I should do one. Like Barb I only have one full shot from each pregnancy I think.

Robyn said...

I love belly photos! Good for you taking one, even if it was a bit difficult. With my second pregnancy, Olivia, I was so good about taking one every few weeks and I wore the same shirt which made it really fun to see the difference in the size of my belly. I copied a Becky Higgins page and lined up all the photos across the two pages in my scrapbook with the week gestation written above each photo.

About the nap situation, I think we have all been through that with a 3-4 year old. Personally I think it's better to endure the BEAR for a while and work on the right bedtime. His body will learn to adapt, but it might drive you insane in the meantime! Good luck.

Unknown said...

looking good!

Liz said...

Love the belly shot. I don't have very many either. BUt I always made sure to take one right before I had the baby.

I can relate to the nap or not nap thing. Jared is the same way. Even Hailey, she is so onery now that she is in Kinder (half day), that I often think you need a nap. But, she never does. Jared on the other hand won't go to be until 9:30 or 10 if he takes a nap. Typically he falls asleep late in the afternoon, which is the worst time ever for a nap. My suggestion, see if you can get him to lay down really early, like right after lunch and set a timer for 30 minutes to an hour. See if that helps, but still gets him in bed on time. Then you get your nap too!

donna said...

Oh i love your belly shot! So cute.

So sorry about Dane and his sleeping. I really don't know what to say. My kids always been great sleepers. They go right to bed at night.
Good LUCK! Girl :)

Becky Noftle said...

What the heck is SPT. Special Pregnancy Test? Super Pregnant Tummy? I had one goal this summer clean out Carter's closet. The other kids got done but not Carter. He has 6-9month clothes that haven't been put away---the child will be 2 in December. I just have to get the biggest DIET COKE in the world and do it. If you want I'll come sit on your kids bedroom floor and you can chuck clothes at me and I'll fold and sort accordingly.

Christina said...

oh cute belly!!

oh the dreaded to take a nap or not take a nap!!

7/730 seems REALLY early to be having him to go bed??? what time does he wake up in the morning?? mine go down at 8 for "quiet time-coloring time or reading time(maybe he could watch a 30 minute show??)" then at 830 its lights out..my older 2 get up at 630am and the younger 2 (5 &3) get up at 7or 730am....

if he going to bed at 9pm..i think i'd opt for him to take the nap! but for that last 30 minutes or hour..have him do something quietly??

Matt said...

What a great self-portrait. Matt said he saw you in the office and that you were cute pregnant,.... actually he said "pregnancy becomes her." 15 weeks to go WOOO-HOOO!

michelle said...

I think you look fabulous! I don't know why in the world you think you're huge, I can barely even tell you're pregnant... 15 weeks left, is that all?

I can't stand that nap-phasing-out stage. I would suggest trying an earlier nap and then waking him up earlier from said nap if you have to. Maybe he will get to the every other day nap. It's hard to choose between getting him to bed and being a functioning member of the family!

I feel like I am cleaning out drawers and closets every other month, and I hate that job!

Anonymous said...

I only took pregnancy shots the day before delivering (always got induced) in front of the crib, and with Keith puffing his skinny tummy out to keep me company. I think you are looking so good! 25 weeks!

I'm sorry about the naps. It's such a conundrum, isn't it? PQ has not been napping well (at almost 23 months) this week, and I'm freaking out that she's wanting to phase them out. I still think she needs them ... because I still need them!

jenny said...

So fun! I never took any profile photos of my belly except right before deliver and yikes for me! You saw the one of Luke's birthday.

Weston is going through the no nap/nap stage. Some days he will and other days he won't take them and turns seriously evil, but like Dane if he does nap he is up way past I would like him to be. BUT if he doesn't nap it also back fires because he gets super hyper when he is overly tired mixed with grumpiness. Did that make any sense?

Good luck with the closets, I hate doing that. I was just noticing I need to be doing the same thing. My three boys share the same dresser. Pretty painful.

Anonymous said...

I think your belly shot is so cute. You are looking great! I don't think you are looking enormous- even though you may feel that way.
Sorry, no advice here on phasing out naps, but it just gives me a sneak peek into what I have to look forward to! ;)

Anna said...

I love the belly. That was me last year. You look good. As for Dane what is there to say about the kid?

Becky Noftle said...

Did I say Carter would be 2 in December---he will be 3. The 6-9month clothes have got to go. As for nap time Uncle Kent would tell you to rock him to sleep with a big rock!

Anonymous said...

Melaine, you are so cute! I'm so excited for you. 15 weeks? Oh joy!

Brenda said...

So why can't your head be in the picture? I love belly shots.
I'm laughing so hard at Becky now. At least she realized her baby is going to be 3 not 2! Old people, I tell ya! I've never forgotten how old my kids are. I just ALWAYS forget how old I am! Seriously have to think about everytime I'm asked. Rambling much Brenda?
Nap time: Our rule was if I didn't get him down by 1pm I would have to tough it out. It's hard because you can't let them watch T.V. in the late afternoon or drive anywhere for this is the recipe for disaster. Carson phased much earlier than Preston which sucked because I needed a nap everyday while I was prego. I would put him in bed with me and if he wasn't asleep in 30 minutes I would give up and turn on Diego. That way I at least got to lie down for a while. Little stinkers aren't they?
Dresser are the devil. I would take Becky up on her offer if I were you. I'm much more productive if I have a buddy. Carson empties his drawers daily. He's always looking for the perfect shirt, or pants or Jammies. I've given up on trying to keep his clothes folded. Preston and Abby's dresser stay nice and as such, removes all my guilt.
BTW it was my goal (not really) to write the longest comment ever.

Jill said...

Cute pregnancy picture!

Brianne said...

Great belly picture. I only have one when I was pregnant with Jayni.

I guess I'm lucky that my kids nap and still go to bed at 7-7:30. One thing I can suggest is that with Jayni I tell her what we're doing before it happens. Before lunch I'll let her know we'll be having lunch soon and then it'll be nap time after lunch. Then during lunch I ask her what she's doing next. I do the same thing with our night routine. Most of the time she does everything without a fight. But like every 4 year old there are the occasional meltdowns.

carlo said...

oh now that is a great spt.

i wish i had pics of my belly adn i don't have any from either pregnancy.

i have some fun full body shots but my friends (just now preg or recent new moms) have the monthly, bare belly shot, in the same location each month to show the progression. I wish I had something similar!)

have so much fun with it.

Diana said...

very cute. I love belly shots.