I've had a little epiphany this past week concerning love languages, from this book The Five Love Languages. For some people it might seem like a no brainer but for me, it's hard to speak a different language than the one(s) I respond to. Jill has a fabulous post on this (that I can't believe I didn't comment on), read it here.Last Friday, I had a bad mom morning. I'm not proud to admit that I was yelling and rushed (excuses I know) and I was not leaving them with a nice feeling when they left our home. Right before we left the house I apologized for getting after them and yelling before they went to school. When we got to parent drop off I gave them each a hug and kiss and told them I love them (trying to ease my guilt). I tell them I love them everyday, just minus the hug/kiss as they jump out of the van. And not because I don't want to hug them, I seriously just don't think about it.
When I picked them up that afternoon, Kathryn was so excited to tell me she had a star day. Yeah! We high fived and praised her, letting her know we were so happy. Then Mon when as she was getting out of the van, I thought, lets work to keep this up and gave her another hug and squeeze as she jumped out. Another star day. So has continued the pattern every day this week! She had only had one star since the beginning of the year and now, as of yesterday, 4 in a row. Amazing, was I speaking her love language?I've been thinking about this all week. Is it a coincidence? Did talking and blurting out of turn just click with her last Friday or with the hugs and touch right before she leaves me is she more focused and secure. I have a hard time not feeling like it has helped her (not because I'm amazing, just because she is hearing what I'm saying in the language she needs). The 'hard' part about Kathryn is that she speaks all the languages and for someone like me, that can be draining. She loves touch, words of affirmation, gifts, quality time and even responds to acts of service (she notices everything you do or say, and remembers it). I'm serious the girls does not have clear lines in her love languages. And some of that is how she was raised before coming to live here with us. She needs every single one.
So whether it has been a coincidence or not (what do you think?), I'm committing to speaking her language more. Even if that's touch (my very hardest one). And in writing this, I realize that it's vital for her (and all of us) to feel loved. Something I know, I just let life get in the way. Isn't that awful to admit?
Asked in every post about this book but, have you read this book (if not, read it!) and what's your language ?
27 comments:
Your so funny! You look so good! Yes Royal has joined the ww gang! its so nice. Hey whats the website and stuff for the fam pictures! I forgot it all!
What a discovery! I still remember finding Ande's and what a huge difference it made.
My language? Me and Kathryn be mates--I speak/understand them all. But quality time (emotionally sharing)is my top and gifts is my bottom.
So glad the hugs and kiss have helped Kathryn.
I have to get that book! We've been having trouble with Pres in class too this year. He's so smart just can't focus. His teacher (who's also awesome but very strict) lent me, "The Myth of the A.D.D. child", for ideas on helping him focus, not because we think he's A.D.D. But, I'm thinking your book might be a bigger help. Sounds like Kathryn is doing great. Her life story always wrenchs my heart and makes me proud of my cuz for the warm and open way you welcomed her into your family. (little sappy-but true!) She's a very blessed little girl!
Hey Melanie,
I love the love language book because I had never really thought of it before, but with that knowledge, you can see and share love in better ways than without. For example, I'm a words of affirmation girl. All I need is a little pat on the back, a "good job" or an "I love you." and I'm good. So, I get stuck in a rut sometimes just telling people how I feel or praising them, but not doing the service or spending the time. I think when I focus on my kids (my oldest is quality time and gifts) and spend the time...I can see it in their behavior too.
I love how you've slowed down to notice this. But mostly, I love that your daughter is having star days. How lovely:)
Wow! You have been sneaking in little discoveries without telling me. I wish I could figure out Maggie's "language" at this point in life it seems to be thrashing around and yelling!
This is a great post! I have this book, but admit I have never really read it. I haven't thought about what my kids love languages are or mine really for that matter! I guess I should, it could make a huge difference!
I love this book! I struggle to remember this for my kids sometimes, but when I think about REALLY focusing on showing them their "language" they completly respond! Good for you and I am so happy that Kathryn is doing better!
This is great! I loved that book, it gave me many insights, but I sure do have a hard time putting them into practice. My husband and Max are words of affirmation, which seems to be the hardest one for me to give :(. I am acts of service. It was such an eye-opener to me that the acts of service I was providing might not really be communicating my love to others!
Great job Kathryn on getting 4 stars in a row!
I never heard of that book before. Hmm,i may have to get it.
Way to go Kathryn on getting 4 stars. YOU rock girl :)
I really like this book and have read it a couple times now. I think kids are a lot of different things at these stages and will grow into their stronger points. I would say Mya is mainly physical touch and words of affirmation- but with her Grandma, she is totally gifts because that is the relationship she has made with her. When Mya is in trouble, she responds much better when I sit her on my lap and have my arms around her talking than when I tried time outs or anything else. She loves the high fives and thrives on the "Good Jobs" she gets from her dad.
I think there is a love language book specifically for kids...maybe check that out?
That is a very interesting subject. I remember Eric and I having difficulties trying to show our love for each other in the right love languages. Of course, we always want to show love through our own love language, but it is so much better when you can do it in theirs. That is neat that you figured out Kathryn's. Even if that isn't the whole reason why she is doing better, I am sure it has contributed. Good for you!
What a fabulous discovery! Most kids speak all the love languages during childhood, so it can take awhile to discover their main language. So even though it can be overwhelming to speak all the languages to Kathryn, it's also a blessing because that means she's happy with everything you do!
I love this book. I read it about 2 years ago and then my husband read it. He found it interesting that all these years he has been speaking the wrong love language to me. What a difference this insight can provide. With regards to our children - WOW! Being a Mom - a good Mom - is physically draining. Especially if you have more than one little! This love language is so important. I have to agree with that most kids at this age - speak all of the languages and then just fall into one that is stronger for them later. Isn't it crazy that each child can be so different? As my littles are getting much older, they are falling into their own language and I find it fascinating to see that each one is so different.
What a great lesson - I think that Kathryn is so lucky to have YOU as her Mom! That extra boost she must feel to have even earned a star for one day - let alone - several in a row.
WOW! This is a novel comment - I must close! Great insight. Great thoughts for me to ponder today. Thanks for sharing!
Catching up on posts since I've been out of town - can you put Dane down from 1-2:30 or 3 p.m.? This is when I nap my boys. They have 5 hours before naps and 5 hours after before bed. Then I try to run them around in the afternoon/evening with a walk around the block/backyard play before 8 p.m. bed. Good luck finding what works for you guys.
I have this book and need to utilize it more. A guy in our ward says his mom gave him a morning hug every single morning until he left for college. Now she still gives him the daily hug when she's with him. Not all children would allow that as some definitely don't prefer hugs, but I try to initiate a morning hug with Clayton ever since I heard that story nd he seems to like it. I'm sure you've hit on something very positive.
This is such a cute story- so great that you documented it. I think I am Acts of service- if you love me, then you show me you're willing to work for it! Ha. I am right there with Michelle- some people don't respond to this language so I have to really try to be better at words of affirmation (definitely Austin and Olivia's language) and Physical touch (my husband and Ashley's language). Such an interesting book.
That is fantastic mothering insight. It would be draining to speak all 5 languages to a child every day, but you can do it! A hug from you equals a star from the teacher? What a pay off!
I haven't read this book -- it's on my long list, though. But, what a discovery for you with Kathryn! It's a little thing that's obviously making all the difference with her.
Never heard of this book before--it sounds like one I need to get--wonder if all these years I haven't been speaking Samantha's love language. Keep on hugging.
I need to get that book and have heard so many great things about it.
I can't tell you how many times I do that to my kids before school and do that exact same thing. Apologize and hug/kiss them wishing them a good day at school.
Both my kids had a terrible first month when they transitioned into first grade. I think it's an adjustment after being allowed to talk all the time in kinder. I am glad she is doing much better :)
Good Job being able to figure out how best to communicate with Kathryn. There is a men's edition of this book too. Must be a simplified version. HAHA! Also, The Five Love Languages of Children.
i haven't read it but it does sound intriguing...i have certainly heard jill comment on it
thanks for reminding me of it
great post...I currently have Jill's book and I am 1/3 into it...it is an eye opener, I think my husband and I keep missing each other, because we speak totally different languages...what insight...thanks...also cool picture of you and baby...wow
I love that book and think it can work for all our relationships. It's great that no matter what her language might be you are willing to give her what ever she needs to feel loved.
What a sweet experience.
I am words of affirmation. I just need to be told.
I can talk about this book all day, I'm not kidding. I feel like it opened my eyes and changed my relationships.
I want to share one thought about a "touch child" - my James is that too. Once we started homeschooling I saw such a huge difference in his demeanor and started realizing how often he threw his arms around me for everything (right answers, wrong answers,....) It broke my heart to think that he was having to be someone else all day at school. No touch (not that you want the teachers being touchy) but the kids don't realize the reason... I just think their tank slowly drains all day and then they are looking for attention in other ways. Now I can see how important it would be for a kid who responds to physical touch to get a hug and a kiss from you as they leave and as they get home.
You are a good mom, I am impressed with anyone who finds out the reason behind the behavior instead of just disciplining the behavior. I hope Kathryn keeps up the good work!
I never really thought of relating this book to children...DUH! I actually own the book...but was a slacker and never REALLY read it. Our young marrieds group was supposed to. Oops. Maybe I'll work on that.
By the way I have more names to suggest for you...Have you heard of baby name wizard...the book?
Here are the sib sets for your boys names...
Nathan:
Sisters-Rachel, Leah, Lauren, Natalie, Emily
Brothers-Benjamin, Issac, Simon, Samuel, Nolan
Dane:
Sisters-Cara, Lise, Lindsay, Jena, Elle
Brothers-Brice, Drew, Derrick, Colt, Cale
I know your having a boy, but for future reference I thought I'd include the sister names. Also, my suggestions....Carson, Carter, Cameron
I have the book and need to read it. Kat sounds a lot like my Ashley. She is going to be hard to decifer. That is pretty cool that she has been doing so well.
Post a Comment