Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween....Past and Present Picture Post

Tonight we had perfect, I mean really perfect weather. I don't think it's been this warm on Halloween for a long time. When we started out it was still 50^ with no wind. Cold weather never equals fun when dragging your kids around so we had a good time tonight with no one crying about being cold. Or tired for that matter. It was a great night!

When Halloween rolls around, my kids are consecutive with their ages. This year they are Kathryn- 6, Nathan- 5, Dane- 4. No wonder they always look so close in age when we go out! Dane has had his birthday by now (9/3) and the other two are only one week (11/6) and two weeks (11/14) away. I just wanted to post pictures of their past 3 Halloweens (for documenting purposes, hopefully not to bore you. skip down for 2007). The one from 4 years ago with Dane as a newborn frog and Nathan as Woody is so cute, I just can't find it and I am toooo tired tonight to go digging around for it.

{2004...Dorothy-3, Courageous Lion (missing his left hand,ha!)-2, Brainy Scarecrow-1}

{2005...Little Red Riding Hood (my red cape when I was little)-4, Baseball Player-3 and....}

{2005...an upset Mickey Mouse. He's 2, can you tell?}

{2006...Geisha-5, Pirate-4, Monkey-3}

2007

This year I was so laid back about their costumes. We mostly just scrounged around for stuff we already had. Nathan wanted to be a guy on a horse (yeah, we borrowed this one), Dane always wanted to be a ninja turtle (luckily we found Rapheal on sale), and Kathryn settled on Rapunzel (wearing one of her dress up dresses, we only bought the wig). She wanted to be a witch but sadly, we couldn't find one that was her size (she's planning for next year already, I should shop some 1/2 off sales). Thankfully, she loves princesses too.

Nathan was specific on what kind of mustache he wanted me to paint. One that had curls. OK, done. Kathryn wasn't quite used to all the lipstick, her smiles were more forced than usual. And Dane would NOT let me paint his face green. I wanted to so bad but once he brought the tears on I decided it wasn't worth it. He told me he did like his mask, even if he could only see a little (it wouldn't stay in place very well). So funny.

Gramimi loves Halloween! She was all into it this year and was a very cool looking witch. The kids thought she was 'spooky', a good spooky though. (I'm such a Halloween downer, I'm glad she likes to dress up.) We hit her ward's Trunk or Treat, went to our ward's Trunk or Treat and then went back to her house so Grandpop and Daddy could take the kids to a few neighborhood houses (what the kids were looking forward to the most). I was tired so Marion and I stayed behind and passed out candy. It worked out perfectly!

Sweet Rapunzel

Rootin Tootin Cowboy

Beware, I'm Rapheal!

26 comments:

Rachel said...

Love the tantruming Mickey Mouse! All the picture are so fun! Nice work on pulling together wallet friendly costumes...they can get expensive, but I try to see it as adding to the dress-up box (justify, justify)! I am a Halloween lover, but have enjoyed the different insights from loathe to love throughout Blogland. Very interesting...

Becky Noftle said...

The kids, especially Kathryn look so old. What did you do let them grow up? What is your calling in Primary? Why didn't I think to take one of all five together? Apparently I am not "Mr. Obvious".

Jill said...

The costumes turned out great! I love the curly mustache and that he knew exactly what he wanted. These are great pictures.

Elizabeth said...

They all look great. I love seeing th progression over the years. And K's hair turned out great.

Robyn said...

They look so cute. Isn't it much easier to be laid back about the costumes? I was the same this year and it was no big deal. They looked great.

Hope you're feeling well!

Kim said...

I'm impressed with your costuming abilities. They've looked great every year! Good job! Hope they had fun trick or treating.

donna said...

OH how cute!!!!!!! Wow what great costumes.

We also had a warm night. The kids didn't have to wear coats.

HAve a great day :)

becca said...

Great pictures!!

I am glad you had good weather (although to me 50 degrees is FREEZING!! :)

carlo said...

oh now that is fun! great pics!

love that you documented a few years. i plan to do that too if i can get my pics to load.

Liz said...

Love all the costumes past and present! So fun!

Christina said...

oh the upset mickey mouse was hilarious!! that should be sent to disney or something--hahha

and WHAT? isnt a geisha an asian prostitute?!?!?

this year was great for us too-it was reuse year-love those when i dont have to BUY anything!!

The Hiltons said...

Great Costumes. I love dressing up. It's the only time of year I can get away with extreme makeup. Geisha's aren't prostitutes. Love the Micky Mouse. Looks familiar. Kyle's Mask had a hard time too. Totally jumpy comment, don't you think.

Price Cream Parlor said...

Looks like a great time! I love the costumes!!

Amie said...

I love the pictures. Your kids are darling.

We had our warmest Halloween in years too. It was so nice to not have to bundle so much we couldn't remember what it was they were trying to dress up as.

Shaila Lou said...

The kids look great! Halloween is so fun for all. Mom looks great too, totally doesn't look like herself. Glad you all had a great night!

Angie said...

now THAT is a "cowboy costume" if people in our ward had been that creative i would not have complained. your kids looked adorable.

jenny said...

Love the trip down memory lane. I am cracking up over that mustash that he has. Too cute!

We scrounged for Halloween as well, so much nicer than going out and spending so much money!

Laurie said...

For being laid back about it all they sure look great!

Barb said...

The handlebar mustache is a cowboy must! They're all so cute, I really liked the past pictures, too. I didn't get a group shot this year, darn it!

Melinda said...

Really cute pictures of the kids and the costumes are so cute. THat is funny about the no green face paint. I don't know what my kids would think about that. Glad it was a fun night. We had great weather here also!

Anonymous said...

Melanie, the kids look great!! I love that Marion dresses up so elaborately. I'm all for dressing up as long as it's simple. I also loved the tantrum Mickey Mouse! Isn't that a classic halloween picture?! Really fun!

Lucy said...

We had Leonardo in our house. Too bad we couldn't have gotten Raphael and Leonardo together. It looks like they could have a very good time together:)

Your kids are adorable.

Samantha said...

I love pictures of kids in halloween costumes! They are all so cute. I am just blown away by how big your kids are! I feel like last time I saw them they were just babies. And I just checked out your "100" list and I loved loved it.

Bond Girl 007 said...

what fun memories....

Anonymous said...

Your kids are all SO cute. The mustache is awesome- love that he knew what he wanted. Warm weather is the best on Halloween.

::lindsay said...

I LOVE those pictures! How fun! You really have the cutest kids, Melanie!