Tuesday, November 06, 2007

His Golden Day

Today is Nathan's Golden Birthday (I didn't make that up), he's 6 on the 6th. We've been telling him what it means for quite a while and needless to say he's been a little obsessed with others and their Golden Birthdays. Now I'm wondering why we ever told him. I have no idea what I did when I turned 11 (Milo at least knows he was on his mission) so it's been a bit of a disappointment to him that I can't answer him (any ideas mom?). He thinks we should all remember this day. I guess Milo and I did a good job of building it up, I hope it met his standards. This morning when he woke up, he told me he was golden today. And really most of the time, he is.

Our boy at only 9 days old. He was 8 days early and a big boy at 9lbs even. I'm so glad he was 8 days early. He was such a good baby and broke me in as a mother (I'm sure no easy task). He was the best napper around, meaning I got naps back then too. But even very young he wanted his bed and nothing else when he was tired. He did like a little snuggling but when he was ready to sleep, his bed was it. Just. his. bed. So sad for a first time mom that wanted to over rock and snuggle her first baby.

{2 months old}

He had the biggest eyes and darkest eyebrows as a baby (still does actually). People always commented on his eyes and eyebrows. I say it all the time but how in the world did he get to be 6 so fast? I go back and forth between loving all he is learning and how he is growing up to... wanting it all to stop and for him to stay little. It could be the hormones but I get weepy thinking about how fast time goes and how their little lives seem to be stuck on fast forward and I want to hit rewind. That's normal, right? He's who made me a mother and once that happens, your life is never, ever the same again. And for the best reasons in the whole world! Thanks Nate!

{tonight at his birthday dinner}

I told him he could choose what he wanted for his birthday dinner. He wanted 'Hot Dogs'. I probably should have run with it because that is so easy but hot dogs sounded repulsive to me at the time. I kept at him on the sly, re-asking the question until he changed the menu. So instead he chose, homemade chicken pot pie (yum), chips (random), and pudding with cool whip for dessert. Since it's his year to have a party we are saving birthday cake for Sat. Gramimi was in charge of the pudding and she made pudding dirt cups with worms (not surprisingly a HUGE hit). She of course let the kids help, they loved it and the pudding, crushed oreos and cool whip mixed together were delish! I love Dane sneaking in on this picture. So Dane.

It is NOT easy to get a natural smile out of this kid. Tonight when trying to take some birthday shots, out of nowhere he was flailing his arms, faking a smile and enjoying every second of driving me crazy. He was so happy over this scooter and this is the only look I could get out of him with it. Oh well, black mail photos for later, right? He even knows he does the cheesy smile. When he got his school pictures taken this year he came home so proud and told me he 'didn't even do cheesy this time'. So funny.

I had his parent teacher conference yesterday. When I was getting ready for the day, Nathan wanted to know where I was going. I told him that I was going to talk to his teacher and that's why he wasn't in school, because of these parent teacher conferences. Mrs S. was talking to the parents, telling them if their kids are good or bad at school and what they are learning. I asked him what she would say about him, would it be good or bad?

He scrunched up his face and said with wrinkled eyebrows, 'I'm pretty sure she's going to say I'm both.' (She laughed at that one). So another year goes by and he still tells on himself. I love his honesty. And sometimes it's hilarious that for the littlest things, he'll rat himself out. I think he just can't help it. What an awesome trait, to always work at being honest. The good news is, he is doing great at school. She said he is all BOY (translate that to busy) and that he is smart and very eager to learn. So far his favorites are math (not sure who that's from) and recess (I loved recess). Oh and from my post below with the messed up clothes, you can tell he likes lunch time too.

One of his new favorite things to do is play Guitar Hero with Milo. He can actually get through about half a song before he misses too many notes. The funniest part is that when he plays it, he sticks his tongue out with every note. Seems like a lot of work to me but for him, it's all about concentration.

He is the most excited of the kids to have a new baby around here. He LOVES babies. And he thinks they love him too. When Preston was born and we saw him in the hospital (only 8 hrs old), Nathan kept saying for days afterwards how much he knew Preston liked him because he kept looking and staring at him (so cute). Whenever there is a baby around, he is close by making googly faces and talking baby talk. I can't wait to see him interact with our baby once he is born. He always calls him 'Cute Baby Boy' since we can't seem to come up with a name. And when there is any lull in conversation at dinner, that's the first thing he wants to talk about. Naming the baby.

Happy Birthday Nathan!! We love you!!

15 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a sweet little boy. I will have to remember the golden birthdays for mine. I had never heard that before.

Anonymous said...

Never heard of the golden birthdays either! Happy Birthday to your cute, cute boy!

donna said...

Oh what a cute boy. Happy Birthday Nathan!!!!!!!

Amie said...

What a cute boy. I love that the picture of him just days old looks just like him!

Happy Birthday Nathan!

Really no baby names yet?

jenny said...

What a cute. Happy Birthday Nathan!!

becca said...

Very cute! Happy birthday, what a sweet heart he is!

Shaila Lou said...

I can't believe it's been 6 years either. And Kathryn 7 next week...amazing, time flies. Great pictures! I already want to rewind time with Malcolm. I can't believe how big he seems.

Anna said...

Gotta love the cheesy Nate smiles. I still remember how you pulled a little sneaker and had Nate the last day of birthing class. Kurt was so jealous that Milo got out of going. How are our kids 6? Now as for the no named baby...Ive tried to help you.

Natasha said...

Six is a good age, I love my Luci at 6.
Sweet pics, esp. the black and white!

Liz said...

Happy Golden Birthday to Nathan!

Barb said...

Happy Birthday Golden-Boy Nathan!

Amy said...

Oh, how sweet. That reminds me of Kaitlin--she calls Alex "Sweet Boy" because that's what I call him. Isn't it cool how kids pick up on the things we say? Your Nathan sounds so sweet and adorable. I love the 5-6 age--still so innocent, but on the verge of growing up. Happy birthday to your golden boy!

Holly said...

6 years old! He is such a cutie Melanie. You guys have done well. Keep having em'! Easy for me to say, I've been fixed!

Jill said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet boy! He's quite a character.

Anonymous said...

Wow, happy birthday to your cute boy!