Thursday, October 25, 2007

Happy, Happy Birthday....

GraMimi Dear!
{happy days will come to you all year!}

{Milo's graduation (duh) 6-07}

Today is Milo's mom's birthday and most of the time around these parts we know her as GraMimi. Her name is Marion which for nephews and nieces translated to Mimi some time ago and when grandkids came along, GraMimi was born. It's a perfect fit for a nickname! Here we all are with her and some fun facts along the way.

{another blurry self portrait, I really need to get better at these. bad, flat hair for me on my birthday 9-11-07}
  • She is a fabulous, down home cook. Her food is hard to resist, ask Milo.
  • She has 5 kids. 2 boys, 3 girls (not in that order)
  • She has a soft spot for the grandkids, she can. not. tell them no. Nathan uses this to his advantage quite frequently. (ie. every Sun he calls and asks for dinner. And usually gets it)
  • She has a candy drawer (like every gma should) and now the lock can't keep the kids out.
{Kathryn's kindergarten graduation. 6-07}
  • She is an avid camper come reunion time in July. She loves it!
  • And has it down to a science. She camps with sheets and a comforter on her air mattress. You can't borrow her sleeping bag, it's cushion on the air mattress.
  • But if you need a flat iron, blow dryer, makeup, snacks, a jacket (cause you forgot yours), soap or lotion she's your go to girl. Anything you might need....she packed it!
  • She loves Halloween and is even dressing up this year.
  • She works very hard at her church calling.
{Nathan's 4th birthday 11-05. Love the Chicken Little glasses!}
  • She likes to give the kids one on one time and takes each one to spend the night at her house. They love it, they know who's turn is next and they talk about all they'll do with her. Dane's up next and he knows it if you ask him.
  • She loves to be early for pretty much anything and passed that onto Milo.
  • When she travels she'll get up at 3 or some crazy time like that and drive to Utah. So she gets there early (see what I mean).
  • She can fall asleep watching TV or movies pretty easy. (ask the kids)
{visiting her at work 10-07}
  • She is adventurous with her hair. She'll grow it out, just to whack it all off when it gets too flat. And she has nice thick hair. Can you tell I'm jealous?
  • She likes volume. Flat hair is not allowed.
  • I love her hair dark although that has been a recent (4 yrs or so) addition. She was blonde (really blonde) for years.
  • She lets the kids make messes, help her make cookies and cut up paper (for creativity) and well, you know, all those things that drive a mother crazy. She lets them be little (how sweet is that?). Something I have to work daily at.
{with Quinn, Malcolm and Dane. Nate was playing t-ball 5-07}

She is always covered in grandkids. She has 8 now with 3 more on the way. Can you believe 4 grandkids in 4 months? And so far the trend is boys, 3 girls (one only 2 weeks old) and soon to be 8 boys(!). And the craziness of grandkids running wild doesn't make her crazy. She just takes it all in and reminds us mothers to relax because they grow fast. I'm starting to accept that fact, they really do get too big, too fast.

She is a wonderful friend, always accepting me for who I am, flaws and all (that can't be easy). Have a wonderful birthday Marion! I love you!

13 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh wow...you got a wonderful mother-in-law Melanie. On the other hand, she got a wonderful daughter-in-law. Happy Birthday to Marion!

Shaila Lou said...

Sweet!! I'm glad someone got to post on her today. I've retrieved some of my lost posts!

The picture at Nathan's birthday...I swear Nathan does look like Chicken Little!! How cute!

I love my Mom, everything you say is true. She's the best Mother out there. Although I am biased!

Brenda said...

She sounds like the anti-Kent, as far as the grandkids are concerned (messes, noise, etc.). Actually, he took Preston, Carson, Sierra and Avery to the John Deer store in Othello this summer and he bought everyone a prize. It still amazes me! Sounds like you lucked out in the MIL department!

Anna said...

I have to agree on all that was said. I have to add though that she is an awesome aunt as well. Maggie now thinks she is GraMimi not Aunt Mimi now. Im sure she'd take one more grandkid. I love you Aunt Mimi and glad you are my aunt.

Laurie said...

You are blessed with a MIL like that. She sounds wonderful.

You are looking great Melanie!

Granny DeeAnn said...

Happy Birthday Marion. Thanks for being such a great mom to Melanie and a super Gma to our grandkids.

jenny said...

I love how you have so many photos with her and your kids. I wish I could say the same about Doug's mom. (maybe when we move back I can make up) Hope she has a wonderful birthday!

Barb said...

She looks like a very young grandma! Even for a grandmimi ;-)

::lindsay said...

What a nice tribute to your Mother-in-law. She sounds like an amazing mother and grandma.

Kristen said...

Yes, you do have a wonderful Mother-n-law! What a great post!

The Hiltons said...

She looks great, and sounds a lot like my mom.

Robyn said...

Your mom sounds like a wonderful person and a great grandma. That is so sweet that she does sleepovers! I bet the kids love it. Happy Bday Marion!

Bond Girl 007 said...

what a wonderful relationship you have...it sounds soo cool...she seems to be very fun and how cool to have soo many pictures....that means she is involved and there is love abundant.