(Love the boring title? It was the best I could do last night)Yesterday the kids had the annual Jog-A-Thon at their school. I love it because it is the ONLY fund raiser they participate in so it gets great results and not very much pain on a parent's end of the deal. I can't stand the thought of peddling wrapping paper or boxed up chocolates. I can safely blame my mom for that one, she hated them when we were little (we never participated).
Last year the Jog-A-Thon raised $17,000 dollars (this year's goal too). Pretty amazing if you ask me since our school is in a 'low' area (to say the least). The PTA buys the kids t-shirts (from lots of sponsor support) and water bottles and they all run together for 45 minutes. Gramimi and Brianne came down with Jayni and Mason to help cheer the kids on. Both Brianne and I thought the track was close in size to a real track. I'm going to ask someone because I think most kids were running miles once all their laps were added up (and loving it the whole time).
Last year Kathryn ran 14 laps and the highest number ran was 26. This year, 14 was the number to beat. For both Kat and Nate. Each class had a station and every they came to it they were supposed to stop and get a lap crossed off the back of their tag. Their class stations were across the field from each other so they didn't run together. But the funniest thing is that they both ran 17 laps! I'm glad too, I wouldn't want to hear the 'I beat you' over and over again followed by some tears (it would happen!). They both did a great job and it was actually fun to help out with Nathan's class. Kindergarten kids are so cute!
The 4 yr olds decided to have their own Jog-A-Thon of sorts. Jayni and Dane ran around this blanket over and over. I even heard Dane say, 'Let's have our Jog-A-Thon around the rug.' Funny kids.
Eventually, Kathryn came and took Jayni and Dane around for a lap. They wanted to keep going, they had so much fun. (sorry about the blurry pic, I had to hurry before they ran on!)
And if the look on Nathan's face doesn't say it all, THEY WERE POOPED!! I'm not kidding when I say they could have gone to bed at 6:30. I kept them up (crying) until 7, but by 7:05 all three of them were DEAD asleep. It was heavenly. And they slept until 7:15.Today was a busy productive day. I like days like today but it seems with this pregnancy that I have one good day where I get lots done and then it all tanks the next day. I'm hoping that's not the case tomorrow. I still have a list I want to get through. I did a highlight, picked the kids up for early release, 2 more haircuts (all hair was family so no flames), sewed a couple things, and actually made dinner on top of it all (I most impressed myself with making dinner. That's usually the first thing I give up). Milo was teasing me that I would be in bed by 8 but I guess you could call it some extra burst of energy because I haven't been that tired tonight. Knock on wood for tomorrow though.
Speaking of tomorrow, the kids are out of school for a Learning Improvement Day (whatever that means). I am so serious when I say we are laying low! Sweats, pb&j's and naps are on the agenda! Plus, I don't have much choice in the matter because when Milo went outside tonight he saw this....
27 comments:
Now that's a fundraiser! That's incredible how much they can earn...and what a good way to do it, too. Glad the weather was nice and it was a great day....and that they were pooped!
That sounds like a great fundrasier! $17,000 is quite a chunk of change too!
I wish our school would do something like that instead a different fundraiser every month!!! It drives me crazy!!
I hope you got all your stuff done with out crashing! That is the one thing about being pregnant, not ever as much energy as you need!
My good freind Jen. Her boys are doing the jog-a-thon.
Next sounds good. I will email you the days .
So sorry!!!!!
Nexts week sounds good!
I hate fundraisers too. Last year we did the stupid wrapping paper thing, wasn't too bad, just sent emails and people could order online. This year it was all cheesecakes and cookie dough and junk. Trev took the catalog to work and suckered a bunch of people into it. Not too painful but I still hate begging people for money. Sounds like you had a good night. Hope today goes as well. I remember having those on and off days too. Good luck!
Oh I hate fundraisers! So congrats on getting a painless experience out of this. I'm glad the weather was good, and that your kids went to bed early. Score!! I hope today is quiet and restful for you!
Brilliant idea for a fund raiser. I wish our school did something like that.
Yay for Milo fixing the tire. There is nothing worse than sitting and waiting for things like that.
Such a good pregnant mom to volunteer to help with a fundraiser. The highlights were appreciated by this family member!
i love the jog a thon pictures! What a great fund raiser (I HATE THE SELLING TOO!!)
I hope your energy kick stayed...I have one good..one bad...it is so hard to keep a good rhythm going!
What a bummer about the flat tire! UGG!!
I hope you had a good quiet day at home -- sometimes those are just the best days. Bummer about your tire, though.
I'm so impressed with $17,000 from the jog-a-thon! That's lots of jogging for those little legs. Our school doesn't do fundraisers, they just say if you all give us a check for this much, we won't have to do any fundraisers. And people pay up! It's blackmail or something, but it works. :)
That is a cool idea for a fundraiser.
I know what you mean about the day off, Luci has had the past 2 Fridays off - one for fair day and one for "end of the 1st 9 weeks."
what? 17k from a jog a thon!?!? im impressed!! i cant handle all the fundraisers that go on over here--but i guess the schools need money..
hope the tire gets fixed!
I always hope for a tie between my kids!
I always tanked after a productive day when I was pregnant, funny I'd forgotten about that. Sleeping in on a learning improvement day sounds like good timing to me.
I loved the jog-a-thon when I was young. L's school does one every year too.
Not having to go change the tire would make me so happy too.
Our school just did a walk-a-thon but I don't know how much money they earned. I can't imagine it was even close to $17,000. I get bugged by these fundraisers and would rather just give the money directly to the school.
How awesome is that? LOVE THE IDEA!
so sorry about the tire. been there and it stinks.
hope all is well!
Wow, those are some good little runners. Why do things seem so much easier when your young? I can't believe they ran that much, no wonder why they were so tired. Maybe you should do a jog-a-thon more often.
Jayni and Dane are so cute running around the blanket. I bet they thought they were hot stuff running with Kathryn!
Wow- sounds like a great fundraiser- we are always looking for new ideas at our school!
blessings,
kari & kijsa
We do a fun run each year. Isn't it crazy how much money they can earn like that? Fun photos!!
Sorry to hear about your flat tire! So glad that you don't have to take all the littles out to get it fixed!
The jog-a-thon pictures are so cute. That is impressive that they can run so many laps in 45 minutes! Kids must be in good shape!
I don't participate in fundraisers either...
Melanie, you are brilliant - I already told her this means she'll have to practise piano on Monday mornings before school, but helping make Monday dinner ahead is BETTER!
So awesome that your school made $17,000. Our school just had a fun run and only made $4,000. Pretty pathetic, huh. We just don't have a lot of parent support at our school.
That jog-a-thon looks like such a fun event for the kids, and a great way to get them tired for bed! :) It sounds like a great fundraiser, $17,000! That is awesome!
What a great fundraiser. I can't beleive you earn soo much money plus it keeps the kids active.
Hope you got your tire fixed. It is so not fun dragging kids to the tire store!
what a great fundraiser, although 17k for just those young kids...that is something. nice pictujres.
I like fundraisers like this too. Although, I don't really mind the wrapping paper one, because I like wrapping paper and it tends to be high quality paper. In fact, I still have some;)
I wish I could be as productive as you when I am pregnant. I shut down and get a pat on the back for even doing a load of laundry. I'm impressed you can stand and do hair for people. Wow.
17 laps?! That is some serious jogging! It sounds like a great fund-raiser -- we never participate in the wrapping paper stuff either.
Post a Comment