I started this post over a week ago and am finally finishing it. I'm starting to wonder if Reed hates blogging. He doesn't let me get very much done. Even when I tell him that I'm writing about him! I was going to back date it but here it is. With random photos of Reed's first few days.

On one hand I can't believe it's been two weeks since Reed was born and then on the other hand it feels like he's been here so much longer. I've been wanting to write how it all went down since Christmas but with recovering from his birth (I'm feeling so much better) and getting the decorations put away, it just hasn't happened yet.
I guess if 'birth stories' are not your thing, just scan the pictures (some of which I look quite scary in). I've never written about the other boys births (don't worry it wont get graphic) and I really want to write about his before I forget the details.
My mom got here on Fri night (12/21) and on Sat we had Kyle & Heidi here with their kids. My mom made her famous (to us kids anyway) clam chowder and we just hung out here all day. Heidi, my mom and I went out shopping to a few stores and they left just before dinner. When the kids went to bed, I convinced my mom we needed to finish our shopping that night instead of going out on Christmas eve. We left for Wal-mart (our only store remember?) at 8:30 pm. It wasn't that crazy thank heavens but we ended up being there until 11:20 pm! The whole time we were walking around I kept telling my mom that I was having contractions and to feel how rock hard my belly was. She was totally focused on Christmas and was like 'Yeah, yeah, I've had kids. I remember how hard it gets.' Thanks mom, now we know I was in labor!

Milo and I stayed up until about midnight and of course he fell right asleep. I was having weird pains only on my left side. After about an hour, I called Anna (yes it was almost 1 am!) and asked her if she thought it was labor. I have never gone in on my own, with both the other boys I was induced and never felt what the start of labor was. We talked about it and went back and forth with calling the hospital. I tried to wake up Milo and he said to do whatever I wanted as far as calling the hospital and fell back asleep. Why is it so easy for them?

Finally I called at 2:30 am and they said to wait another 1/2 hour (no idea why) and to then come in. At 3:30 I woke up Milo again and said we need to go in to the hospital. I was in so much pain on only my left side that I thought something could be wrong with the placenta or something like that. I took NOTHING with me (repeat...NOTHING) to the hospital but an attitude that we would be coming back home. I just wanted to be monitored to make sure everything was fine with the baby.

It went from getting checked out to make sure everything was OK to getting checked in as a patient. I was NOT ready. I did hair that last week before Christmas and felt fine taking the time to do that. I still had two whole weeks with plenty of time to take care of all that graced my list. Like I said before, I've never gone into labor on my own so I 'knew' I had plenty of time to get it all crossed off. So not true this time! On that Sat I was only focused on Christmas and finishing what needed to be done. I had BIG plans for the 26th. Take down decorations, highlight & cut my mom's hair, wash baby clothes and get them put away and maybe squeeze a nap in. Can you say....Yeah Right!!

When I first when in I was at a 2 and having contractions that were not consistent. 2 minutes apart then 5 then 3 then. The nurse wanted me to walk around for 30-45 minutes. Since always being induced and hooked up to pit I have never spent time 'walking' to get it all moving faster. I was so motivated that I got down to business! With my 2 hospital gowns on (to avoid over exposure and total embarrassment) and black dress socks and black shoes (classy I know!) I walked the stairs for 45 minutes. I started to feel like a lab rat because I just went in the same direction for that whole time. But oh well it worked! I would have gone home but was worried it would then happen on Christmas day and that would have been an even worse birthday.

As for delivery, everything went great. ONE push and he was here! And I'm not sure if it's because I went on my own or what but recovery has been much easier too. I was really worried coming home to 3 big kids but it hasn't been bad (yet). Milo and my mom have been great. She is doing way too good of a job staying up on the laundry. I told her the baskets are feeling lonely because they usually stay full for way too many days. I was shocked that it was over so fast. And at 8 lbs 15 oz, two weeks early was such a blessing.

It was so fun to have the kids come up to the hospital and meet Reed. During my pregnancy I worried that they would be wild and not careful but they were so good! And so excited to see him and me (that made me feel good. right away Dane told me me missed me, ahhhh). They didn't even know his name when they came into the room. And when we told them his name Milo and I both gave each other a 'look' making sure that we were both on the same page and that was really going to be his name. I'm so glad we found a name that fits him perfectly ( I was beginning to have my doubts because it took so long to settle on one).
~The kids brought Reed this dinosaur and they think he was looking at how cute it was, maybe he was~We came home from the hospital on Christmas Eve around 5 pm. Everyone at Marion's house helped out (a million thank yous!!!) and it was so great not worrying about where the kids were or who they were with. She fed them a great dinner on Christmas eve and then they met us at home. It was such a hectic time to deliver and if I were to choose a day, is it bad to say I would have chosen a couple days earlier or a couple days later? We did talk about 'moving' Christmas to a day later but just decided to push through all the wrapping and setting up that needed to be done. Thankfully, we made it through Christmas Day but it was tiring!
14 comments:
First off, yes I'm up way to late. I love the recap of Reed's birth. He's so dang cute and I just loved being able to hold him. There is nothing like a newborn for me. It is my favorite stage...just because I get to cuddle them so much. If only I could be so lucky to deliver in just 2 weeks!
Melanie, what are you talking about? You look great. You just gave birthe for heaven's sake! The photos are adorable, and you will forever be grateful that you recorded this day. I love birth stories! I was like you when I had Kaitlin. I went to the hospital fully thinking I was going to be coming home. I took nothing with me. Funny how denial can set in like that!
I'm so glad that it went so quickly for you and that your recovery is going well. What a great story!
OH you look so great.
Thanks for sharing this post with us :)
What a wonderful christmas gift your family had this year.
When-ever you feel up to it, Lunch at my HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love birth stories! You look FABULOUS in those pictures! And Reed is such a little cutie! I can't imagine delivering early and RIGHT before Christmas. It would definitly be tough! I am so glad your recovery has been easier this time, what a difference it can make! I am sure you have your hands full with four little ones now...not to mention the running the older two to school. That is the part that has me the most nervous. I know that this time I can't just hybernate with my newborn for the first few weeks...I will HAVE to be out and about for the sake of the other kids!!
I Love hearing about birthing stories! Yours sounded too easy:) I'm sure you left out some of the hard parts:)..so glad that you were able to go on your own (I have been induced with all of mine). I think it's great that you were home just in the nick of time for Christmas Day..although like you said a couple days earlier or a couple days later would have been better.
Reed is a handsome baby! i'm so happy for you and this just makes me so much more excited for my little guy to get here!!
Enjoyed your update!
Congratulations Bushman family to your new addition!! What a sweet blessing Reed is. Way to go Melanie for getting him hear early and healthy!! Hope everything goes well.
Ryan and Rischel
Im so glad to see the birth post up. Impressive that you get any blogging done. I started my blog when Dallin was close to Reed's age, where did the time go? I love all the pics of course, but I love seeing him in person more. You have handled being a mother of 4 so well. Remember when I called you everyday crying when I went to 2? We need a tiny little lunch or get together.
CONGRATS! Wish I could see him in person! I hope everything is going well for you and your cute family. Sounds like a pretty crazy holiday, but I am glad you made it through!
Jake
Great pictures, great story! Congratulations again!
I love birth stories! I went to the hospital to get checked when I still had two weeks to go with Eva. They decided to induce me right then, and I was like -- no!! I'm not ready! I'm glad you were able to get home in time for Christmas. I can't believe you arrived Christmas Eve evening and then were still able to get ready for Christmas morning! You're a superwoman for sure. Congratulations on that beautiful baby!
Oddly, my only "natural" labor was my first. My water broke. She came 2 weeks early as well and by far that was my easiest and best delivery. I guess there is something to be said for induction (I did that as well with the last three)
What a story! You look so great. I was puffy queen ick! I wish I would have captured more photos of the 1st bath, etc. So cute!
Congrats again! What a doll! I am so glad we got to see you while we were there. The kids are all getting so big. Hope everyone is settling in ok. Love ya!
You look great. Reed is so cute. I'm always late but I'm glad I got to read about the birth.
Post a Comment