Two days ago this started as a 5 for Friday post (I was so proud, it was going to be the first time I remembered to do it). I ran out of steam so Saturday I changed it to 6 for Saturday. And now that we are another day gone, I'm left with 7 for Sunday. You know, since more has gone on (not really but I'll pretend for blogging purposes).
1. We made it through our first week of dragging a newborn to school drop off and pick up. So far he's only hated it one day (screaming the entire time in the pick up line). I never took my babies out when they were sleeping or cranky but this little guy has to get in the car seat sleeping or not. I hope he continues to take it in stride (but I'm not holding out all hope on that one). Ah, the life of the 4th child. Drag 'em anywhere right?
2. The kids are home on a 4 day weekend. Three of which will be spent with Milo (yeah for lazy mornings! boo for no schedule of school and having to entertain the kids here. I fear I've lost my touch on that one). I'm all for teachers having a break (I was raised by one for crying out loud) but it seems that our teachers get
many, many breaks. Tuesday is a records keeping day (I think). I would much rather go without silly days off and get out of school before June 11th. June 1st would be preferable. Anyway, that's my rant on the public school system around here.
3. Nathan participated in Little Dribblers for the last 6 weeks. It was just learning (I'm using that term loosely) basketball skills and drills. Dribbling, shooting, running through cones, etc. Last night they 'performed' during halftime at the varsity high school game. I thought they would do a little more but really they just ran around cones for 8 minutes. But hey, anything to burn the energy of a 6 yr old right? Oh and the above photo isn't of Nathan's ball...his ball had a habit of being about 4 feet in front of him after he lost control. It was entertainment for sure.
4. All 6 of us stayed for all 3 hours of church today. I contemplated sending Milo and the baby home because we have lots of people in our ward that come to church sick. It's highly annoying to someone like me that doesn't like the spread of germs. Apparently that doesn't bother some people. I don't get it. Reed was banned from the primary room. There was WAY too many kids with coughs and sniffles for my liking. He got hungry and fussy with only 15 minutes left of church. I call that a success. I held him off until we were home (I didn't want to be the last one in the church nursing!) and after that both he and I crashed with a satisfying Sunday nap. I'm definitely loving our new time of 11:30. I'm sure that the 8:30 slot would have me showing up late nearly every week. Thank heavens for a later time with a newborn.
5. I have received some great Good Mail the past week or so (I have lost all sense of time).
Donna sent the cutest sweatsuit outfit. Jacket, pants with shirt and socks. I love it Donna. (No pic, it's in the laundry, ha! What isn't?)
Barb sent the cutest pair of jammies and the Christmas nativity from the old Friend magazine. She mentioned either late or really early for Christmas. I'm going with early since there is no way I would have finished it this year. Thanks Barb!
Jill sent the cutest (and I mean cutest!) thank you cards with Reed's name on them. I have many to send so they're perfect. Such a cute, thoughtful gift Jill, thank you. I love them! And
Melinda, I still haven't taken a picture of what you sent. I will though, he is so dang cute when he wears it! And right now, 10 pm on a Sunday night, I can't remember what else. But when I do, it will be in another post. The memory has taken a hit with Reed's arrival. Example....I always forget the diaper bag when I go out!!
6. This one brings me to hang my head. The other day going through some of my cards and papers to get Primary bulletin boards made, I found Thank You cards from my birthday (in September) that I have written on to each person and apparently never sent! What? Who does that? So I did write them, was whole heartedly sincere in writing them and then I never sent them. I think I'll send them even though it feels rude to be so late. Please don't be overly offended if you get one really, really overdue thank you note.
7. Today Reed is 4 weeks! How in the world? I know it goes fast, I've done it before. But when you're in the middle of it again it feels unbelievable. He is such a good, chubby cheeked baby. No he doesn't sleep through the night but after he eats in the middle of the night, it's right back to sleep (for now that is) so I can't complain. The kids are enthralled with him and I love to see their interaction with him. They always call me mama when they talk to him (I think it's so cute). 'You love your mama.' 'Your mama is pretty.' 'Your mama is holding you.' Most of it is cute because of tone of voice which you can't get in writing (obviously). Typing this reminds me that I need it on video, really it is so cute.
I'm finally hitting publish after 3 days of really wanting this post up! In writing I realize I have much more to say but Reed went to bed in a deep sleep and I must (even when I don't want to) take advantage of the sleep time. I really love quiet nights and I could stay up forever. I love being a night owl. Until I have to feed the baby at 3. Then it hurts.
21 comments:
Congrats on publishing this post! It's so funny that it started out as a 5 for Friday post. Whatever works I say!
It's too bad you're back to shuttling the kids to school. It seems like you shouldn't have to do that with a new baby at home, but there's really no public service to cover that is there?
I know what you mean about breaks for the teachers. My kids didn't get a 4 day break this time, just today for Martin Luther King day (dang it no mail!).
The Little Dribblers paragraph about Nathan is so funny. I can totally imagine him with the ball 4 feet in front of him as he ran around for 8 minutes, that's so funny.
I can't believe you're back to church already. It seems like you just had the baby, plus in the winter it seems like most moms quarantine their babies. I'm glad it worked out so well for you and that Reed made it until the last 15 minutes of church. What a guy!
I'm so glad you've been receiving good mail to celebrate Reed's arrival. I was struggling with what to send and finally opted for cards (hence their tardiness) and am so happy that you like them.
As for your birthday thank you's, don't sweat it. It's NEVER too late to send a thank you note. Plus you were pregnant and just misplaced them, that's an easy thing to do. I'm NOT pregnant, yet last week was frantically looking all over for a couple envelopes I needed to mail only to finally realize I had already mailed them at the post office. How's that for senile?
Could that comment have been longer?
Don't get me started about people bringing sick kids to church--I could go on for hours about it! Yesterday was my first Sunday back too, for the very same reason.
What a fun post to read about Melanie. That Reed is just the cutest.
I love the picture of Reid... he is SO cute.
How sweet that so many have sent you little gifts for Reid.
"Jill says" (in quotes because I seem to say that a lot in converstaion) it is never too late to do something nice... which includes thank you cards... because "wouldn't you be happy to get one" (in my Jill voice).
My two least favorite things about newborns--screaming in the car and having to disrupt their naps. Especially the naps. I try to keep nap time sacred, which is not so east to do when you have more than one child.
I'm with Jill, I can't believe you have him back at church. Are you guys are afraid of RSV as we are here? The doctors actually tell moms to keep their kids home from church until May! So, if you ever need an excuse. . .
And, as always, absolutely darling pictures of Reed. Such a sweetie!
Melanie, Reed is just SO cute! Every picture of him is adorable, and you will love these in just a few short years, when you can't remember what it was like when he was small.
I'm with Amy about the RSV. I've had to deal with that twice and it is nasty. Smart to keep Reed out of the primary room. We've been very blessed to not have much illness this winter, but now that we are in the deep arctic chill, who knows what will happen?!
Ah, days off from school. I completely agree with you and even suggest that we need to aim for getting out right after Memorial Day, and start school right after the fair gets over. I even talked to some teachers and asked them about this schedule, they were all for it! They all said that as soon as the pool opens, the kids lose all interest in school and those last two, or three weeks are like pulling teeth. Bummer.
Great post! I'm glad you had seven instead of just five!
Life sure doesn't slow down any for new babies, does it? It sounds like you are doing well! Love the pictures, he is a cutie!
It's good to know that the reason that we haven't even really got to see Reed is because of Beck's cough and it's good to know that you understand, but if the cough stays with Beck until Reed is walking we may have to discuss other options of hand sanitizer and face masks. :)
I can't believe Reed is already 4 weeks!! He has changed so much and looks so chubby! He's dang cute! I love the picture of him the the bath. I wish I was there to hold him again!
I have been looking for your new post! I know you have been very busy.
Hello, there are a lot of days off this y ear. My kids get this Monday off and next Monday off as well. Oh and there are some mondays off in Feb. Oh well at least they can help me do some house work. :) If i give them some $$$$$$
Glad you got some good mail for little Reed . Oh and i am so happy that the sweatsuit outfit fit Reed. ( Ryan help me pick it out)
I hope you have a wonderful MOnday and that you are able to get some rest!!!!!
Enjoy your cold weather !!!!
You are superwoman! Don't brag about it though, you'll make people feel bad. Love the little dribbler, we just signed Preston up for his 3 year of baseball. There's entertainment for you. Sounds like you're doing dandy! Go take a nap, you deserve it!
Those pictures are soo darn cute! I have thought about doing an 8 for Sunday post also. It is easy to get that many things to write about.
WE have soo many breaks for teachers here also. It is getting a little rediculous. THey have one friday off a month for "planing" days for teachers to plan their lessons. What the heck? This pushes us back to have to go to school for 2 days after memorial day. So dumb.
Sorry about the crying baby while taking them out. It is sad how fast you have to run them around with the other kids. But it has to be done!
With 4 little kiddos, I think you're doing pretty darn good, so don't give your self such a hard time. Reed is looking so big...and handsome, of course :)
Oh, and as an employee of the public school system, I think there aren't enough breaks :) (Of course I don't have 4 kids yet)/
He really is so beautiful. I can't imagine what it's like to have a newborn and trying to blog. It's hard enough without! I hope you continue on your beautiful transition.
Well, I guess if we don't talk in person, we can talk by blog right! I am currently playing "fetch" with the three dogs/girls that live with me and typing with the other hand, so we'll see how far I get. I love seeing Reed. Maybe I'll get to see him and hold him at your baby shower! Well, darn, the dogs/girls are up on my lap now-so long for know!
dang jills comment is forever!!
i totally missed out on this 5 for friday thing?? seriously is it a new blogging trend?!?!?!
impressed that you are back at church and for the WHOLE time!!
What a darling boy. I am glad the kids love him so much. I am a little worried about having to get back into the car pool swing of things with a new born.
You must seriously be anxious for a school routine. I hope Reed goes with the car seat thing and finds it relaxing. :-)
He is darling. I'm glad to hear he is back to sleep after you feed him. That is big. I'm having so many flashbacks with all this newborn talk.
I DON'T get it either - how much people love to give and receive germs. I'm shocked most of the time. I'm with you on that one.
How in the world is Reed four weeks old already? I guess I'll never acclimate to the passing of time, it goes so fast. I think the best thing about having a baby is the interaction the older siblings have with him or her. So so cute.
oh my-- great good mail and what a feat for your 7 for Sunday.
Great job! i don't even remember the first few newborn months, let alone running all over town with them!
yahoo for you!
Post a Comment