Monday, January 14, 2008

Sunday Tears

Sunday was a day of tears. All kinds of tears actually but most of them happy. And I wont lie, some of them hormonal. It was one of those great family days that you don't want to forget. Here it is in short form (with photos of course). And writing this post I feel like I could change the title to Monday tears. I'm getting them again just writing about it all.

We blessed (like a christening) Reed yesterday and that always makes for some tears. It was a last minute decision to do it this weekend before my mom went home. Milo did a great job, only choking up once (or twice). I love how fresh and new a baby feels and looks all dressed in white. So tiny, so innocent. And he was perfect the whole time at church. No crying at all.

Somehow we just became this family of 6 (yikes)! And seeing it in this photo makes it even more real. That's a lot of people. I'm not sure when I'll 'feel' grown up or what that entails but so far, I'm not there. I'm amazed that I have these kids to raise and take charge of (a dauntingly important task). I can't believe I've been married almost 8 yrs. I in no way feel like a 32 yr old. When do I start feeling 'grown up'? Have you?

Every time my mom comes to visit, I get teary the day she leaves. Every. single. time. But when I have a baby and she is getting ready to leave, I get teary for days before she leaves. This time was no different. It is so hard to say goodbye even though I know it's really a see you in a couple months. I am so grateful for the time she was able to spend here with us. I ended up having Reed just 2 days after she got here. Thank heavens for good timing! It would have been so hard to make it through Christmas without her. I was not in the mood and that was hard to admit. She cooked, cleaned, cuddled and worked the entire time she was here. Words will never be enough! Mom, thanks for all you did this 'Christmas break' because I know it was no break for you! I love you so much! Can't wait until spring break! (Can you tell she's a teacher and we work around school schedules?)

The kids adore my mom too. She plays with them, reads to them, bakes cookies with them and is much softer than mom or dad when it comes to the rules. But isn't that what being a grandma is all about? Thanks for all the grandma time too!

Now I'm just settling into this new role as mom of four (alone during the day). Mom of four! Let's hope we all settle in pretty quick.

31 comments:

Jill said...

I feel like anything new-baby related is tender, so baby blessings definitely choke me up. Whenever we have them at church I am in tears, and last Sunday while doing Sharing Time on The Plan of Salvation I was choked up talking about how a new baby in our ward was in the spirit world just 6 days ago! That's crazy to think about. Your little guy is so fresh from heaven, he's a tear-producing miracle!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Reed is just so sweet, Melanie. What a grand day. Your four little kids are so lucky to have you as a mom, you'll do fine when the shock wears off.

Amy said...

Melanie! You're making me cry! I hope you settle into the new mom life soon. It's amazing, as you know, but oh, so tiring. It's so mice to have a mother who comes and helps so much after you have a baby. It's also wonderful that she is a teacher and had a good amount of time off to help. I got my Mom for a total of four days after I had Alex! Luckily I was ready to have her go home . . .;)

Oh, and I have to say it again. Reed is amazingly gorgeous. Such a pretty baby!

Shaila Lou said...

Reed is already looking different. He looks like he's filling out even more. I'm glad Sunday was such a good day for you. The family picture is so cute. You look great, and I love your shoes. Wish we could have been there. I would definitely cried. I was tearing up reading it. And when Milo gets choked up...it always makes it worse for me.

::lindsay said...

I love the picture of your family...wow, 6 is a lot! It sounds like Sunday turned out to be such a special day.

You look great, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Melanie, your family looks so sweet! Even now, when I have two kids that don't live at home, I think to myself, I have 6 kids! When did that happen?!

I'm glad that blessing day was good for you! I'm glad your mom was able to be here for that. Another blessing!

Kristen said...

What a sweet post. I understand how wonderful it is having Mom around, it's the best!

You look great! The pictures were so cute of the baby all dressed in white, he is so handsome! I'm impressed that you blessed him already, that is wonderful!
You have a beautiful family!

becca said...

First, you look FANTASTIC! Second, what a little angel he is, I love all that hair. I hadn't really thought about it, but I am going to need a boy blessing outfit! I'm glad I checked your blog today, funny how many things I forget when I am prego.

I am so glad you had your mom to help you. Good luck managing this week...he really looks like such a sweet little guy!

donna said...

Oh Melanie what a wonderful post!
It is always so hard when moms leave. Moms are the biggest help. :)





You have such a cute family. I am so excited to meet Reed in the next few months :)

Brenda said...

Wow! I had a few posts of yours to read. The newborn pics are amazing, you have a gift! I never got too teary after the boys births. But after mom left me alone with Abby in San Jose, I thought I might die! You look great too btw. He's a handsome devil!

Barbie said...

Gosh, you made me teary!

Reed is so sweet. What a special time you got to share with your mom. God really does have good timing :)

Anna said...

Ok, I love Reed and I have to say he was one of the cutest baby's in white (next to my own of course) that I have ever seen. He is such a good little baby and really does radiant a sweet spirit. Think how lucky you are to have that in your home. You are doing great as a mom of 4. You make it look easy, remind me thats it not though. You know Ill help you with anything you ever need.

Amie said...

I love baby blessings, they are so tender. There should be tears.

You family looks great. You look fabulous. As my perspective changes "mom of four" seems huge! Good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

You look so good! Your family is so beautiful and Reed is just precious. My mom and mother in law are both such fantastic grandma's as well so I know what you are going through having her leave.

sunni said...

I loved reading your blog and seeing your pictures. You have such a cute family and Reed is so cute. I feel sad when you miss your mom because I know how that feels and now I really miss my kids. You are a wonderful mom. It was fun seeing you and your family. I love your mom too. Well, call me if you ever need a babysitter. I'm serious!!! Love, Aunt Sunni

Barb said...

Sadly, I do feel grown up and I think it is because I have a 14 year old.
Your family picture is so beautiful, and I think you are going to have TALL boys!

Korbi said...

wow Melanie. 6 is a lot. :) My family growing up only had 7 and now it's "7 + 1," but don't get Kortni started on that, anyways.... I thought 7 was a lot, but dang, you're like there already! I'll bet the blessing beautiful and I'm sorry that your mom is gone, I cry when my mom comes.... :) j/k kind of.

Liz said...

Oh, I know exactly how you feel about "not feeling grown up" yet. Seriously, I look at myself and wonder how is it possible for me to be the mother here, I don't know what I'm doing. Crazy isn't it! I hope things go well, now that you are on your own so to speak!

Christina said...

you have to remember your more of a mom of FIVE!! men are still babies sometimes!! heheh

who doesnt love sweet baby blessings--so precious...

i hope im a good kind of grandma that my daughter will write about me in her blog!!

Marie said...

I linked to you via Kelly's blog. She is my sister-in-law.

Congratulations on your new little baby! I loved all the pictures and kept reading post after post so I could see all the beatuiful baby photos. Reed is perfect.

Congratulations again for being a mother of four!

Granny DeeAnn said...

I miss my babies and all the others too. As a family we have been really blessed this year. Two darling heaven sent boys and 4 other of the cutest grandkids anyone could ask for. It's awfully dull and boring here in Vegas. I'm already looking for a Spring Break flight. I love you and know what a great job you're doing as a mom. Your kids show it. See you before you know it. Love, Mom.

Lucy said...

He is gorgeous and perfect! You have a beautiful family.

Price Cream Parlor said...

What a sweet day for sure! Being a family of 6 only hit me when we went out with the entire family long ago and I had to say - "table for 6" - that took me back! What a darling family you have! Reed is so stunning! Honestly, can a baby boy be stunning? Because he is! I am just starting to feel grown up now that I have a child that will be leaving the nest in a year and a half. Time really passes too quickly!Hang on - it is a great ride though!
So awesome that your Mom was able to come and stay! Mom's are the best! Especially ones that the littles love and adore!

michelle said...

Oh, I love baby blessings. New, tiny babies dressed in white -- what could be better? I'm so glad your mom was there to help you for so long, and that she really did help! (they don't always quite get it) I'm 36, and I still cry every time my mom leaves.

jenny said...

Soon 4 will seem like 3. And you seem to be handling it all like a champ.

What sweet, sweet photos of baby Reed. You look so great and love your new family photo!

Melinda said...

Those are such great pictures! Reed is so darn cute. I still don't feel old enough to have 5 kids. I still feel like 19 when I got married. Jason and I will sit and look at the kids playing and wonder how we got to this place!

You will do great as a mom of four. It just comes and you know what to do. Plus you have great kids who will help out also.

Anna said...

Thought you were working on a post....I guess you lied, or Baby Reed wouldnt comply. I am still checking your blog.

amy gretchen said...

Tearful sunday indeed. Baby blessings are so very special and one of the things I look forward to with a new little one. congrats! Adore the family photo.

Robyn said...

Waterproof mascara! That is all I have to say. I am always emotional and hormonal on those days. It's such a milestone... and with your Mom leaving too... you had no chance. That must have been a great visit for you.

Holly said...

That is about the cutest dang family I have every seen. You guys are absolutely adorable together. Maybe it helps that I know how awesome you are. 4 kids is a lot of work and you are doing a GREAT job Mel! You are lucky to have Aunt DeAnn as Mom/Grandma...she is special to us too! Just take it one day at a time for now...you'll make it! Miss you!

Laurie said...

30 comments?! I am so behind. Let me just say how darling the baby is with his white outfit and that gorgeous blanket. And Kat - her dress is to die for - I love it!! Such a sharp family. Yay for you!!