This is one of my favorite photos of President Gordon B Hinckley. I love his smile and how happy he looks. He always looked like this to me. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention this on my blog for the sake of journaling. I know many others have and because I love our prophet too, he gets a post here as well.This weekend was our stake conference and our stake was to be reorganized. We had Elder Ronald Rasband and Elder Brinkerhoff here as the General Authorities to take care of that responsibility. Milo and I went to the adult meeting on Sat night and it was there that Elder Rasband talked of President Hinckley. He said he was feeling the effects of being in his 98th year but still was forging ahead with the Lord's work. He talked of passing him in the tunnel every morning around 7 am and while President Hinckley rode in the golf cart, he would hold his hair down on the sides so that it wouldn't get messed up. I could totally see him doing that.
Kelly posted one of my favorite quotes from him (I'm sure I couldn't count all my favorites) and she said it best. A favorite is a favorite so I'm posting it here too."Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he's been robbed. The fact is that most putts don't drop. Most beef is tough. Most children grow up to be just ordinary people. Most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration. Most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. . . Life is like an old-time rail journey--delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."
- Gordon B. Hinckley
- Gordon B. Hinckley
He will be greatly missed and he has left a huge legacy. And when he spoke I felt the message was for me. I know I'm not alone in that, he connected with all people, often millions at a time during conference. His outlook on life is one to honor and imitate. I'm so grateful to have been growing up in the gospel (a work always in progress) during the time he was so prominent in the church. I cannot deny my blessings from all he has done for the church and for me.
18 comments:
I loved the visual that the story painted for me, too, Melanie.
That Reed is so darn cute, it was fun to see him Saturday night.
Melanie that quote is fantastic! I don't even remember hearing it. I got a sneak peek at Reed at the Saturday night session... he's adorable and you look great!
That is a cute story about the hair in the golf cart. He was so real and such a good example. I have been loving the quotes on other people's blogs. As a YW worker I especially appreciate the strength he has been for the youth with his 'B's.
I had never heard that quote and I just love it! I'll miss him, but as Heather said to me today, he went to all his meetings last week and was only home for 2 days before he passed. The man deserves a little R&R!
I'm so thankful that he has been the Prophet for most of the time that I can remember. I was to young to remember many others. What an amazing man!!
I love that quote Melanie! I liked that story about his hair too. He is such an amazing person and will be missed.
that was sweet-great quote!
Melanie,
Great post. Thanks for sharing. So many have posted beautiful thoughts of him. Yours has added to those that have helped me remember and be grateful for what he was to us in leadership and example.
I love that photo too! And that quote is such a great one, and one I don't remember having heard before. I too felt like I had to do a post about him, no matter how many others there were. My blog is my journal and I just had to express thanks for this great man!
I am so glad you told of what Elder Rasband said about pre. Hinckley. That was great. Elder Rasband's daughter is a good friend of my hubby.
I love that quote.
I am loving all the President Hinckley posts... I still need to do one.
such tributes to read this week. wonderful that you included it.
He was certainly a treasure. I enjoyed his humor and how he was so straight forward about issues. I loved his smile and his laugh. I loved that he was so over the top in love with his beloved! What a great example he was to all of us. He will be greatly missed!
That quote has to be one of the best to help get the right perspective that was ever given!
I wasn't going to blog about it either, but then I thought, later I'll want it on my blog so I did.
Reed is very cute and how quickly they grow up. What a fun Christmas gift.
My parents used to have that quote up on a bulletin board by the phone in the hallway. I loved reading it and it often brought me comfort when things weren't just...so.
I hope you are doing well.
Your title is by far my favorite. Lovely thoughts. Thanks for sharing them!! How are you feeling?
Post a Comment