Thursday, February 21, 2008

Funky Teeth, Baby Feet, the iPod master & Granny

Totally random title, I know. It's all I've got tonight. I guess I could have said 'Load of Randoms'. Either way here it is.

Today I trekked with all four kids to the dentist and no other adults came along (I have to start sometime right?). I've mentioned before that we head out of town for a pediatric dentist about 75 miles away. We all came home TIRED! We put the kids to bed at 7:20 and not one of them got back up for ___ or ___! Not even Dane. Unheard of.

What started me on this 'need' for a pediatric dentist was the fact that Nathan was born with 'funky teeth'!! That's what they've been affectionately called now ever since they erupted over 5 years ago. When his bottom teeth started coming in they were two very tiny teeth. I called Heidi (dental hygienist & sister in law) all concerned (read....freaking out!) because I was thinking how in the world teeth could be that small. She calmed me down and said to wait it out while they were growing in. Well when they finished coming in, we could tell it was only one tooth. What in the world?

His first tooth (or is it teeth?) is the one on the left. They are fused baby teeth. When the teeth were forming they never officially split from one another. So his 'two' teeth there just have one little notch at the top and now look like one rather large tooth. Then the next 'set' was born. They look like 2 teeth on the top but have enormous roots grown together at the bottom. I don't post all this to gross you out (sorry if it does) but I thought when he went in today we would talk about when to pull these suckers out. They won't come out on their own because one permanent tooth cannot push the likes of these out. And the other issue being the baby teeth are not leaving 'channels' for the permanent teeth to follow as they grow. But our dentist said it still isn't time because the other teeth don't look even close to the surface. So far the kids have gotten their teeth late therefore probably will lose them late. I've always thought I would want these teeth gone but really, I've grown accustomed to his funky teeth. And when they're pulled, that will mean he's getting old. Sigh.


Reed got the cutest socks at his baby shower from my friend Elaine. Six pairs of socks, all different colors (the girl ones are Mary Janes and are so cute). Now that they fit, I want to pick out the socks first and then the outfit. I hate baby socks that slip and these never do! He was in the swing last night and I saw his tiny little feet hanging there in these socks and I just had to have a picture of his sweet baby feet.

Milo (the iPod master around here) has been wanting to get me an iPod forEVER! In fact he did buy me a nano Christmas of '06 and when he knew I really wanted a camera, he returned the iPod and got the camera (Thanks!). So this Christmas he was determined, he bought me the cute purple shuffle for going to the gym. I hate to say it (he already knows this) but when I opened it 2 days postpartum I wasn't that excited about finally getting an iPod. In fact I almost returned it but decided I should give it a try this time. A couple days ago he took it upon himself to load it on my computer AND even loaded some of my music on it. I must say, I've been converted. Yeah, I know there are 5 year olds out there that know the beauty of an iPod and I'm just getting around to it but who cares! I finally made it. It was great to have at the gym this past week. Thanks Milo, it might have been May before I got around to plugging into the computer and then maybe by July I would have the music on there!

I can't believe I'm posting this but my mom has started a blog! What in the world? She has come full circle in the world of blogging. It started with her telling (lecturing) me I was wasting too much time on here. Then it evolved into her telling me to post more and why did I miss SPT that week. Now we've stalked most anyone we know (or can find) and she has decided it's her turn to start a blog. A big welcome to her and to Heidi. Both of whom are blaming me for their blogging addiction. Oh well, I like bringing others to the dark side.

20 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Your mom? NO WAY! Milo's next and then the sky is going to fall in! I remember when she and Milo were giving you such a hard time. Hooray! And welcome to the world of blogging "Granny"!

So glad to hear about the iPod business. Calvin got me one (eeeks! eight months ago)and I haven't even opened it. You've inspired...no, compelled...me to get it uploaded. I thought, "it's too expensive" but it's too late to return it so I just need to get it out and use it and show him I appreciate it.

Amy said...

Melanie! I am so glad you've finally entered the iPod world. Whatever did you do at the gym before you had one? It'll change your life!

I love those socks! Whoever came up with the idea to make socks that look like shoes for babies is a genius. I can't help but smile when I see babies wearing those.

carlo said...

very creative title!! love it.

yay on the darling socks and ipod

boo on dentist visits. how interesting that the teeth were fused together??

love your documentation, complete with the shadow box around the teeth. he will think that is too cool when he is older, i bet!

michelle said...

Interesting on the funky teeth, I've never heard of fused ones.

Love baby socks that look like shoes. Really love socks that don't slide right off!

Hooray for loving your iPod! I remember when Marc first got his, shortly after they came out, I just did not get the appeal. Now I do.

Wow on your mom starting a blog! If my mom ever did that, I think I would faint dead away.

Melinda said...

Jason got me an ipod also for Christmas and I still haven't opened it! I dont' know how to load it and I am still waiting for help. Pretty sad.

My daughter had two teeth fused together also! My dentist told me he had never seen it before, only in his textbooks. I can't remember now if she has lost those teeth yet or not. They were two molars.

Barb said...

That purple shuffle is so cute. I don't have an ipod yet, so you are not the last woman on earth to get one!
I think you will always be glad that you posted about the funky teeth, they will be gone before you know it!
Those baby socks are the cutest ever. Maybe I had my children too early, because I missed out on so much cuteness with the new fashions!
I am surprised and impressed that you converted your mom. My parents have a long ways to go. They dont' even read my blog despite the fact that I've put it in their favorites in their internet toolbar!

Christina said...

hilarious that your mom would be ruffled that you missed SPT!! i love it!! ive brought MANY to the dark side...

iPod's are fun--right now i just have keith urbans entire CD and carrie underwood's--

those socks are DANG cute-i love that they DONT FALL OFF!!

interesting about the teeth-this must be dentist month..seems eVERYONE is trucking off to see the smile man!

Heidi said...

Isn't the ipod great at the gym? I love listening to my own music instead of the lame stuff they play. I'm glad Milo hooked you up!

Should we be nervous about what your Mom will post on her blog?! :)

And Nathan's lucky he can wait a bit longer before getting those "funky" teeth pulled. I'm sure he's glad. It will be a "two for one" for the tooth fairy.

becca said...

First....Reed is so dang cute!! I love it when babies start to smile!

I have never heard that about baby teeth before...very "funky"!

I LOVE my ipod...it really is something you will love and wonder why you waited so long!

Laurie said...

I'm not good about knowing what music I want on my iPod. I haven't used it in a while. I guess you aren't the only one slowly taking in this technology.

Those are darling socks. Who makes em?

Yay for blogging moms. I wish my mom would.

Anonymous said...

Teeth issues are always a pain. Jared had an extra tooth which was pulled and it has yet to come in. I think he is the only eight year old without the "big" teeth.

I think half the battle with the ipod is downloading the music. IT seriously takes FOREVER, but always so worth it. Yay for Milo downloading some tunes to workout too. Okay and those socks....SO CUTE! I wish they would have had those when mine were small!

Anonymous said...

Oops that was me.

Jenny :)

Shaila Lou said...

Way to go taking all for to the dentist!! I'm still a little nervous with 3. Haven't ventured much further then going walking with all of them.

I always forget about Nathan's teeth, you would never know, unless you were shown.

I didn't even know that Milo got you a shuffle. I love having an ipod. Especially for working out with. Although it's not really useful for aerobics!!

How funny that your mom started a blog...I'll have to go leave her a comment. Welcome to her and Heidi!! Always fun to have more family in the "world" with us!!

Elizabeth said...

That is awesome you Mom started a blog. Proof of how addicting it really is.

Anna said...

Poor Nate outed on the internet about his uni-tooth. Oh well, he is cute. I love Reedus' socks. I cant believe your mom started a blog. Thats awesome, if my mom did you know where would freeze over!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe your Mom started a blog! I've been wanting to but all the names I want to use are taken such as; "There Was an Old Woman", "Old Mother Hubbard" are the two I'd been thinking about. Way to go Deanne!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe your Mom started a blog! I was wanting to, too, but all the names I want are taken. "Old Mother Hubbard" or "There Was an Old Woman". Any ideas? Way to go, Deanne!

Anonymous said...

Woops! I published it twice! Maybe blogging isn't my thing!

Becky Noftle said...

I love ipods, I just have to have Sammi remind every time how to turn it on, then when I get done how to turn it off. Was an "On" "Off" button totally uncalled for. Looking forward to reading Granny's blog, I knew her way before she was Granny, or Mommy for that fact! That was the olden days of horse drawn carriages and Aunt DeeAnn ratting your hair up to bouffant (sp) hairdo's!

Liz said...

Wow, those are some interesting baby teeth! And I thought we had troubles with missing baby and permanent teeth. Well, actually we still do, lots and lots of money and years before that problem gets fixed. Anyway, what an interesting phenomenon to have fused teeth.

About the ipod, we just barely got one, it isn't even opened yet. Ben wanted it for his birthday, but now he wants a bigger memory one. So I might just get a shuffle, since I don't need something huge. I am glad you are liking it!