Thursday, March 20, 2008

Baby Gets a Haircut

Before anyone reads this and freaks out that I cut my almost 3 month old babies hair, remember I've cut hair for 12+ years and if I was meant to NOT cut babies hair, mine should have been born bald.

It's crazy that I actually let Reed's hair get this bad before I cut it. I was trying to hold out until my mom got here (she'll be here tomorrow) but after this weekend, I just couldn't. Shaila was rubbing his head one time when he was crying in the car seat and hair was left behind on her hand. That was my last straw. I cut it Sat night after getting home from TOFW. Probably not the best timing but I'm not usually known for that, ha. He was so, so mad at me for laying him on his stomach and taking this picture. Oh the little patch in the back was so bad, it looked like a Groucho Marx mustache!! And the top resembled a toupee (I'm dead serious).

He's not exactly sure why I'm being this rude to him but he is about to find out. Poor boy.

Milo manned the camera and I love this first one. If you blow it up (ignore the mess behind me and the non matching ensemble) you can see his sad face in the clippers. That was not planned. And I had no idea I was smiling though his cries. Such a mean mom.

But the mustache had to go. He actually did calm down and sat really good. I did trim the top (I couldn't resist) because the ends were starting to be crazy fluffy like. No picture of that. Milo had to hold him while I cut. I didn't torture him anymore with right after photos. So here are a couple from the last couple days.

I have this old school swing that I just can't get rid of. Both Nathan and Dane loved this swing and Reed does too. My mom used to ask for pictures of Nathan when he wasn't sitting in the swing because he loved it so much. It's not as safe now with older kids giving him a high push but he loves to take naps there.

Today I realized that I wake him up from at least 2 naps a day. Sometimes 3. I feel so bad. I get a little panicky wondering if this is all going to backfire and I have a kid that doesn't nap or if he will just end up being a go with the flow drug around kid that sleeps anywhere (a girl can dream). What do you think?

Such a sweet boy after his bath. I love, love this towel Amie sent me. Thank you Amie!! He was getting too big for the baby bath towels and they soak up little to nothing. It's so fluffy and warm. He loves it too, except for when I take it off of him. Then he gets cold. And pees on me.

19 comments:

Anna said...

Reedus, Reedus gets a hair cut. I love the pic of him in the clippers and his mom with the crazy hair dresser grin! He looks cute. He is starting to look way older. Im warning you make it stop!

Shaila Lou said...

I just finished a post and saw yours. I've been waiting for these pictures. I thought maybe they would make me brave to cut Winston's hair too. He's serious sporting a toupee also. But cutting it at only 6 weeks...I just doing know. The other boys, it was at least 3 months. I guess that's what happens when you have kids with hair.

Reed looks so cute. I love how you described his patch in the back, it made me laugh. I can't believe how big he's getting! Love the pictures of him just giving into the haircut!

Brianne said...

I'm so terrible but I think he looks so cute getting his haircut. I don't think it's terrible that you cut his hair. You cut Mason's hair when he was 2 1/2 months and it was SO long! It was hard though.

Leisha said...

I can’t believe how much Reed looks like Nathan in the crying picture. Reed has his own look but that picture looks just like Nathan to me. Out of all these babies I think Emma is the one with the least amount of hair…poor girl.

donna said...

OH Reed looks so cute!!!!!!!! What a great Hair- cut Mr REED!

Gerrit & Ashlee said...

Melanie- I think we've know each other for almost 2 years??? and I just finally saw a picture of you! So I wanted to stop by and tell you hi! and congratulations on your new little one! I hope things are going well for you guys- check out our blog some time and there's one for treasured thoughts- feel free to link either one to yours!

Carolyn said...

Oh Melanie. I showed Brent the mustache picture and he wondered why on earth you would give Reed a hair cut like that. He just didn't understand. Haha. Reed does look pretty cute. (And I want a fluffy towel like that! Warm!)

Jill said...

His hair is so funny, it's great that you gave him a haircut already. The sad face reflected in the clippers is too cute.

Korbi said...

sounds like you had a lot of fun on your trip. Lucky gal. Now if I could just pop this baby out in time to get a passport for her to get to Mexico..... And Reed's hair looks SSSOOOOO much better! :)

Holly said...

His first haircut! An exciting day for sure...especially for a hairdresser! He looks adorable! I love that you are smiling through his screaming...last night Heather and I highlighted Kylies hair, and were laughing hysterically as the bleach was making her eyes burn, and she was whining that we were huring her head. I guess I am a mean mom too.

Christina said...

oh my goodness--too cute..i lOVE the 2nd to last photo..

wow-who knew you could cut babies hair?? my girls all had the "rub on the bed" bald spot on the back of their heads...

Laurie said...

I love that you have cutting skills for all those boy heads. I sure wish I did!! It's so funny how their hair sprouts on top and goes bald in patches. It's so nice when it fills in.

Love the towel Amie sent.

Liz said...

Love your discription of his hair before the haircut. He looks pretty cute with the new do!

Anonymous said...

I love all the pictures! He is such a cute baby! I'm glad I can keep an update on you every now and then through your blog! And I hear you on getting pee every where!

Robyn said...

Oh so cute! Reed looks adorable with his new cut. If I were you, I couldn't resist either. Newborns have strange hair patterns, if you ask me. I think it's funny you were smiling when he was upset b/c sometimes when my kids are all worked up like that, I actually think they look cute and can't resist a little chuckle either.

Bethany said...

You know that I'm all for giving boys haircuts at an early age! I can so sympathize with you on that weird patchy newborn hair...that's how Roman's was, but I did love the mustache haha! His little haircut looks cute.

becca said...

So cute!! He is just a doll! I love that you already cut his hair. My sister (also a hair dresser) is the EXACT same way and I think cut her son's hair by 2 months!

Barb said...

The reflection in the clippers is amazing!
You chose a good career for a mom. My children are usually poorly coifed, somehow I don't notice that until we're sitting in Sacrament meeting.

michelle said...

Wow! I've never had a baby that needed a haircut! Our first ones were always about 17 months...

I love the photos, it's a great thing to have documented. And his first haircut turned out very cute! He's lucky to have a mom who can cut hair.