Just the randoms today. Not much more to report than that except it was SNOWING today and it's freezing!! I am not happy about the latest weather development around here. It's spring for crying out loud and I'm beyond ready for it. Beyond! I want green grass and tree blossoms. Flowers too.
In January we started to read the
Book of Mormon as a family every night (I'd say so far we have a 75% accuracy and we're working on getting it higher). In the past we have always read the illustrated version and since the big kids are reading now we went to the real deal. I'm still a bit torn on it. I think they get more out of it when we read the one with pictures, especially Dane. But reading the actual Book of Mormon is irreplaceable. Granted some nights we only finish 5 verses, one for each of us but I tell myself that's better than nothing. And even that has been known to take close to 20 minutes. Not kidding! Dane is by far the worst with sitting still at 7 pm. He reads his verse by repeating what we say and he draws it out as long as possible. There have been many eye rolls when it's his turn. And they're not from Milo and I.
I'm pretty sure it will take us into the year 2012 before we finish the whole book but it's the habit we're forming, right? So do we go back to the illustrated version for now or do we stick with only 5 verses of the real thing?

Which brings me to this picture. While we were reading I looked up and saw the boys crowded around their daddy and it looked so cute. My camera was sitting right next to me on the coffee table so I grabbed it and took a photo. They didn't even notice until the flash went off and they all looked at me like I was a little weird taking their picture during scriptures. So I guess no matter how long it takes or how much they get out of it, we'll carry on. For the record, we have made it as far as 1 Nephi chapter 14.

Milo has been working out of town again this week but we're lucky enough to get him home every night. On Wed night he stopped at Costco and picked up a few thing we needed. I love stocking up on meat from there and knowing I have it in the freezer. The next day Dane found the box they packed all the food in. I just have to say THANKS Costco!! Dane played with this box forever yesterday. It was a shield, a boat, a car and a chair. Here he is watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with his Turtle van parked next to him. So funny, I guess they wanted a break to watch TV too.

Then a little later he came up to me and said, 'I wrote my name on my chair so everyone can know it's my seat.' So I went over there and sure enough he wrote his name on the back of the box. I've been working on getting him to write it but he usually tells me he's too little to do a good job and gives up. He tells me he'll try another day. I guess he's been listening/watching because this looks pretty good to me. I love their letters when they first start to write. So crooked and cute.

Some time ago Dane was feeling bad about not having a 'teacher' or 'school' that he went to every day. So frustrated with his early morning whining and crying after we dropped them off I told him I was his teacher and his school was right here at home. That's right isn't it? Anyway some days he would ask for me to give him homework and to pack his lunch in a lunchbox. Of course I indulge this play, it's actually really funny. So yesterday was class picture day and while the kids were getting ready Dane told me that he needed his class picture taken too. One with his teacher. He even sprayed his hair soaking wet and combed it himself. He wanted it all spikey for the picture. I am seriously going to miss this kid when he goes to school. Good thing it isn't for another year and a half.

Our stake just did a production of Joseph this week. It was SO good. I have always been a sucker for a good musical (thanks Mom!) and this did not disappoint. Marion and I took Kathryn and Nathan and left Reed and Dane home with Dad. Nathan only got antsy on the last song so I'd call that a success. I have seen it once before (remember Angie?) and it has been a favorite ever since. I wanted to break out in song the whole time I was watching it. Don't worry, I didn't. But, I
have been singing it all day around here. And I think it's sticking. Tonight when Dane was going potty before bed he started singing, 'Go, Go, Go Joseph, you know what they say'. And he wasn't even there! Now I'm in musical mode and I think I might be the only one that's appreciating it. Tonight more than one kid told me to stop singing. They'll just have to deal with it until the 'musical' phase wears off again.
Not much else this weekend. Just laundry. More laundry. And dishes. And bathrooms. And, well you get my drift. Nothing exciting.
25 comments:
Melanie, I LOVED this random post. I promise, I would appreciate hearing you sing and wouldn't tell you to quit.
I love Dane's name...and box...and spikey hair...and ninja suit.
We plowed through the real deal of the Book of Mormon like you are when the kids are little and I am so glad we did. It took us a few years the first time and when we finished I asked Calvin, "What next?" and he said, "We need to start over." Argh...obviously he hadn't remembered how long it took, but we started over and each time we finished we started over again. It has been an invaluable child-raising tool and really, really added to their abilities to read and comprehend in school, too. So, go Mel, go!
Ooos, sorry, I forgot. That picture of Milo in the chair with the boys and their own books is the best.
Im so impressed in the BOM reading endevour. Dane and his school is so funny, but that kid is funny. Glad to see a post, but even glader we went out on the town last night, even if it was with all the kids-and wow, there are lots of them now. They were all real good though, and remember 2/3 of them are yours! Crazy, huh?
Dane is so cute! I love how he did his hair for "picture day". I can't wait to see you guys this summer!
Now I feel guilt that we only do the illustrated BOM. Sigh. I love all the stories about Daner. He sounds exactly like Carson. I'm happy and sad for you at the same time. I think you understand why.
Ok, so here's some random comments.
I could not believe the snow either!! I was at lunch with a friend and seriously, when I looked outside the window and saw the snow, I was like, that's it, I have to go back to bed. Seriously.
I remember those days of reading. Ugh, so painful. But as our dear friend Jane says, it is always worth it in the end. It was the same for us, taking 3 YEARS the first time we read it. Crazy. But my boys love the BOM now and NEVER miss a day of reading. Still working on the girls.
Dane is adorable. I love that he put his name on his "chair". And the picture with his teacher, priceless. Maybe when he actually takes pictures at school, he will look great, with his hair combed and clothes cleaned. Good luck!
Joseph was so amazing!! I went and saw it twice, I know, taking up a seat, but my daughter was one of the dancers, so I felt like I needed to go just to watch her. I had no idea some of those actors had it in themselves to be so out there! Awesome!! I know how you feel about the singing also. All the women in the house went and everyone is singing go, go, go Joseph. But that is the only part we know. It is a little annoying. Even Tess is singing it. Poor Terry. We are now having a party to watch the movie version of it with Donny Osmond. Want to come?
The more the merrier!
I laughed so hard when my mom said it was snowing. She ALWAYS rubs in in when I get snow...it was my turn. Don't tell her it hasn't been very warm the last couple of days. ha
Oh good job on reading the scriptures. Yay for you! That picture is so adorable. You have a darn cute family.
I miss Dane!! (And Kat and Nate too. And probably Reed if I knew him.) His name looks so good. I am really impressed. I'm going to have to write him a letter and make him write me back! :) I saw a HUGE box at Staples today and asked Brent if we could have it to play in. I don't think its going to come home...haha.
I love the random posts! I also loved the easter pictures! I cannot get over how big Reed is...what a cutie!
We struggle with reading the Book of Mormon as a family. I read to my girls out of one that is in story form...they just don't do well with the verses. But I too struggle with what is better, i feel like we are cheating with the story form, but then at least the girls retain a little bit. Such a struggle!
Those Easter pics are adorable! Your kids are too cute. And those dimples.... :) I agree, the Joseph play was amazing and I was so excited to see it. It passed by too quickly for me, all of a sudden it was over. Next time your kids tell you not to sing, tell them that they'd rather hear you sing than Kortni and Korbi put together.... :)
Milo with the boys is really cute! We've been reading the B of M since about last Sept. I decided I like reading from it better then the pictures, only for the fact that I hope they learn to love the language of the scriptures! Oh and since having Winston, we haven't been quite so successful with it all yet. I just want to get the kids to bed...so bad I know!
Way to go Dane on his name!! I also love to see there cute little letters they write! He did a great job his hair! And I love how he plays school! That is very cute and such a good idea on his part.
I so wish I could go to the musical too! I love the music, but have never seen it. How fun it would be to watch!
Melanie,
I have to tell you that I would stick with the real deal of the Book of Mormon even if you only read 5 verses a night. Let me tell you, we have been reading FOREVER, and we have been in Alma for probably 2 years! But, the kids love to read by themselves or with help (repeating what we read), even Jared and he is only 2! SO keep it up!
What a sweet boy.
And the kids look so cute on Easter!
I think sticking with the actual Book of Mormon is the way to go. The kids will get used to the language and will have a love for the scriptures. It's wonderful you're doing this! I think you're very brave to do it at the end of the day, I'm always so spent. We read in the morning right before the kids leave for school and that has been going really well. We're progressing very slowly and may finish by the time Landon graduates high school, but we're doing it!
It's so cute that Dane wrote his name on the box and that he wanted a class picture with you. That's awesome.
You guys might finish the BOM faster than Kyle and I!!! ha! j/k :) That is funny about Dane and his picture with his spikey hair. He did a good job writing his name. The letters do look so cute when they first write.
Yeah, it snowed a few inches here today after it hailed!!!! Where is this weather coming from??? Maybe they'll cancel church? :)
what a cute picture of you hubby and two boys reading the Book of Mormon.
We hope to finish the B of M ( as a family ) this year.
OH how sweet that Dane wanted a class picture. So so cute. Enjoy those times. They grow up so fast.
Love Joseph, in fact we have the Donny Osmond version in Video tape form(so old school) and the girls will get on kicks where that is all they want to watch! Love the scripture reading picture--our scripture reading isn't nearly so non-violent. I have the the "Book of Mormon for Families" to be the perfect in "betweener". The 'real' scriptures but with extra photos and details at the bottom to help explain to kiddos.
Good for you guys with reading the Book of Mormon. It can be so hard with little kids sometimes.
I loved Dane's handwriting. Too cute!
I think scripture-reading is an individual family choice, whatever works for you! We read the illustrated ones until Max was 6 or 7, I can't remember, then we switched to the real deal. I thought it was pretty cool that he had gotten through the whole Book of Mormon by the time he was baptized! And by the time he got the priesthood, he had also read the D&C and the New Testament. Because our kids vary so widely in age, we read with them individually, so Lucas was still on the illustrated ones until he was 6 or 7. Now we read the scriptures with them together. Eva is on the illustrated! Eventually we'll all do it together, but I don't think she could handle it right now.
So cute that Dane has his "home school" and can write his name now!
My kids quite often want me to stop singing, but it is just so hard...
Mel...thats a tough one! I remember struggling with when to go to the "real" book of mormon. As long as you are patient enough to explain practically every verse, I think you are doing great at reading the actual scripture account. We did what Becky did too with the " for families" version first...when we finished that a year later, we started with the scriptures. I am pretty sure you are getting blessings no matter what version you are reading! It snowed here today too. YUK!!! Wish spring my way and I will wish it your way! Go Dane...his name looks awesom!
I mean awesomE! Maybe Dane can give me spelling lessons! ha ha
What a sweet tender moment you captured on the couch with Milo and the boys.
As far as the box. You have to love free toys right? We had a similar one from a car seat. It seriously was loved for days.
Good for you getting into such a good habit. As of late we are totally slacking in that department.
I'm back to comment. I think I read this a few days ago and got sidetracked and now I'm like comment number 22! ANYWAY, I think five verses a night is a great goal/effort. We're still on illustrated versions. Sounds like from the comments that the slow going real deal will be worth it when we convert over. I am impressed with so many families' commitments to this.
Dane and the spiky hair is such a cute story to document.
Thanks again for the cookie tips and the mention that you've had both the breathing challenge and the mean kid without naps! Keeps me feeling like I fit within normal!
wow 22 comments-im impressed!!
i LOVE that he did the whole spikey hair for "class photo"..that is too cute--becca's being doing that stuff too-mom i need to do my homework! i tell her to draw me circles, squares and triangles--it works!
as far as reading the scriptures YES KEEP DOING IT-JUST DO THE 5 VERSES!!!!! we've been doing it when they eat breakfast, because thats when they are the QUIETEST...but now that jon is home alllll theeee timeeee he's stepped in and now has the older 3 sit down with him in the family room and they read together and discuss while im prepping dinner..it works SO GOOD..we do it at 6pm, and we eat at 630--it helps to calm the girls down too...
We started reading the Book of Mormon as a family around October or November but it's fizzled since Tom received his calling in December. I need to get it going again! Jayni was so good at reminding us. It's hard because Tom isn't home every night but I suppose I can still read it with the kids.
I love Dane's class picture! His hair is the best. I also love how he wrote his name. Pretty darn perfect!
I want to see a musical so bad. I've only seen a few by high schoolers but I want to see the real deal! The Phantom of the Opera will be in Spokane in October. I want to go so bad!
Joey and I started reading the Book of Mormon with Elise when she turned 1. We would only read 5 verses a day, because what one year old can stay still for that long. It took us a little over 4 years to finish. But it set a pattern and routine. We haven't read it together for a few months, and she misses it. We read from both illustrated, and real thing. I have the illustrated stories on tape that I play when they are going to sleep. I hope it sinks in. It did when I was little. Hang in there.
I love the box. My bro in law made a car for his little girl out of a box. She would make him sit in it with her and watch TV like they were in a drive through movie.
You are such a great mom. I love that you enjoy your kids being kids. I think we forget to do that sometimes.
Post a Comment