Sunday, April 13, 2008

Our Saturday Adventure

We did it, we went somewhere Saturday and it was the perfect ending to spring break. We were undecided even as late as Friday night on where to go. A friend that has only lived here for 18 months has seen more of this state than I have and I've lived here 2/3 of my life! Anyway, they went to Palouse Falls on Thursday and so this day trip came highly recommended. Thanks Tara! This is such a long post, feel free to skip ahead. I'm just so proud of our trip, it had to be on here, photos and all.

It is not in my nature to just jump in the car for a day trip, unless of course it involves many stores to shop in, ha. I have way too big of home body tendencies but I'm so glad we went. And I have a greater resolve to do more of them. The kids had a blast and actually so did Milo and I.

~Not too sure about my Joan Jett hair. I'm blaming it on the wind.~

I had talked to Shaila earlier in the week and she suggested making the drive to their house. But it was too far to go and get back for a baptism by 6 pm. That's when we decided to head to Palouse Falls because it was closer. Milo called Shaila in the morning, inviting them to make it a day with us. We're so glad they did! It's almost exactly half way for both of us and made for a perfect drive with the kids, even Reed.

I had to show this photo too even though it's almost the same. See the cliff off to the left there? That's the edge the crazy people below were on!! I could not stop staring at them, wondering why in the world they would choose to hike out that far. I am not a risk taker or thrill seeker so it just plain freaked me out!

Sure they are all over confident college students but still! I would....never! And then they climbed down to the other side of the falls and actually went in the water above the falls! I know it was hard to see how close they actually were since we were so far on the other side but to me they were definitely TOO close for comfort. Oh to feel so invincible.

It was SO hot! We haven't seen sun like that yet this year. Everyone but me had worn long sleeves and they were dying of heat. I'm actually glad they ended up in those shirts because everyone came home with sunburned faces and I was the only one that had pink on my arms. Poor Kat and her snow white skin, she is still really red. Off to buy the summer's supply of SPF products.

Reed slept in the stroller almost the whole time we were hiking around, the reason he's missing above. We could not have asked for him to be better, he was so good.

As we were hiking to the top, these were the signs they had posted all along the trail. The fence was almost right on the edge so to me this was pretty self explanatory. But for those that thought it was safe to be on the other side of the fence, I'm sure glad they made this clear, ha!

We watched a car parked on the top of that ledge to the right with 3 people walking and climbing all over it. With more, dare I say dumb college kids. And one was scaling down the side for photos. I love photography but never in my life would I scale a cliff like that!

At the top of the observation deck looking at the runoff of the falls. The moss and grass were so green. It was absolutely gorgeous.

There was a covered part at the top of the hill we hiked up and the kids were happy to have a place to sit and be in the shade. They had so much fun together. With so many cousins so close in age, it could be a recipe for a disaster but it isn't. I'm so glad they get along. I love my cousins (even though they teased me relentlessly for years, you know who you are) and I want that for my kids too.

Mike and Marion ended up making the drive as well and it was great to see them walking down the hill. I wont say I was 'surprised' because all of us thought they might end up coming but we weren't too sure. They had tried to call but there was no cell service. Shaila tried setting her camera up on a table to get a picture of all of us but it wasn't working out very well. So I asked the closest lady to us if she would mind snapping one. This was the best we got, not very good but better than nothing. After she takes them, she says to me, I don't have my glasses on so I'm sure they wont be that good. Well, thanks.

The day we choose for an outing, so do at least 100 biker's and their chicks (or more)! When we were setting up the picnic to every 15-20 minutes a new group of 5 or so 'hogs' would drive in revving their engines. Quinn loved it. Matt has a bike and Quinn loves the sound of a bike. He knew when more were coming in and would whip his head around to watch them driving down the hill.

There was this rock that when you went behind it you couldn't see the fence (there was one, I promise), only the falls. So we took these pictures of the kids 'climbing' up the cliff. I think Nate might be giving it away with both hands coming off.

Kat, not looking like she's climbing much either. But we love that toothless smile anyway.

Dane did the best job convincing us that he was actually climbing up that hard cliff.

Milo did get a 'bit' goofy near this rock. He was trying to swan dive (see Shaila's post) and pose with muscles. You know, manly stuff. If you click on this to make it bigger, you can see a man hiking along that ridge. There is a big trail all along that edge. NO way was I going up there. And being the over protective, worry wart of a mom that I am, I said the kids couldn't go up there unless Milo took them one at a time. He opted to not make that hike 3 times so we left it at that. Maybe when they're older. Or better yet, a trip to the falls without mom might be in order. I just get so nervous (go ahead, make fun of me Kyle)!

This was the temp as we were leaving our great day behind. Almost 80 degrees, definitely better than the 50 degree weather of last week! We had so much fun. Thanks for grilling lunch Matt, it was so much better that the peanut butter and jam sandwiches we packed! I think we need to make a Saturday trip once a month. Who's planning the next one?

15 comments:

donna said...

Oh what a wonderful Saturday. Palouse Falls is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing all the pictures.



Ok Sunday was so nice here. It was 85 :) We BBQ after church. Today is cold and windy. What is going on?!!!!

Angie said...

oh i just love love love fun day trips. this sounds exciting. you'll have to tell me how to get to those falls. whenever me and my friends head to seattle in the summer we always like to stop at the snoqualmie falls...so pretty.

Shaila Lou said...

We're so glad you invited us on the day trip. It was so much fun! My right arm is still quite red...but I'm sure by tomorrow it'll be a "tan"! All such great pictures. I ended up taking pictures off that I had loaded, I had so many!

It's all rainy and cold here today, and supposively tommorow. I'm glad we at least had a few good days.

Oh and Quinn is sick throwing up last night and today. Only twice, but he's been laying around all day. Hope he didn't pass it on!!

Heidi said...

Beautiful pictures. I have never been there. I didn't know we had that in Washington! We have been to the Dry Falls- dry meaning no water so it's not as pretty. :) Those crazy people along the cliff near the waterfall are stupid! We saw some crazy people like that when we went to the Grand Canyon. yikes.

We got sunburned too while watching Sara's softball games. It was a nice day. Gotta love it.

Leisha said...

It sounds like you guys had a ton-o-fun! Day trips are the best! The kids look all so happy. Milo as always,looks like a nerd. I'm so excited to get to see you guys soon.

Oh...the pictures are beautiful!

Rischel said...

how far of a drive was this?? We are always looking for outdoor things to do as a family. If you give me your email address, i can add you to my blog!!!!

Anna said...

I love all the pics. The one of the boys and the motorcycles is so cute. I must say your kids look hot in the pics! So fun, glad you got out!

Becky Noftle said...

I am so glad I am not one of those awful cousins you elluded too! They sound awful, luckily for me I have always treated everyone with respect and kindness. Makes sleeping at night so much easier.

Anonymous said...

I have never even heard of this place, but it's just amazing! I'm glad you could go and have it be an easy day trip -- those are hard to come by with a tiny baby.

Thanks for sharing your gorgeous pictures, and I loved the falling sign, too.

michelle said...

Gorgeous falls! Looks like a great day trip. I am totally afraid of heights, I get so nervous for other people as well! Crazy college kids. I liked the photos of the kids 'climbing'.

It was hot here yesterday for the first time, but snow and rain are forecast for today...

Melinda said...

What a fun day! We are like you and have a hard time just taking off for the day. It is alway so hard for me with the different rage of kids I have.

The pictures are great and everyonme looks so cute.

Price Cream Parlor said...

Such stunning falls! How fun to get out and just go! I am laughing at the staged photos! They looked scary!!!
Did you guys get rain and cold after the break like we did? Burrrr!

carlo said...

stunning pics! wow...and how cute is reed????????????????

Robyn said...

That sounds like such a great day. The views are beautiful and you all look like you're having so much fun. I love the photos of the kids climbing up the cliff. That's great that you could get together and enjoy the day with cousins. It's so nice the weather is warming up and we can get out and enjoy nature! Happy Spring!

Barb said...

What a gorgeous spot, outdoor fun is my favorite.