Thursday, May 29, 2008

Focus on the Good

Today I just have to focus on the good. No matter how little the good seems, I still have it. I'm not trying to sound dramatic I have been so tired this week and right now, I need to remember the good. Reed has gotten in the habit of waking up at night and it has been so hard on me. I hate being tired. He has been such a sleeping champ but right now he has a stuffy nose and a diaper rash (that he gets from pooping in his sleep!). So one or the other wakes him up at night and there has been no way to get him back to sleep without nursing him. Sleep is so important and once it's taken away, it hurts!

Just a reminder, I have so much. I have.....
  • Milo. He loves me, faults and all (there are many).
  • kids that forgive my many mistakes
  • dental insurance to pay for the cavities I got after this last pregnancy
  • ibuprofen to help my hurting mouth (I now officially don't like the dentist and it has never bothered me before)
  • a good book to read (and many waiting in the wings)
  • good friends
  • a home
  • kids that love to learn, they want me to teach them all the time. about everything.
  • a new day starting tomorrow!

16 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh dang. I had an e-mail in my head to send to you yesterday and I didn't. Three times I thought about it. It makes me mad when I miss promptings like that.

You're right, you do have some great blessings. Some days one of my blessings is: "Thank goodness this day can never return. It is over and can't ever, ever, ever come again."

You can join me in the ranks of used to like the dentist but don't anymore. Usually I like things more the older I get (like green peppers), I don't know why dentists and doctors don't fit in that category.

Here's to sleep coming your way.

Heather said...

Cheers to the end of May 29th for Mel, and cheers to the start of a great May 30th. Hope you have a better day today. Go to the store and get a diet coke and a hershey bar- it will fix anything. Love ya!

Heidi said...

Hang in there! I love my sleep too and get cranky when I don't get it. You are like Scarlet O'Hare "for tomorrow's another day" (or something like that!).

Granny DeeAnn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Granny DeeAnn said...

The old lady really know what Scarlett O'Hara said. It's one of my mottos. (Not always the best choice.) "I don't want to think about it today, if I do I'll go crazy. I'll think about it tomorrow." Also said in a very pouty voice. I'm a master at that. Glad you went to bed with this post and not the other way around. I loved our talk last night. Have a wonderful day, I'm hiding out in my office! Tee,hee

Granny DeeAnn said...

Scarlett also said:

After all ... tomorrow is another day.

That's a good thing for us to remember............... Now I'm done with GWTW trivia!

donna said...

I hope you get some rest girl..


There is always tomorrow:) Lets have lunch when you are able to get to Richland!

Barb said...

Good blessings, I like Jane's blessing suggestion too.
I hope your baby and your mouth let you get more sleep tonight!

Anonymous said...

Good for you in looking passed this day to the next one! Here's to clear nostrils to help the little one sleep!

becca said...

Oh Melanie...I am so sorry, and I feel your pain!! There is just nothing worse than lost sleep...believe me, I turn into the wicked witch without sleep...so the past 4 motnhs have not been the greatest at our house!

I love you list and love how positive you are! I hope Reed snaps out of it soon! :)

Kristin said...

melanie! I am so there with you on this! i know those days/weeks/months! way to look at the positive, i'd have never thought of that!

jenny said...

I hope today was better than yesterday. I know when I feel like that it's amazing once you start your blessing list how many you realize or forget you have. Hang in there!

Hope you have a great weekend :)

michelle said...

I know all too well how horrible it is to be sleep-deprived, Melanie. It affects everything! I'm glad you were able to step back and look for the gratitude -- that always, always helps me. And I love the blessing of a new day, sometimes that's all I have to hold onto!

Brianne said...

I have to try to focus on the good most days. Especially this last month! Between the flu, colds, and now I think Mason might have pinkeye!!! Off to the walk in clinic when Mason wakes from his nap!

Shaila Lou said...

I hate the lack of sleep. One extra wake up with a baby is too much! Funny that I was just talking to you about Winston's terrible sleeping. He's doing better now...I took away the binkie...soo sad! But actually better!

Jill said...

I'm so sorry about the sleep interruptions, those are brutal. It's just not right that you have to do that and then get up and be the mom to everyone else in the morning too.

You are wise to make a list of blessings to remind you of the good things in your life. Even though they far out number the bad, those bad things seem to make the most noise!