Wednesday, July 30, 2008

July Monthly Special

This post has been in draft form for the better half of this month. I'm finally getting around to posting the July Monthly Special from Take Out Photo. It counts even though I'm posting close to the last eve of the month right?

These photos are from our 'Day of Fun' with family a few weeks ago. This month was a challenge for me because 'round these parts' there is not much in the works architecturally. I know how lame that sounds and I'm sure there are cool photos to be taken but really with 4 kids in tow since it's summer, they weren't meant to be taken by me!

This was built for the World's Fair in 1974. It turns 34 this year and isn't looking half bad. The sky was gorgeous when we were there. You would have never known that across the city they were having major fires that put them in a state of emergency. We didn't see or smell smoke the entire day. Thank heavens.

Across the park looking back at the pavilion.

This is the metal gate protecting the door of the clock tower. I'm sure it's not as old as the clock tower (the bottom half originally built in 1902) but it was a good place to practice.

The clock tower has a cool story (they wind this baby up 99 times once a week, at least that's what the internet says, ha). But more than the cool story, I'll remember it's where we had to convince 23 people to sit and smile for the camera. Some complied and some didn't. I doubt that's much of a surprise but none the less, we still have photos of our day together. Good times, right family?

10 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What cool views, Melanie, I know I wouldn't have thought to take the views you did. Your camera takes such good pictures, too.

marc said...

I like hearing the stories behind your photos. Glad you did the architectural challenge. The link, however, was to the June challenge, so you might want to re-link it to this one and I can delete the other one.

Shaila Lou said...

Way to go Mel, you did way better then me. I only have one picture to show for. There's things I wanted to get pictures of on campus, but never had the time with three kids! Ha. Great job, we'll see if I can get my 1 up there.

Anonymous said...

Love your pictures Melanie!

Dustin and Tara said...

Can you teach me?

jenny said...

Those are very cool photos. And hey I learned something new about that clock.

Jill said...

These are very cool photos, you did a great job!

donna said...

great pictures Melanie:)!!!!!

Brenda said...

Ahh, Riverfront Park. I'm a little homesick now. Great pics!

michelle said...

I love these photos!